MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend was just appointed to the CDOT Motorcycle Operator Safety Advisory Board as the member who represents the motorcycle community as a whole. She needs to know what Colorado riders think the MOST fund should be used for. She needs the feedback by end of business Friday August 8th.

The MOST program is paid for by Colorado M endorsements on licenses and a small fee per motorcycle/scooter registration and earns about $800,000/year in revenue. The program promotes motorcycle safety awareness, does studies on all motorcycle accidents in Colorado, and provides vendors who provide motorcycle training a rebate per student who takes a safety class. The rebates for 2013 were as follows: $70.00 for each student in the Basic Rider Course, $50.00 for each student in the BRC 2 Course, $200.00 for each student in the RiderCoach Preparation Course and $50.00 for each student in the RiderCoach Instructor updates. 15% of the fund is kept for administration costs, 20% is held back for if a new vendor joins the MOST program or if a vendor has more training than projected, 10% is used for the motorcycle safety campaign (i.e. the CDOT signs and the safety billboards) and the rest is supposed to be used to give Colorado residents a break on tuition. It is the tuition that is the most controversial.

So, what say you all? How should the money be used?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Juney....you should use this opportunity to encourage your friends to join the AMA. They are very proactive politically on a local and national basis. Seek their help to assist in formulating policy that best supports the motorcyclists in Colorado.

I've been a member for nearly 10 years now.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think they should use the extra for more rider safety advertisement and promotion. All to often folks in cages just don't see riders and end up hurting killing them, or even worse they don't care and use their vehicles as killing machines. For someone who doesn't ride, or never has, its incredibly hard for them to grasp just how exposed non-caged motorist are. States spend a paltry, and even an embarrassingly low, amount of driver/motorist awareness. They'll spend gobs of money for DUI/DWI and seat belt ads but hardly any on something that really can make an enormous difference in saving lives.....just by being aware of motorcyclist and sharing the roads responsibly. Would like to see more done in that regard.

EDIT: Help me understand if i have this correct. A rider course provided by a vendor who is a for profit business gets a kick back from the state just for making money? Does the state think that nobody would provide rider courses if they don't do rebates?

Also, is a rider course required to obtain a MC driver endorsement in CO.?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think I agree with Varium. It seems odd to provide such rebates for a company that is just doing what it's in business to do. I don't know if the fund could handle the financial burden of this, but...It would be more beneficial to give a rebate to cyclists that pass training courses since. If the vendors could charge more for various levels of training courses and have the fund give the students that pass and maintain a clear, insured, driving record for a few years following the course the opportunity to be rebated back most of the costs. That would give students an incentive to ride safe and do well and the vendors the opportunity for more profit. Everyone wins, though it would be more involving logistics work for the fund.

Working with/lobbying insurance companies for increased discounts for the various levels of training would also be money well spent. A person willing to spend money on their own training, should have the opportunity to make it back for their increased awareness and safety. Similar to above in effect, but without the fund taking the financial impact of rebating safe riders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts