MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I literally came of a Honda CB1000R (now a write off) Prior to the CB1K I had a Cagiva Raptor. Reason for the trade in was the in my opinion superior handling of the Honda.

But since then I felt that Honda is to mainstream for me and I have always loved the Brutale. However reading this forum and different tests combined with different options I begin to feel confused. Here is my candidates:

2006 Brutale 910 S with only 9500km on the ODO hub and PSU changed and well looked after €8.777

2007 Brutale 910R with only 600 km on the ODO with full 2 year warranty, 2010 Hub and Corse decat and ECU chip € 13,000

2012 Brutale 1090R only 1500 km on ODO compleatly stock and 2 year warranty €12,000

Obviosly I will get around €7.777 for the Honda and I opt for the Brute 910S for financial reasons and it looks really good..

But I am also into one of the others. But some one told me that the new Brutales like the 1090R are more "budget" builds and that the 910R is the way to go.

But what I am looking for is Handling, handling, handling and after that sexappeal. I am not a novice and are slowly becoming more of a advanced rider. But I am not the guy fiddeling around with the suspention all the time. The bike is mainly used for twistie B-roads and track days.

Can you guys help me sort things out I am going crazy and on top of this just waiting around for the insurance company to give me the verdict...

Since I am injured I can´t make any test drives right now and all the bikes are at different locations all far from where I live,,,

Cheers!

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Sorry to here of your injuries and the write off of your Honda. Hope you heal well and quickly.....and welcome to the forum/family!!!

My opinion (for what it's worth...which is very little) get the 910R......the 910S you are looking at is the older 16M ECU. The 910R has the later 5SM system which fires the plugs and injectors sequentially (the old tech 16M system fires them in pairs).

The 910R has superior brakes and suspension...not to mention the ultra light wheels !!!

The newer bikes have their advantages, but getting the 910R with the corsa exhaust and ECU (not a chip in 5SM system) AND the updated rear hub....with 2 years warranty!!!! No brainer for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.
Qustion though, what are the advantages of the newer 1090R except for the year of make?

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I would go with the 910R too, but those prices seem a bit too high.
Where are you located?
BTW that 910R has the Corse system or just the decat mid pipe?
Heal up quickly and welcome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It´s just the decat midpipe and BMC filter..
Well prices are what they are...

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Thanks for your input.
Qustion though, what are the advantages of the newer 1090R except for the year of make?

Cheers!
The 1090R has newer and better fuel mapping and more torque (which you probably will never take advantage of). Also has a new improved (maybe) meter.

The disadvantages is the suspension is not as upgraded, the wheels are not as light, and (some say) the build quality is downgraded.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
The cool kids all ride 910Rs........As for sex appeal, get ready, because the chicks dig Brutie riders. It's a scientific fact.....look it up. :)

Now our weak wristed F4 brethren will protest vehemently, but you must forgive them, because they are all posers. :shitfan:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would say the 910S is out. For me the brakes feel barely adequate on the 910 S.

Between the other two, each has its advantages. Before you decide between the other two consider a few things:

How tall are you? The 2010 and newer models are significantly roomier. Anyone over 5'10" may feel cramped on the 910.

How experienced and agressive rider are you? The newer bikes are a lot smoother and more civilized. The more well mannered behaviour of the newer bike make it easier to ride especially in town, around traffic and commuting. I think for an average rider the newer bike is better suited and it still is a fun ride for any rider.

The 910 has a very agressive, somewhat unrefined, hot-rod character. I like it because it is not perfect. You need to understand and be able to adopt to the bikes strengths and weaknesses to truly enjoy it, i.e. you need to be a more experienced and agressive rider. The harder you ride it the better it feels.
If you have the skills to do that, there is hardly a more rewarding motorcycle out there - BUT, most riders' skill levels are not high enough!! That is why most magazines kind of bashed the 910R - defenitely not for everyone, especially compaed to nakeds from othe manufacturers.
It's kind of like a double whiskey straight up vs. a Mai Tai cocktail!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
IMHO

1090r would be my pick for value per $$$, it has almost a decade of development history and in riding both 750s, 910, 990, 1090 - could can feel the development.

The 910r is an awesome machine and also favoured by many over the later 1078. The 910r has an angrier feel to power delivery with the three rev ranges (below 6k, 6-9, 9-12) being very distinct whilst the next-gen models are more linear in power delivery. (and that 910r seems a little high on the price scale)

Next Gen models
* no SPU problems
* better rear hub
* better fuel mapping
* roomier

Still a brutal bike, but perhaps in a slightly more refined Brute.

·
Registered
99 Posts
the 910S you are looking at is the older 16M ECU. The 910R has the later 5SM system which fires the plugs and injectors sequentially (the old tech 16M system fires them in pairs).
I thought all the 2007 910R's have the old EURO2 16M ECU mounted on top of the air box. And that all the 2008's have the new 5SM ECU (mounted behind the cylinders)..?

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
2008 in the USA....everywhere else 2007. We get bikes a year later than the rest of the world.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
IMHO

1090r would be my pick for value per $$$, it has almost a decade of development history and in riding both 750s, 910, 990, 1090 - could can feel the development.

The 910r is an awesome machine and also favoured by many over the later 1078. The 910r has an angrier feel to power delivery with the three rev ranges (below 6k, 6-9, 9-12) being very distinct whilst the next-gen models are more linear in power delivery. (and that 910r seems a little high on the price scale)

Next Gen models
* no SPU problems
* better rear hub
* better fuel mapping
* roomier

Still a brutal bike, but perhaps in a slightly more refined Brute.
Spot on :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok We are getting there.

The 910 S is budget, 910R is the choice of many because of it´s brute power delivery and components.

My self was wondering about the handling in terms cornering not power delivery. I like a smooth power delivery. Thats what I got on the CB 1K after PC V, did same on the Raptor and I like it when I can just turn on the throttel with no surprises. But I guess thats a matter of taste,,,

The next big question, what about the downgrade in build quality on the later (post 2008) models, is it just a myth? I dont want to pay for a MV agusta and get a Cagiva.

The raptor handling was inferior in handling vs. the CB 1 K. btw.

·
Registered
218 Posts
being 6'4" and on a 910S I can say I do feel a bit like a giant... it is a good bike nonetheless. I have basically had 10,000 trouble free miles on mine and power is more than adequate for street riding. The R offers the nicer and lighter wheels and as others have said, the upgraded ECU but for me anyway, I wouldnt base my decision on that. I am far from a pro rider/racer so those are things that I dont really notice... well maybe the wheels I would. less rotating mass equal better handling for sure.

If money were no object, get the R, but the S is a fine scooter as well and will treat you right IMO.

All else fails, get the S and later get the R wheels to lighten it up. Can split the costs over time that way. But if you have the means, get the R.

- Justin

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Ok We are getting there.

The 910 S is budget, 910R is the choice of many because of it´s brute power delivery and components.

My self was wondering about the handling in terms cornering not power delivery. I like a smooth power delivery. Thats what I got on the CB 1K after PC V, did same on the Raptor and I like it when I can just turn on the throttel with no surprises. But I guess thats a matter of taste,,,

The next big question, what about the downgrade in build quality on the later (post 2008) models, is it just a myth? I dont want to pay for a MV agusta and get a Cagiva.

The raptor handling was inferior in handling vs. the CB 1 K. btw.
Ignore the 910s

In my humble opinion (with perhaps the exception of the current 920) I believe the build quality just got better and better. (that's purely an impression I have of hearing comments about decals etc on the 920...might have that wrong)

You are now at the point where we've given you enough information....you need to ride the 910r and the 1090 - and base your decision on what you intend to use the bike for (for 80% of your riding).

Best of luck and we look forward to you joining the family whichever way you decide.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

910R, 5SM ECU, Superlights and radials ('07 Euro, '08 US).....ditch the cat and add a MicroTec...
i'm running an Arrow shorty, 4 kg less than stock

:brutale::drummer::yo::yo::yo:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Well you have just come of a cb1000r ,do your self a favour and go and ride the 910r make sure you take it around a lot of corners,and hard ,they are not as friendly as the honda, these bikes do require a fueling option to get rid of the snatchy throttle ,if you want great smooth control in the corners,the 1090 standard would be my choice ,smooth power delivery.and is much better suited to tall guys.the finish on the 1090 is great.and corners smoothly,once you touch any part of the exhaust system on these bikes there fuelling goes out the window,you will need a pc5 or microtec.good luck on your choice

cheers eddy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you guys for your input. Was out to see the 910S today and finacially it´s the most sound way to go.
I did not find the snatchness that bad, I am sure that i can master that. But the frontbrakes where almost useless. Due to weather conditions (scandinavian october ) I could not really test the cornering. Same with the 1090 and the 910R. I think I lean towards the 1090R almost new(2012), full warranty for less than a CB1K. Will have a lokk later this week. I think that the 910R is overpriced...

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts