MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm not sure if i'm going blind but I topped the coolant tank up to the max line the other day on my F4R 750 and decided to check it today to see how it was and it was about 1cm above the max line! I'm not sure if this is something to get worried about or should I just bleed the excess and be done with it. Just to note I have been experiencing temperatures of up to 100 - 105C in traffic but mainly 80-90 sometimes less at the moment in winter. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

James

·
Administrator
18,819 Posts
Coolant level will vary up and down slightly under normal operation. If the engine was extremely cool when you topped up the resevoir, and was slightly warm when you checked again then the level would likely be somewhat higher.

If I'm not mistaken, overfilling the resvoir on the F4 is common cause of overflowing. Seems I have read more then once to maintain coolant level nearer the minimum mark on cool engines.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
esq'z me said:
Coolant level will vary up and down slightly under normal operation. If the engine was extremely cool when you topped up the resevoir, and was slightly warm when you checked again then the level would likely be somewhat higher.

If I'm not mistaken, overfilling the resvoir on the F4 is common cause of overflowing. Seems I have read more then once to maintain coolant level nearer the minimum mark on cool engines.
That would make some sense as it was cold when i topped it up and piping hot after riding when i checked it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
jamesclarke said:
Ok, I'm not sure if i'm going blind but I topped the coolant tank up to the max line the other day on my F4R 750 and decided to check it today to see how it was and it was about 1cm above the max line! I'm not sure if this is something to get worried about or should I just bleed the excess and be done with it. Just to note I have been experiencing temperatures of up to 100 - 105C in traffic but mainly 80-90 sometimes less at the moment in winter. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

James
James,
I would err on the side of caution :stopp: when topping up the resevoir. Overfilling can cause the engine to dump coolant at the end of a ride.
Heard this happen on plenty of 1000s but not sure about the 750.
Advice generally is keep it between max and min.
There are a load of threads on this site about this, so I would check them out.
Tont

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
fazer6 said:
Air in the system
I have that problem quite a lot. It really pisses off my wife.....:stickpoke

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Its time to add a little more as the bike is running high temps on every ride.
That wont make any difference to the running temperature, because the cooling system itself will already be full. You're simply adding more to the expansion tank.

The reason the expansion tank is there is that when the system is hot, the water expands in the coolong system and so to prevent the system from bursting, it expands into the tank. When the water cools it gets sucked back in. The reason there's a min level marker at all is that if the level were too low then it's feasible that air could get sucked in during the cooling and that may create air pockets in the system.

Si

1 - 14 of 14 Posts