MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase an MV either 06, 07r or 08 312. I have read alot of stuff and would like some personal responses. I can get the 06 for 17,500 or the 07r for 20,000 but they want 24,000 for the 08. I am torn over what one to get and how much difference their really is between the 3. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. The 06 is such a good deal, and the R seems to be the best of both worlds, good price and new upgrades which are close to the 312. Help me.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
well not knowing much about the other bikes and owning a 312 I and my buddies owning a 750 I really do not think you would be overly unhappy with any of them I am sure there are downfalls in each but either way I would buy the one that is screaming at you even know they all look the same one of them has your name on it. But I am about to post up about my 312 ride today so not sure how much convincing that will do for you

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Normally, I'd say the S is a great deal but the 312....wow! I think you're looking at a 20hp difference between the S and the 312. I guess the way I'm seeing it is, you're already paying $17/$18K for a sport bike, so why compromise at this pont. You may as well go all the way and get the 312....but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
in my opinion, the f4s has enough power to satisfy anyone, dont let hp be the reason of your choice, all mv are great bikes, like the man said 2 posts up, buy the bike that talks to you the most. but whatever you buy, we all hope you be safe on it, and customize it to high heaven, and post pics, lol we love pics. good luck

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
yeah, why compromise? get a CC and get it over with.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
lol. now why didnt i think of that???? hehe wait!!!, why not get 2 CC, one for every day, and one for weekends, infact get 3, one for the track too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
buy and S for the 17 and spend the extra 7k and buy an R1 or something for the track/ getting stupid with.... now that is the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
238 Posts
seriously, use the MV for group rides and bike nights and maybe a track day here and there. use the extra $$ and get a cheaper bike that still screams, then you can ride the wheels off of one (to work and on the track) and have the MV as your baby...

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Normally, I'd say the S is a great deal but the 312....wow! I think you're looking at a 20hp difference between the S and the 312. I guess the way I'm seeing it is, you're already paying $17/$18K for a sport bike, so why compromise at this pont. You may as well go all the way and get the 312....but that's just my opinion.
I agree with your opinion, i.e. if you're buying new go for the 312 unless you can't really afford it, and if not go for the R.

But i really doubt there's a 20hp difference between the S and the 312R.
I'd say it's way less.
The thing is the R's are a lot more smooth and the biggest difference is in the lighter wheels and better brakes :f4:

·
Registered
689 Posts
You haven't given enough information to give you good advice. What do you ride now? Why are you looking to get another bike? Why are you considering an MV Agusta? What kind of riding do you do?

I've got a first-year 750 with over 25K miles, both street and track, and after riding the 1000S for ten days, I really wanted one. I love the engine. I haven't ridden the R and have only ridden the 312 briefly, and that was at Hockenheim; hardly a fair comparison. I thought it was great, but it's difficult to compare 3000km on the street with two 20-minute sessions on a high-quality race track. I rarely went over 8500rpm on the S, so any extra power above 10,000 wouldn't have mattered.

I'm trying to decide now if I should sell the 750 to get a 1000. Will it be worth the cost differnce, based on what the 750 would fetch? Probably not. Still, once that motolust sets in, it's hard to shake.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've got an S and I love it, but if I was buying new now I would go for the best I could afford, my choice would be the 312 :f4:

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
detroitdiablo said:
no more opinions? this is a big purchase and if you cant get any help from here, why does this forum exist?
have you tried the search function?
holiday weekend and most are out of town, not on the internet

Attachments

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
MV-999R said:
I agree with your opinion, i.e. if you're buying new go for the 312 unless you can't really afford it, and if not go for the R.

But i really doubt there's a 20hp difference between the S and the 312R.
I'd say it's way less.
The thing is the R's are a lot more smooth and the biggest difference is in the lighter wheels and better brakes :f4:
Just what I would say, so I agree on this post.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same dilema, spent several weeks viewing older F4 750s, 1000s etc, they're all beautiful, the F4 has evolved over the years, it all depends on what you want to spend, In the UK you can still purchase a new unregistered 750 for less than £9000 in the end I went for an F4 1000R straight out of the crate and I love it, test ride a few, go with your heart & however deep your pocket may be, but remember you'll want to adorn your chouce with after market trick bits for sure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have ridden sportbikes all my life I have had 3 R1's, 2 gixxer 1k, honda 929, rc 51 etc.... I am just so bored with Jap bikes right now and hate how they change them so much every two years, it doesnt even give you the time to modify them before they change. Anyway I was gonna get a Duc 1098 but being the first year out NO SIR! I am hooked on MV, I have been in love with it since it was a 750 and I could not afford it. Now its a 1000 and I can afford it, What kind of prices are people buying the R or the 312 for?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Since you have never ridden an F4 before, how would you know the difference between the three? I would buy the S since it is the cheapest. It is a lot faster than the 1098, I can attest to that.

Buy the S; get comfortable with it. Much of the depreciation is already in the bike because of its age. If you love the riding position, handling, power etc of the MV, sell it and get what ever MV is at the top of the pyramid at that time.

CAG

·
Registered
499 Posts
uhm, well i have a three month old S, a 2006, and love it.

the R doesn't, to me, warrant a higher cost over the S--at least for the casual rider like myself. the 312 wasn't an option when i bought mine, if it were, i would have bought it.

why? well the 312 is the latest and greatest, and only a few dollars more a month in terms of bike loan. i donno, like to me the difference between the R and S doesn't warrant paying more but a 312 does.

but, i've also spent over $5k in the last 3 months on this new little hobby. two helmets (thanks Altoon--j/k!), leather jacket, leather suit, riding pants, $3k in bike customization/performance upgrades, etc etc. so in the end, my bank account has paid the same as i would have for a stock 312, but my bike is modded and my closet is full.

so the take-away, i guess, is:
S: money left over to mod and leathers
R: money left over just for leathers
312: nothing left over...

unless you've won the lottery or something--in which case, can i have a loan?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my frist post I have been lurking around for a while now so, hello all. I currently have a 999r and have been thinking of selling it and getting a 1000s , R or 312. Im a little concerned about a redesign of the current MV. Im leaning to the 312. Anyone have good pics of the black and white?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts