MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a year ago purchased the Comfort Seats for my TVL

and today I realized that the passenger seat was loose... and what surprise it was broken...

hope there is some guarantee on it!! 250€ is not cheap...

Just wrote my dealer a mail...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,752 Posts
That certainly should not happen.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I got one recently, and it appears to be quite difficult to put in place. I'm considering doing something to make it easier to engage (and it may be link with this as a bit of force is required to put it in place)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Look almost like someone tried to remove it without knowing the proper procedure and tried to lift it off while the post was still retained by the slide lock

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Plastic made brittle due to cold climate? Gero, is your bike parked outside or in a cold detached garage?

Not that this should really be such an issue so as to cause this failure. A shock to the seat whist the plastic is a temporary less resilient state could explain the breakage.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike is in a garage but there is no heating. And for a few weeks we have around -16°C here...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Gero,

Were you ever able to solve this?

I noticed the same happened to the passenger seat of the TV I just bought. The plastic area around the metal pin has cracked.
I wonder whether it is due to a manufacturing fault, or to incorrect use when attaching/taking off the seat.

For now I tried to glue it back together with superglue, not sure it'll hold though.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Zoefhaus,
I've got a replacement for the seat.. on guarantee ... but it took a loooooong time.... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Mine is out of warranty, so I guess I'll see if I can find a second hand seat at a reasonable price.
Or keep the current once, which I glued back together and seems to hold (so far)...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Mine is out of warranty, so I guess I'll see if I can find a second hand seat at a reasonable price.
Or keep the current once, which I glued back together and seems to hold (so far)...
Looks like we should be pushing down on the pillion seats, directly over the locking pin, when putting them back onto the bikes, to avoid this in the future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a new (used) seat, but it seems like I wasted my money.:censored:
The old one (which I glued back together) seems to hold just fine after a few weeks of use.

So if anyone is interested in the original (repaired) seat, let me know!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Look almost like someone tried to remove it without knowing the proper procedure and tried to lift it off while the post was still retained by the slide lock
I was thinking more that the seat was fitted to the bike and then the pressure to make it lock down was not applied directly over the latch/catch area, as the pin has been pushed up into the seat base, rather than pulled out of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was thinking more that the seat was fitted to the bike and then the pressure to make it lock down was not applied directly over the latch/catch area, as the pin has been pushed up into the seat base, rather than pulled out of it.
Exactly. In all pictures of broken seats I saw (including mine), the pin was indeed pushed up and not pulled out.
On the other hand, maybe the plastic surrounding the pin broke when pulling up the seat (so the pin gets pulled out), and then when reinstalling it the pin gets pushed up..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Exactly. In all pictures of broken seats I saw (including mine), the pin was indeed pushed up and not pulled out.
On the other hand, maybe the plastic surrounding the pin broke when pulling up the seat (so the pin gets pulled out), and then when reinstalling it the pin gets pushed up..
"On the other hand" is not very probable, as the pin would have stayed in the catch or fallen onto the floor and then have been seen by the rider, before they went to refit the seat??

·
Registered
21 Posts
"On the other hand" is not very probable, as the pin would have stayed in the catch or fallen onto the floor and then have been seen by the rider, before they went to refit the seat??
Not necessarily. In my original seat the plastic around the pin showed a crack, but the pin did not completely come loose. If you opened the seat the pin got pulled outwards, and if you closed the seat it got pushed in again.
It actually made it easier to remove the seat (as the pin had some more free play), but more difficult to lock it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Pin on my TV has the identical issue as Zoefhaus. It still works but is not a smooth fit and takes some fiddling. I was thinking to trying a plastic weld reinforcing patch if there is enough clearance. If anyone had any success at finding a workaround, please do pass on the approach taken.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts