MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going? New guy here, toying with the idea of a Brutale S 750. I guess I'm wondering how ownership is with this beautiful bike day to day. Does it require any special care, just seems like I can't find that much info about these on the web. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Ctrlaltdelete said:
Hows it going? New guy here, toying with the idea of a Brutale S 750. I guess I'm wondering how ownership is with this beautiful bike day to day. Does it require any special care, just seems like I can't find that much info about these on the web. Any input is appreciated.
I have a 910 and enjoy it. It's a fun bike to ride. It's not the perfect bike for every situation, but it's a lot of fun and has a cool distinctive look.

The 910 is my second MV and so far I'd give them high marks for fit and reliability. There have been a few people with problems, probably like most brands, but overall I think they're good reliable bikes. they don't require any special maintenance.

Probably the only downside is the availability of parts can sideline you. Simply put, there aren't as many of them out there, so sometimes getting a part can take awhile. Not always, but it can happen.

Like others said, let us know if you have any other questions and we'll do the best we can to answer them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a Brutale 750 and highly recommend it. It's been reliable, and has run well through the winter. I find it comfortable on relatively long rides. Other than true touring, I think it's ideal - particularly for shorter riders (like myself). Do not hestitate! It's the essence of motorcycling :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I owned a matte black 750 (view my gallery) and it freakin owns. Got a 910 now and it freakin owns too. :) :smoking:

only negative to owning it for day to day is parking it where you cant see it, people will approach it and look it over EVERY SINGLE PLACE YOU GO. So either an alarm or something may be required for peace of mind when you take it places.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.

These are just too good looking. I do like that I won't see one at every stop sign, though, as mentioned parts "could" be a pain to get. I know folks with some jap bikes that have waited for parts as well so.........Hopefully I can pull the trigger here in a few weeks to a month. Couple more questions, I've heard of these having lower than usual MPG's, less than 30 to the mile. Also do they need to be rechipped with a different exhaust? And finally, who makes a nice set of rearsets for these, I'm 6'2 with an 11 shoe size. Seat to peg is not bad but it's tight from peg to shift/brake lever. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
777 said:
about 20-23 mpg
This still puzzles me. I wonder how MV gets these bikes into the US past the EPA that mandates clean (lean) running engines.

Every stock and modified bike I get on my dyno runs extremely lean, Harleys, BMW's and just about every other bike out there except MV's. Every MV comes in dog rich and I have to map out tons of fuel to get them back to an also (slightly) rich 13.2/1 air fuel ratio.

Owners tell me they get better gas mileage but none have actually measured it.

I'll do much more research when I get my own 910R on the dyno. (for a proper break in :naughty: )

John

·
Registered
593 Posts
yes my 750 had pathetic gas mileage. i was the only person in group rides who had to constantly fill up. my 910 however is getting great gas mileage compared to my 750.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
13.0-13.2 usually makes the most power on most liquid cooled 4 cylinder bikes (lean is mean) and 12.8-13.0 for most air cooled bikes.

These are general ratios and I usually map bikes a little leaner at cruise, 13.4-13.6 for better gas mileage.( if the owner is concerned with that)

Exceptions do exist however. Some Suzukis like a very rich part throttle setting (12.6)

Once my 910R gets on the dyno I'll see what makes the best power a/f wise. :conveyer:

John

·
Registered
593 Posts
airfuel said:
BOTH!! :grin:

(well,I meant vibrate but give it all)

John
At the present moment im experiencing some unknown vibration sounds on my 910. I tightened up a few things near the front of the bike (like the removable silver panels near the radiator) and have yet to ride it to see if that helped. if not i will let the dealership try to find the "problem". 750 didnt have this problem. 910 engine is much better imo. Power throughout instead of just at upper rpms. I do like having my bike rev high and the 750 rev'ed higher for the same power........... Aside from the power, they are pretty much similar. my headlight will switch to brights randomly so maybe there is something going on with that (vibration sounds).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
airfuel said:
Once my 910R gets on the dyno I'll see what makes the best power a/f wise
John
Hi John, sorry not to have highlighted that I was talking about my experience with the best throttle response and rideability over the long term, not power.

Have you already read Brad's excellent tune writeup?

TPS:
http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tuning-1-throttle-position-sensor-tps.html

TB/CO:
http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tuning-2-idle-base-co-and-throttle.html

..and if you are chaing the eprom for ignition:
http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tuning-3-eprom-replacement.html

I'd hate to see all that time on a dyno and the bike not baselined. Brad's writeup has taken what used to be black science with these bikes and made it easy to understand and doable in the garage.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes, I have seen and printed each article, very good stuff indeed.

These setting and procedures are a must to make a bike run as good as the factory intended, but these do nothing to change the mapping of the bike at all throttle positions. (of couse all the settings in the articles will be checked before my bike goes on the dyno)

Most bikes are crippled by EPA mandates and the clean air act. These bikes benefit greatly from having fuel curves, as well as timing curves altered for best driveability/horsepower.

Setting CO levels at idle can make a bike run better, but this just adds or subtracts fuel from the entire fuel curve. Changing the map involves either burning a new chip, ( usually a one shot deal) or using aftermarket devices like Power Commanders or TFI boxes.

Most bikes fuel pretty good at wide open throttle. It is at part throttle that fueling usually needs improvement. Part throttle is where you spend most of your time riding and improvements here can really be felt.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So,why then, do these come from MV so rich? Running these this rich is for emissions? Forgive me as I don't know that much about these bikes. It's apples to oranges , I know, but with my cummins if I fuel it to hard it will smoke which is like spitting horsepower out the tail pipe. Not to mention the increase in EGT's. We need to add more air as we dump more diesel in to get a correct burn. I just don't understand the reasoning for the rich mixture, but as long as it can be sorta corrected than it's not to bad. It just sounds weird that I'd have a bike that gets fuel economy like my jeep. And, yes, fuel economy isn't the point of the bike, and probably won't keep me from getting one of these muscular looking pieces of ridable art.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Good question!

Like I stated before, the only bikes I have seen come rich across the board is MV. Some bikes come rich at some points, but not as bad as the MV's.

The new Harleys come so lean from the factory they pop and run very poorly. Add some pipes and an airfilter like 98% of them do and you have a bike running so lean, exhaust valves start burning.

BMW's are also lean as they target Stoich (14.7) as a target a/f. Just one step leaner and they start lean missfireing. The dreaded BMW surge.
Much better to run rich as opposed to running too lean.

Still puzzles me about MV. :confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts