MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before, even from myself. But I'm curious on a few things...

1) After riding, does almost everyone's F4's pee out coolant from the overflow valve? Or is it hit and miss....

2) Is it just the F4's, or is it Agusta's in general?

I had it serviced recently and they filled the coolant up with engine ice to the top(ish). It obviously started spitting it out as soon as I got her home. I figured I'd test it out and let her keep on pee'ing, thinking she'd stop once it settled to the minimum mark. Well, as of today, it's below the min mark and she's still doing it. So now I think....

3) Do I continue to let her pee and see how far it'll go before settling down? If so, is it possible the coolant could get so slow damage to the engine could occur? Or....

4) Just except the fact she has a small bladder and buy a funnel and engine ice and keep adding a little in each time to the min mark?

Number 4 just seems silly when you're talking about a $20+k motorcycle...I've also installed DC's water pump, Samco hoses, and Muzzy fans so she runs as cool as she's gonna. High temps are never a concern when riding...curious what others experience with this....

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Sounds like air is trapped in the system.Needs a big burp.There is a trick to removing air by leaning the bike over to the left,then the right as far as possible with the cap removed (2 man job),then as Dave has said only fill expansion tank to min level when cold.When I change coolant I fill fill the bottom radiator first by removing the connecting hose,then re-connect the hose and fill through the tank.Never had problems with that method.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm with Mitch and Donsy. When I first had my F4 it did the same thing. I drained the system and changed to engine ice. Burped the system as I filled it and the level hasn't ever changed and no embarrassing puddles when I stop.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting...thanks guys. If all it takes is taking the radiator cap off, leaning it to the far left, then far right, and wait for a bubble to pop, I'll do it. Now, if it only works as easy as it sounds!

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
What year is your bike Chris ?

On my 312 it was spitting as you say after being filled by the dealer.

Took plastic cap off header. Warmed the engine to approx 80 deg C

Bubbles emerged...during this process. It helps to jiggle the bike a little.

Stop the engine. When cooled a little cap back on. Went for a 20 minute ride.

Let it cool . I left it til next day. Repeated the process.

End of.

There is nothing wrong with the bike. Dealers fill them and spend five minutes getting the air out. It isnt enough.

It doesnt matter if the bike is 2k 20k or 200k

Physics is physics.

Joe

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year is your bike Chris ?
It's a 2006. I'm going to give this a go. Any harm in bringing the coolant level back to the min mark by using distilled water? It only needs a splash, and don't wanna buy a jug of engine ice if it's not needed....

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
It's a 2006. I'm going to give this a go. Any harm in bringing the coolant level back to the min mark by using distilled water? It only needs a splash, and don't wanna buy a jug of engine ice if it's not needed....
Just do that process two or three times Chris and all will be fine.

To illustrate the point...Imagine a pan of water being brought to the boil.Little bubbles appear. The same is happening inside your cooling system after filling.

They have to go somewhere.

A dealer isn't likely to spend time over two or three sessions doing this process.

I have done it a few times now and no issues what so ever.

If you leave the air in there then when you stop the bike there is a rapid soak of engine heat into the coolant. There is no air flowing/ circulation to cool it and any air in there expands...and just like a little bambino..It pukes lol :wtf:

Joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I can't imagine a lil splash doing on iota of harm..

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's recommended not to add anything to engine ice except more engine ice.

And of course you need 1 and a bit bottles!

·
Registered
372 Posts
In a high tech machine is better to use high tech products.
Propylene glycol is made for diesel engines who revs low ratings. Is viscous and greasy .
Better to use wetting agents to improve exchange on head and avoiding microbubbles.
I use DEI on my track machine, the ponnies lost by overheating are back....:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took plastic cap off header. Warmed the engine to approx 80 deg C

Bubbles emerged...during this process. It helps to jiggle the bike a little.

Stop the engine. When cooled a little cap back on. Went for a 20 minute ride.

Let it cool . I left it til next day. Repeated the process
I just read this again. Just to confirm, you're saying to remove the plastic cap off the fill tank, start the bike (with the cap off) and let it run till it warms up till around 80c and look for some bubbles to emerge? I'll try this next, but I thought for whatever reason the cap had to be on to seal the system or whatever. Just wanted to confirm before trying this next.

·
Super Moderator
22,108 Posts
Sealing the system raises the operating pressure and therefore the operating boiling point of the system.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes but dont let it boil and dont ride it like that.
The idea is to get the air to expand and rise to the top
Thats how I did it..a number of times. : )
Joe

Of course not. It won't leave the garage while doing this. We tried the leaning trick yesterday but it didn't do much. After a 233 mile ride today it left its mark all along the way. This will be the last ride till I get this straightened out. It ran nice and cool all day, but I can't see any coolant in the tank at the moment. So, Tuesday I'll buy some engine ice, top it off, and try Joe's trick.

On a side note, she pulled all the way to 175mph and was sounding strong :yo:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Poured some coolant in it, took the cap off and fired her up. Let her heat up till about 180F. Right around that temp the coolant started to rise to the top so I shut her down. I was shaking her the entire time. Maybe some bobbles came up, maybe not...hard to tell. Anyways, I'll let her cool down and repeat a few more times before taking her for a spin. Hope I'm doing it right, thanks!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts