MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am a proud owner of a MV Brutale 910 S and it is a great bike.
My only real issue is that i need to top the Coolant up every second ride . As i live in the city of Sydney it does get hot , but I should not have to do this should i ???
The Bike was purchased new by me and it is standard other than my new Rizoma Mirrors. The bike runs cool on the highway but when the temp is over 96 , coolant drips from the overflow at the lights.
Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Regards

John:f4:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Are you sure your really NEEDING to top it up all the time? Are you filling the overflow right up to the top of the bottle? You don't need to do this. This is the reason its overflowing all the time as coolant expands with heat. The overflow bottle needs to be maintained 'when cold' between the Max and Min marks. This in turn give the bottle room to expand when coolant gets hot and also coolant to recover back to the radiator when it cools down.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am a proud owner of a MV Brutale 910 S and it is a great bike.
My only real issue is that i need to top the Coolant up every second ride . As i live in the city of Sydney it does get hot , but I should not have to do this should i ???
The Bike was purchased new by me and it is standard other than my new Rizoma Mirrors. The bike runs cool on the highway but when the temp is over 96 , coolant drips from the overflow at the lights.
Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Regards

John:f4:
Likely..air in the system....When you stop..heat from engine block shunts into coolant jacket which as not circulating as fast as when under way and is also not being cooled by rad as much as bike is stationary at lights causes expansion of the air pocket which shoves coolant up into the bottle and then you get the drips from the overflow.

How I cured it...

From cold. with fluid at correct level as per manual....take off coolant cap....start the bike and let temp build to about 80 deg...ie do not let it boil. bubbles should rise...On my F4 I tilt bike left to right a few times to release air trapped in the lower parts of the rads.

Let the bike cool down..top up if necessary.

Ride the bike

I repeated this a few times over the next few days..Problem solved.

Conclusion...It is unlikely to succeed at filling and purging the rad of air in one go..It takes a bit of method..but not alot !

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
You should not have too much issue with air in the system like some do on the F4's, do NOT fill your coolant higher than the LOW level with the bike up straight and cooled down.

And congrats with the new bike and welcome to the forum mate.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
You should not have too much issue with air in the system like some do on the F4's, do NOT fill your coolant higher than the LOW level with the bike up straight and cooled down.

And congrats with the new bike and welcome to the forum mate.
Hi Donsy

Do you recommend that fill to the lower level at cold on the oe F4 1000R too Donsy ? I know u have alot of experience of keeping your bikes cool in difficult conditions..

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi Joe

Hi Donsy

Do you recommend that fill to the lower level at cold on the oe F4 1000R too Donsy ? I know u have alot of experience of keeping your bikes cool in difficult conditions..

joe
Absolutely Joe, I never filled mine over the LOW mark before I did the oil cooler conversion.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Some problem with my 750s!
If you search on the forum you'll find that more people have this "problem"

Just dont't fill her up above the LOW level, never had any heating problems until now !

Cheers,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice. I have been carefull not to overfill the overflow tank so i do not think that is the issue. When the bike was new it did cough up a bit.
Now it seems to leave the overflow tank empty every second outing.
I will try to run the engine with the cap off so I can purge all of the Air from the cooling system.
I would love to change the coolant to engine Ice but i am worried i will do more damage than good.
Regards

John

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hey

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice. I have been carefull not to overfill the overflow tank so i do not think that is the issue. When the bike was new it did cough up a bit.
Now it seems to leave the overflow tank empty every second outing.
I will try to run the engine with the cap off so I can purge all of the Air from the cooling system.
I would love to change the coolant to engine Ice but i am worried i will do more damage than good.
Regards

John
What damage do you mean ? Never heard of Engine Ice damaging motors. There is also Redline Waterwetter which is very good too.
Okay, we get a bit warmer than many other places around, get some Muzzy blades as a cheap helper but a improved waterpump or upgraded impellar should do the trick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
I am sure the engine ice is ok . I am worried about air pockets i may end up in the system. Although i have a feeling this is what i might have. I will run the bike with the overflow cap off and see how we go.

Regards

John

·
Registered
449 Posts
My 1090RR also leaked from the overflow. It leaked quite a bit then settled down. I have let it dribble out and have not topped it up because it will settle at the level that it is comfortable at. It never overheats, runs perfectly and has now stopped dribbling coolant.

Basically I'm going to leave it alone until the temp. gauge tells me different.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
John, Where in Sydney are you ?

We've all been through the belching coolant issues, as the other guys have said, top it up to the low mark when cold, repeat as necessary and it will settle down eventually....

Cheers
Rich

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've owned mine since new, and it always has a wee the first time, and then again after each service (garage obviously tops up the fluid). No problem really.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Guys

I have found the issue. I have a leak around the pump seal. As the bike heated up i spoted some coolant at the bottom of the coolant pump, and as the bike ran hotter the coolant continued to drip out. Slow drips but constant.

Now, how is the best way to proceed ?
I am mechanical but i do not have the special tools for the hoses.

Regards

John :jsm:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
John,

Are you sure its the seal and not fluid from the overflow pipe which on my bike was causing the same as you describe ?

·
Registered
851 Posts
JA01 are you sure you have pinpointed the leak? I thought I had a leak at the pump and it turned out to be the ClicR hose clamp causing the feed hose to leak after it stood Of course it was at the back so you couldn't see it...

·
Vendor
5,403 Posts
Sorry for commenting in the Brutale section when I own a F4,but when I bought my 1078 new it was spewing coolant out when I stopped for a break,then through the forum I found out to keep the level in the tank to minimum and problem solved,so all the guys have given you the right advice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts