MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's finally time to put my trusted and well used shoe X11 to rest, since it has been in use for almost 3 years now. My last three helmets were all Shoeis (xr 800, xr 1000, x11) and I am very pleased with the fit, comfort, weight, ventilation and quietness of Shoei helmets in general. The logical thing would be for me to get the new X12, but ever since I tried the Bell M5X carbon at Eicma in November, I had that helmet at the back of my mind. I was really impressed with the quality of design and finish, and the most amazing thing is how light it is, being 1.2 Kg.

I have read some reviews of the helmet, and they all suggest that it is very good, and it has scored with 5 stars at the SHARP tests. Does anyone have any experience with this helmet, or in general with Bell? I know that most modern helmets offer very good protection, but because I value the safety of my head quite highly, I would prefer to get some opinions on the matter before taking the decision!

I am not considering AGV, Shark or Arai, because they don't feel as comfortable as I would like !

Let's hear your thoughts :blah:

(here's a link of the M5X : http://www.bell-motohelmets.com/eng/m5x_carbon.asp )

Attachments

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
that is hot i want one
dam i want one
im in love
i love the color red for linning
unfortunately we dont have bell in australia
well i have all the helmets you mentioned and i hate them all, shark is prob my favourite though

im going to buy onr

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fell in love with it when I tried it! It feels just like having a hat on! We don't have Bell in Cyprus either, i'll have to order it from the U.K!

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
Don't think that model is sold in US...yet.

I have a Star...I like it. Fit was a little loose, size wize. I ordered one size smaller than I wear in other brands, but have read that they have addressed this with latest models.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Odd that a Bell helmet isn't sold in the USA...where are they made? Great looking helmet though, looks really good with the red lining against the CF.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Don't think that model is sold in US...yet.

I have a Star...I like it. Fit was a little loose, size wize. I ordered one size smaller than I wear in other brands, but have read that they have addressed this with latest models.
Don't listen to Ed. He has the smallest head I've ever seen on a grown adult........:stickpoke

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fit is quite similar to my Shoei x11. What's strange about Bell is that they are the top name in formula 1, but in motorcycle racing they are almost non existent.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw that one on the web Totale, but unfortunately we don't have a Bell importer here in Cyprus. I had tried the M5X in Italy but not the M4R. It's certainly quite cheaper and still looks good, but I don't know about the fit!

·
Administrator
18,847 Posts
What's strange about Bell is that they are the top name in formula 1, but in motorcycle racing they are almost non existent.
"Back in the day" when i was racing Bell was the ONLY helmet in the US for serious racers and riders. Every AMA expert wore a Bell.
In the motorcycle shops we had signs reading "If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet. If your head is worth more then buy a Bell."
Then Easton purchased Bell and moved production to Asia. Other manufacturers such as Shoei and Arai began producing much better equipment and Bell development shifted away from powersports and into bicycles.
The Bell brand became known as a cheap helmet and was sold at Wal-Marts and such. Motorcycle shops quit carrying Bell.
Now Bell is making a concerted effort to come back to the US motorcycle market and launched the new Star a couple of years ago as a premium helmet with lots of development.
So far still not many shops carrying the brand, and only a couple of riders sponsored. No support at the major races like Arai, and Shoei offer.
It seems that Bell international and Bell USA are on 2 different levels??

·
Registered
517 Posts
Back in years gone by, only a Bell would ever grace my bonce. Total confidence in the product at that time. Then as mentioned they went off and produced helmets to a price and leisure helmets etc.

Not looked at [touched] any up close recently but the new ones appear to be a good product looking at spec only.

Allan

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The M5X Carbon has finally arrived!!! The quality and finish is excellent, the design and the aerodynamics on the helmet are much better than my Shoei X11, and it feels very stable at speed! The whole helmet with the visor on weighs just over 1kg and as you pick up speed, it is something that you definitely feel!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts