MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am considering purchasing the new F4 1000R. I am coming from the world of Japanese sport bikes and this would easily be the biggest bike purchase I have made, so I am a little apprehensive. I really like this bike mainly for its style and exclusivity and feel like I am at the point in my riding career where I would like this type of bike.
For those of you that have made a similar switch can you give me honest feedback as far as the switch. Was it worth it? What bike did you come from? How is the bike in overall daily use (ride quality, performance, handling and reliability)? How is dealer and company support?

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
RobP, welcome to MVAgusta.net! There are a handful of new R owners that have given a lot of great feedback about the MV, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Where are you located? This might help on the dealer support. :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Welcome Rob. :) I've only got the S version so I can't comment on the R. :bawling: I'll leave that to those lucky individuals who have just got one. I don't think you would regret buying any MV, they are simply superb functional works of art IMO. :drummer:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
RobP said:
Hello,
I am considering purchasing the new F4 1000R. I am coming from the world of Japanese sport bikes and this would easily be the biggest bike purchase I have made, so I am a little apprehensive. I really like this bike mainly for its style and exclusivity and feel like I am at the point in my riding career where I would like this type of bike.
For those of you that have made a similar switch can you give me honest feedback as far as the switch. Was it worth it? What bike did you come from? How is the bike in overall daily use (ride quality, performance, handling and reliability)? How is dealer and company support?
Hi Rob, I see you are considering an F41000R. Where are you located in which country? Redgards Peter.

·
Registered
337 Posts
hey rob, i have ad my F4 for five months now and I have always owned a Jap bike.....I finally reache that pinnicle that you are now at and purchased. I would say it is definitely worth the purchase. everywhere i go people stare and take pics and conversate about the bike...i still ride with all my partners and when it comes to handling there is nothing better in my opinion....may not be as fast in the point and shoot as some of the jap's like the ZX10, etc....but worth the buy! Bottom line, if it is what you want then pull the trigger!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am in Sacramento, California. I think the closest dealer is in SF, but I would definitely travel to get a good price. Do dealers typically deal with these bikes or is there enough demand for dealers to mark them up? Will they also let you test ride?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I recently went from an 05 R1 to an 05 MV F4S 1000. Incredible bike for sure and NO regrets.

Ergos are a little different, more agressive. The F4 750 is even more agressive.

Can't blip the throttle on the shifts because of EBS but otherwise a great bike and rails through corners (feels more planted IMO) Read JamesC's FAQ on EBS and how it works
http://www.mvfaq.blogspot.com/

The weight of the bike feels more in the front than most Japanese bikes. It is also taller ~33 inches. look for recent thread about seat height etc http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2852

Ppl always complain about how bikes perform or compare to other bikes and what I mean by that if you make one adjustment when riding they think that very same adjustment applies to another bike. Sometimes riding styles have to be adjusted significantly to get the same effect...which can be difficult.

As for parts and support it seems to be getting better, yes you may have to wait for parts, but it is to be expected when you compare the factory size and logistics compared to Japanese bike manufacturers and their dealer network.

·
Registered
420 Posts
RobP said:
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I am in Sacramento, California. I think the closest dealer is in SF, but I would definitely travel to get a good price. Do dealers typically deal with these bikes or is there enough demand for dealers to mark them up? Will they also let you test ride?
Our delaership will let you test ride everything they have when there is a demo bike in the shop.

Dealing, it depends on demand and the yr. I got a good deal on mine because it was an 05 and the 06's were coming out. I could have waited for an 06 but I wanted the blue and silver paint scheme which was only for 05.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Rob

I got an R about 2 weeks ago. I had a 2005 Ducati 749R before that and a Jap bike before that. The MV puts those in their place. Looks are simply amazing.. personally i dont think thats up for discussion. Park it next to ANY exotic car or bike and the MV is the clear winner. I have heard many times already.. "this is the most beautiful motorcycle i've ever seen."
As for performance.. it is simply a rocket. I'm not a professional by any stretch.. but i know performance when i'm knee deep in it.. and this thing has an engine that makes you realize you just "boarded" it. The engine never stops hitting hard and surges forward at exactly 5k rpm like extra cylinders came online. The Brembo front brakes are great.. the rear caliper is the only part of the bike i'd change. The suspension is excellent and the feedback from the chasis is better than the Duc. The Duc's suspension was slightly nicer (Ohlins all around) The bikes are priced about the same... i sold the Duc after test riding the MV.. there's simply no comparison. I'm gonna stop my momentum on writing about my bike. If you do make it down to LA I would be happy to ride with you and introduce you to the guys at ProItalia (LA's MV dealer).

Feel free to PM me if youd like to chat or have any questions.
The riders in Europe have had the bike longer and are much more advanced riders then me. I'm sure they would be happy to give you their impressions too.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Welcome. MV has made a lot of improvements on the F4 and in their dealer network in the last 3 years. In terms of the Southwest, you only had a dealer in Tucson, AZ and San Diego prior to 2003. Now, there are MV dealers in Scottsdale, AZ, Tucson, AZ, and Los Angeles, CA. I've deal with all three dealership and their level of professionalism is noticeably different from most Japanese dealers.

In terms of the MV, I personally feel it's the best handling bike I've ever ridden because it offers a lot of frontend back. My reference points are a '02 & '04 R1, 748, 996, 999. The MV handling feedback is better than all of them but similar to the 748/996. I did feel the R1's were more flickable than the MV. I only test ridden two F41000S and the two negative comments I have is an abrupt intial throttle. Like they say, it's sort of on or off but it's not too bad. The other issue is the brakes. The Nissen don't have the bite like the R1 or Ducati's brembo. That being said, I've heard the F41000R version has a smoother throttle application due to the new ECU and radial brakes. So, the exclusiveness is nice but performance-wise, the F41000S and all the more the R ROCKS!!!! Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Rob,

I recently had the privalege of riding an F4R ~500 miles leading spirited demo rides thru Ohio countryside.

I LOVED the bike, and damn if I could differentiate it performance wise from my Tamburini. It is a racing rocket; EVERY aspect of the bike I loved. Acceleration/mapping, handling at speed and braking, fabulous! Nasty Nasty Nasty in the BEST ways!

If I was in mkt for an F4, I'd spend the extra$$.

Be prepared to break the law repeatedly; these machines love to go fast fast :later: . It DEMANDS being taken to the track.

Goodluck; that machine has a dark soul........ :devilsmok

Peter

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
RobP said:

you live in SACRAMENTO?
wow...
you are the luckiest guy in THIS country
www.pashnit.com country
the best roads on earth, as far as i am concerned
you can have fun riding a 150cc SCOOTER in YOUR part of the US :)
buy the F4 1000 R please

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
spalding12 said:
you live in SACRAMENTO?
wow...
www.pashnit.com country
buy the F4 1000 R please
Sac would be a great place to ride! Although..

As far as I'm concerned, the Bay area is the best place on earth :king: :later:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spalding12 said:
you live in SACRAMENTO?
wow...
www.pashnit.com country
buy the F4 1000 R please

Well, I'm not sure about that. I am slowly finding the good roads thanks to Pashnit, but it isn't as convenient as when I lived in San Jose. Everything there was right outside my back door, not I have to put in 30 miles just to get to a decent road. Still not bad though.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
RobP said:
Well, I'm not sure about that. I am slowly finding the good roads thanks to Pashnit, but it isn't as convenient as when I lived in San Jose. Everything there was right outside my back door, not I have to put in 30 miles just to get to a decent road. Still not bad though.
where i live..... you have to put in 600 miles to get to a decent road
and that is NO JOKE.... trust me

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
spalding12 said:
where i live..... you have to put in 600 miles to get to a decent road
and that is NO JOKE.... trust me

I've been to Florida, I can totally understand. I only complain because of how good I had it. In contrast to a lot of other places I am fortunate.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts