MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do the coolant on the F4 this weekend, and just found out that the Water Wetter that I usually use on my bikes are no longer available in Sydney.au. This really sucks.

So I am planning to use genuine Toyota coolant as this has very similar properties as water wetter. Toyota coolant is possibly one of the best coolant that I have used and easy to get.

Looking at the service manual, it looks simple enough to change, but I am wondering if there are anything to look out for or any gotcha??

Is there any air bleed points that I need to specially look out for, as I hate getting air stuck in the cooling system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
damn good questions.

the service manual calls for this stuff, in a 60/40 ratio with distilled water:
http://www.agip.eni.it/rmit/agip/SchedaProdotto.do?channelId=-1073757706&da_dove_arrivo=da_menu&[email protected]|0?xoidcmWopk&[email protected]|0?xoidcmWopk&catId=-1073757650&cntTypeId=1008&portalId=0&lang=en&sessionId=3381968&codProd=001635

i'm not sure exactly what's in the AGIP coolant. i've attached the product spect sheet, so you can take a look and see for yourself.

until someone can figure out if the AGIP is silicate free and is made with organic acids, i'd stick with the OEM spec'd coolant. and that's what i'm going to put in there when i do a coolant change.

as for doing the replacement, the only heads-up i've seen is that you should sqeeze all the rubber coolant hoses after you've re-filled the system to push any air out of it.

also, the manual suggest that you fill the system through the-overflow reservoir (not directly into the radiator) and run the bike up to the fan turn-on point to make sure the level is right. repeat it once (at least).

btw, here's a little popular mechanics article on coolants in general
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/1272436.html

that's all i've got. hope it helps.

alex

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
When I goto do my coolant change, I'm using this stuff:

http://www.evanscooling.com/

Not neccessarily for it's cooling properties, but for the fact it's water free, making my coolant system virtually pressure free. It too is silicate free, so it's safe to use in our bikes...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
jamesC uses that engine ice stuff too. has been for a while. it's actually not ethylene glycol, but propylene glycol (which is non-toxic). he swears by it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I might pop in the bike shop this morning and try to get some engine ice. The importer in Aussie has a local reseller not far from my place.yeeepie.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
How do you drain the coolant system? I tried to do mine as per the workshop manual yesterday and as I unscrewed the "thing" next to the oil filter, (is it a heat exchanger, or something?), oil started running out. Can this only be done during an oil change?

Si

Edit: Huh.. that's interesting. I was working from the Workshop Manual, Section B page 17, which gives different instructions from Section L page 5.

·
Registered
184 Posts
BTW, dont follow the PDF Manual for a 02 750.. It told me to unscrew a bolt on what seemed to be the water pump near the radiator.. this was not the correct drain plug on my bike.. my drain plug was back near my left shin... Go figure..

C/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts