MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I don't have an mv augusta dealer near me but a good motorcycle shop I could have help me.

I'm concerned with many of the reports on here about reliability and a company who doesn't stand behind their products.

1) would you recommend I buy one right now?

2) are things like the rear givi rack and the low high beam harness easy to obtain?

3) any aftermarket seat options available?

4) how does it handle 2 up?

5) how does it handle graded dirt roads?

I currently have a ktm 1090 adv r and looking for a lighter bike to take trips with the gf.

Tia it's really cool to see an active owners group. If it wasn't for this I wouldn't even consider the bike.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I have had mine for 1.5 years now and 2700 miles. Without a shop near by i just ordered it, it showed up, it has been awesome. No troubles and with a great forum no worries. Having had all the Italian super bikes in the past I now wonder why. This bike rocks, powerful, light weight, and above all comfortable! Basically a super bike in sport-touring gise. Forget about dirt roads it is not part of the mission statement. As for a passenger, if a sense of humor is involved, then it works...

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
Welcome to the family @Tigerfx !!! Owning a MV Agusta is not the same thing as owning a Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Yamaha....or any number of other bikes.
If you are prepared for the travails of owning a boutique "exotic" brand then jump in.....The water is fine.
You will hear all the stories of problems with the brand here because it is the internet.....happy people with no issues rarely say anything.

Please introduce yourself with a post in the "New Member" section. Where are you in these United States?

Reactions: Lucaoscar

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the welcome. I haven't bought it yet and working on it! I'm in Utah so plenty of great riding here. Hopefully I can make it official and introduce myself once I get the bike.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome Tiger! I own ‘16 EUR3 model with 30.000km now. I had some small issues but I never regret buying it. I did some easy white, forest roads but it’s not a ADV bike. It is light, nimble and fast enough. For two, it will be fine for touring as long as you are comfortable on the bike. I am 183cm and 90kg and my wife is tiny and it’s not a problem at all. She finds it comfortable in the back and we mounted top box for her to feel safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear. You and I are about the same height and weight. How did you mount the top box? I'm looking at a custom fabricator to make one.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have ridden mine on dirt roads, as long as you do not mistake it for an enduro it is fine, in fact good. Some minor additions, like a radiator guard are a good idea. There is a post on here somewhere, it will be in the TV section of the forum, about a dealer who has made some mods to make the TV more competent off road.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Moved from a MY16 Lusso to a 1260 Multistrada in part due to needing a machine for two up touring. Panniers and top case on the latter have decent capacity and added grunt is useful for carting all that around without trying too hard. I do miss the superfine handling, almost too flighty for long days two up IMHO.

16,000 miles in two years, some great times travelling around Europe. Usual problems with indicators packing up. Three QS failures, side stand switch failure and clutch pressure switch failure in that time. Occasional issue with clutch engagement was never resolved. Beautifully designed and built machine, let down by some budget electrics which is pretty unforgivable on such a premium bike.

Multistrada now on 10,000 miles, hasn't missed a beat. Took a hammering on the trade-in as no one wanted an MV, let alone a 16,000 miler. Was still pretty immaculate though, finish stood up well though I do care for my bikes as usually I'm in it for the longer term.

Turismo is a great bike, perfect for solo use and occasional two up riding. Too cramped for extended two up touring though, unless you can be really minimalist with your packing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good to hear. You and I are about the same height and weight. How did you mount the top box? I'm looking at a custom fabricator to make one.
There are a lot of different DIY solutions for top box, you will a whole topic with more then 100 posts just search this forum for:
“Hand made Top Case”
My solution was very simple and was described among the first ones. It’s probably not the strongest one but I use it only few times a year and try not to put more then 5kg in it.
Regarding two up, read what @Bumpkin wrote. I agree with him. I had less problems with the bike but I think two up only TV migh be too small. Solo is a perfect Sport Tourer!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great info. The gf will only ride ocassionaly and no big trips so I think it will be ok. I do like to take easy dirt roads on it so good to hear it will do it.

Sounds like pro custom manufacturing the rear rack is the way to go.

My only outstanding concern is parts. My understanding is due to covid mv agusta is closed. If something happens will I end up waiting a year for parts or not find any by other suppliers?

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
That is not true....the biggest problem with parts is from the dealer's end.
MV went back to work a while ago. Shut down was not forever.

Reactions: theknurl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@esq'z me cool, the dealer also told me piaggo owns mv agusta...I really wish motorcycle sales people gave a damn. Since I haven't bought it yet does anyone recommend any dealers on the west coast. In Utah here.

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
@esq'z me cool, the dealer also told me piaggo owns mv agusta...I really wish motorcycle sales men gave a damn. Since I haven't bought it yet does anyone recommend any dealers on the west coast. In Utah here.
WHAT ?!?!?!? Piagio owns MotoGuzzi, Vespa...and other things....but MV Agusta is owned by MV Agusta.
What dealer was that??
Can't help with you in Utah, but you could call Mark at DucShop here in Georgia. I'm sure he can fix you up and take good care of you. Since he builds and ships high spec race bikes all over the country, shipping isn't really an issue.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Aprilia and Moto Guzzi are owned by Piaggio. MV Agusta is owned by a private equity fond owned by a Russian billioner Timur Sardarov who is head of the company at this time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
@esq'z me cool, the dealer also told me piaggo owns mv agusta...I really wish motorcycle sales people gave a damn. Since I haven't bought it yet does anyone recommend any dealers on the west coast. In Utah here.
I did the Burr trail on my TV although it was at a slow pace. Suspension is too stiff for spirited offroad riding but airing down the tires makes it possible within reason. Also have been up to Ophir pass across the border in CO off of Million dollar highway near Silverton.
The moto really shines on the paved single lane highways in the mountains.

42492181_10215087881643422_4566621452031229952_n.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the 2019 TVL SCS. This is my second TVL. My thoughts:
1. Top box or anything on the rear? I am 5'10" and I can't quite get my feet flat on the ground. As a result I would not even consider a top box because I already have trouble getting my leg over when I saddle up.
2. Two-up riding? Forget it. Mr. Muscle might have a go at it but not me.
3. Dealer service? Despite all the noise about Timur and his ideas, don't look for speedy repairs or local parts. It's good to be wrench savvy.
4. Off road? My machine is NEVER going to see anything but asphalt or concrete. The TVL was designed for eating up roads at high-speed regardless of whether they are straight or severely crooked. Not saying you couldn't but there are probably better choices.
5. It's a really great machine. You just have to be aware of a few things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a 2015 TVL. Have about 20k miles. As to problems, had to replace front turn signals, and clutch switch. Other than that its been great. it is just a joy to ride. My nearest dealer is 500+ miles away. Also have a 2004 Brutale. I knew the risk of buying these bikes. But I had to. They are just to beautiful. And they get a lot of attention where ever I go. If there are problems in the future I will figure it out. I except that. Its part of owing an exotic. So if you don't have that passion for it, and feel reliability is at the utmost, then buy something else. I understand. But if not!! Take a chance. COLUMBUS DID!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts