MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found someone that's selling an 02 F4 and asking $12K for it. The bike is basically stock, no carbon, no upgraded exhaust, so is this a decent price? I was considering maybe asking him to drop to $11,500. Thoughts? Opinions?

·
Registered
398 Posts
12K sound good but you might have forgot to give us the mileage. :stickpoke

·
Registered
398 Posts
admin your to quick for me :laughing:

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
That sure is nice! Don't make me outbid you (kidding)

Not many miles either! In 3-4 years, it has avgd about 1k miles? What did the owner use it for, living room decoration? Just make sure it runs great and all, since problems are hard to come by with very very low mileage motorcycles. Just a general thought, though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Admin & rramseyr,

Thanks for your thoughts. You know, I think this bike was just garage art. He told me that he saw it in the movie I, Robot and 2 weeks later, found this one. But like all of us, lifestyle change and then we have to adjust our riding schedule. Up here in Washington, we usually let our bikes sit from December till about now. It's hard seeing your bike sitting there not getting any attention.

Well, I do feel better about this bike now that the experts :) have given me their thoughts. I haven't commited to anything just yet, so any more thoughts are indeed welcome.

·
Registered
756 Posts
One more thought...I'm fairly sure this bike was on ebay about 1-2 months ago. I don't recall if the reserve was met or the bike was sold, but worth asking what happened. It certainly looks nice :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looking at the photos the only upgrade I can see is the tires. It came with Pirelli Dragon EVO and now has Michelin Pilots. Other than that it looks perfect!

I don't have that kind of mileage on my 2002 but you would of thought they would have lasted longer than 3800. Just playing devils advocate :naughty:

You can certainly always ask for less on your first offer.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you have access to it locally, take it to Eastside Motor Sports in Bellevue and ask for Dave in service to check it out for ya. They used to be the only MV dealer in washington...you can tell him I sent you. :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
MVorBMW said:
One more thought...I'm fairly sure this bike was on ebay about 1-2 months ago. I don't recall if the reserve was met or the bike was sold, but worth asking what happened. It certainly looks nice :)
Are you sure? There was a silver one I saw on e-bay but it was located in Wisconsin near me.

I was going to say that the silver model was less desirable. But man, after just looking at that pic, it's easy to remember why I always dreamed about owning one of these bikes. It's a great looking bike!

I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Personally, I fell in love with the Diamante when I first saw it. The Red and Silver isn't bad. I know it has been their paint scheme, since forever, but there's just something about that silver one.....

I saw an all silver one on ebay as well a few weeks back, but that one was in Portland, OR. I wish this was a local bike, but it quite a few states away. So no test ride for me. :bawling:

One other question. Since this bike is stock, what can I expect power-wise? I currently own a 99 Duc 750SS and a 00.5 Aprilia Mille. The Duc is almost a waste of time, but I love the sound of a twin. I'm just wondering what I would do to get more out of the MV? Upgrade to the exhaust, maybe a chip, different air filter? I'm not sure. I just love the look, but I know I don't want to be disappointed. I can't affort the 1000, so that's why I'm looking at the 750. I'm not looking to get a roll-the-throttle-and-die

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I'm not sure about the Mille (is that an '00 or '05), but the F4 is definitely faster and finer than the SS; I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. And if you've never heard a MV engine, you're in for an extremely pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fazer6 said:
is that an '00 or '05
It's an 2000.5, there was something with how Aprilia released them into the United States between 1999 and 2001. I think they were late or something like that, so that's how they got the .5.

I bought the Duc without doing any research, it was just based on pure looks. Because I didn't like the look of the 996 or the 748, I went with the SS and was sorely disappointed. But that's what I get. So, I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

The Aprilia is way more power than I'll ever need, but I don't want a bike that all show and no go.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This bike is near me, he's had it for sale for a while. A friend of mine looked at it and said it was in nice shape, but I have not seen it in person.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
benzo, sounds like you are used to riding the twins... in case if you have never own a 4 before, you need to realize that the power band is very different and will take some getting used to at first, you will have to ride it differently than the Duc or the Aprilia, although the MV may have more HP than your bikes, you will have to make it scream to get it... for sportsbikes I personally prefer the mental scream of the 4s over the rumbling twins.

I have a feeling that you know all this already, but I just wanted to say it so you won't be disappointed in case that you get to test ride one.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Looks great. Maybe Pirate's or Motowheel's license tag relocator? 3800 miles is still not fully broken in. There is a difference at 6-8000. Great choice even at full 12k if everything is as good as it looks.

How many oil changes, receipts?
How many valve checks, receipts? Numbers?

I think you'll be very very pleased with the power once you adapt to riding it like an I4 needs to be ridden :) Put some time and miles on it before worrying about exhaust, eprom, PCIII, Filters, etc etc. Plenty of time to figure out what changes you want.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the thoughts guys. He has all the receipts for the service done from the previous owner as well. So, I don't think it'll be a problem. But since it has sat for so long if I get it, I'll have Eastside Motosports take a look at it and give it the thumbs up before I start breaking it in. :) So these bikes need valve checks? How often? It's not like a Duc I hope.

I called the seller this morning and put my offer of $11,500 on the table. He has one other guy trying to buy it, so he'll let me know if the other guy has the funds. I'm ready to ride this bike! If I do get it, I'll have to wait about a month before it gets here. :mad:

I've never owned a I4, but I've ridden a friends Yamaha R1. I did feel different all the way around, but like you guys have mentioned, I'll have to get used to riding a I4. So, the powerband is higher than with a twin? Rolling on the throttle, getting into the higher RPM's is going to be a little more common?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts