MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been toying with the idea of buying an F4. I have ridden Ducati for the last twenty years so I am familiar with Italian bikes. My question is I have noticed a lot of 2005 through 2007 F4 for sale on Ebay and they seem to either not be selling or selling for very low prices. I have seen them go from $7,900 to $10,000. depending on year and mileage. The number for sale and the low prices make me worried there is a problem with the early 1000s.

Anyone have any advice as to what to avoid or am I just worrying too much?

If this is an old thread and you can refer me to past discussions I would appreciate it.

Jim

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hello and welcome. As you have many years experiance with Ducati's check out the prices of an 07 1098!!!!! Unfortunatly everything loses value. You'll be best going for a 1000R out later as these have better equipment. There's a few faults with stock machines like the fans, overheating etc but it's an easy cheap mod and you will never regret buying an MV. I had a 998 Ducati for 3 years as this was my dream bike but then I started working selling F4's and I was converted forever now I'm a proud owner of a F41000R and I never look back :0)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just like expensive cars, they plummet like mad when compared to something dirt cheap.

They need to be cheap for the masses to be able to afford them and the masses buy cheap bikes on the used market.

They are an awesome bike to buy used because of the savings. They are a shit of a thing to buy new because of the depreciation.

IMO they are a bike that you keep and never sell. I had an F4 and i regret selling it despite it being crippling to ride. Such a nice looking bike!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Ha - so the later machines have a better equipment - well that can be debated , they may have better brakes and a few more ponies like the earlier machines but do yourself a favor and search through this forum . I for one prefer earlier bikes , ( 05-06) You can get one in great shape for a very reasonable price. Generaly, thy are well look after bikes so find yourself what you like and enjoy !!!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Welcome Capo,
After riding Ducati's you'll love the MV's. Totally different bike in so many ways but just as thrilling.
I'd go for at least a 1000R. There are some awesome deals out there on good low mileage bikes especially since the new model has been released. Most of these deals will still have more room for negotiations.
As others have said, search through this forum and you find answers to everything you can imagine.
cheers

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum Capo.

You should have titled this thread 'Close to A Decison' those words work wonders around here :laughing: That's an inside joke but if you look at that thread - you'll soon get it ;)

As for the cheap prices - that says one thing to me - buy! buy! buy! :yo:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Get a 2007 or above so you can have the radial brakes and lighter wheels.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of buying an F4. I have ridden Ducati for the last twenty years so I am familiar with Italian bikes. My question is I have noticed a lot of 2005 through 2007 F4 for sale on Ebay and they seem to either not be selling or selling for very low prices. I have seen them go from $7,900 to $10,000. depending on year and mileage. The number for sale and the low prices make me worried there is a problem with the early 1000s.

Anyone have any advice as to what to avoid or am I just worrying too much?

If this is an old thread and you can refer me to past discussions I would appreciate it.

Jim
hi Jim

MV's are nothing like Ducati's :f4:

If you are a hand's on machinically wise you will love them and the bonus is this members site.
It will surly keep you and your MV going through thick and thin.

You can pick one up cheap at the moment and if you don't like it ( but that won't happen) you won't lose on reselling :stickpoke

·
Registered
215 Posts
Price Drop? Say it with me now....

RE-CES-SION

Everything drops in price when economies get bad. Bigger hits go to large ticket items. We purchased a car which I could not have touched for $200K 5 years ago for $125K last year. Only reason I bought it! Even maintenance costs for it have taken a hit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep,
Prices are rock bottom at the moment for what you get in return....

Best bet, is do some research here, read some magazine reviews, but most important, jag a test ride
or two....Then you will know !

I have seen such bargains that I am tempted to just buy another one because they are so cheap !

Good luck !
Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
332 Posts
Capo, if your question is what to look for (especially with a low price) it is the same with any used machine i.e. look for a service history, if possible look at the bike for signs of abuse etc etc

I had ducatis myself and neglected machinery from Italy does not age good. Otherwise +1 to what others say, low price is not necessarily a bad thing.

Since you had Ducatis (I assume pre-Texas Pacific period 1998 as well) yes MVs also could present a couple of problems so be patient, these are easily solved with the help of forum here too. Other than that it is a hell of a bike

P.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For those who have asked yes my experience with Ducati includes a 79 900 SS bevel drive, a F1B, 851, 888, 900 SS/SP, 916, 999, Sr2 1000, Hypermotard, Paul Smart, well you get the idea. I do my own valves on the two valves but the four valve parts have gotten too hard for me to see. :wtf: Something about getting old.

I have also had a Alazzura, three Laverdas, a bimota db2, MG Le Mans, and three Moto Morini so the MV is about the only one left to own. :mouthwate

I have head some of the 1000s have had to replace the radiators for leaks and I have heard fan blades melt. My favorite color is the Red?Silver with the five star silver wheels. Does not get you the radial brakes but for the street I doubt I will notice the difference.

What has surprised me and prompted the initial question is the big drop in the early 1000s price while the 750s seem to have held even. I see several 750 going for more than I see 1000. Of course we all know asking and getting are two separate things. :stickpoke

Oh well I am in the early stages of this. One item which can be crucial is accumulating enough cash to make a deal. :)

I will keep researching this and thank you for all your input. They are just so beautiful it is hard to resist them. After all I have a bb2 which was a Tamburrini design and so is my 916. I would say getting the F4 would be the trifecta.

Jim

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
If you want star wheels and a 1000 motor then you are looking for a 2005/2006 model. My 2005 has never overheated or had a cracked rad. I did have the fan blades replaced because the top one was melting at the tips.

If you find a good deal on a 2007, jump on it! You can always sell the brembo ultralights and buy silver star wheels and make some money on the deal. Hell Ill trade you silver star wheels for brembos any time of the day :D

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Capo;
i'll see Joe's offer and raise it.....

a set of silver stars or matte black stars and some motowheels radial caliper mounts....need some cash for the mounts though.....

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=2122|MV Agusta Brakes: ALL&productID=3447&showDetail=1&categoryID=491|MV Agusta Brakes: Mounts and Adapters&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168|European Motorcycle Parts

i have Marchesini forged mags but i like the super lights too...lol

Noel-theknurl

1 - 20 of 29 Posts