MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently i'm not a very good researcher because i can't seem to find anything via the search in here that addresses the paint colors/codes i'm looking for. Its the black/gray paint scheme of the 312. Can someone point me in the right direction for finding out spot on matches, or very close?

Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No owners manual. Also, my understanding is that the folks that make the paint for Agusta is an Italian company, and their paint codes don't convert to anything here in the states.

EDIT: Actually just tracked down a PDF of the "user manual" online. I'm guessing this is the same thing as you mean by "owners manual". Anyway, i looked through it and didn't see any reference to any color codes. The best i could come up with was page -9- of the "general section" with a page code(reference number) of 1gb. Even there it describes a not so very clear way of looking for what they call a "colour code". This only goes by a sticker that has A-G designations and nothing else. That is the way Agusta references their color combos but nothing about an actual paint code or color(s).

·
Administrator
19,139 Posts
There are paint codes available but most good paint shops just make their own paint to match the existing using spectrometers.

My 910R owner manual has PPG and Palinal paint codes on page 17 through 19.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, well i guess there is a difference between an owners manual and a user manual then.

If i had the panels still would be no problem having the color matched or even get a color camera to get me close. However, those aren't options for me which is the reason for the thread. Hopefully we can get some definitive answers here so as to help others down the road when they go looking for paint codes for their bikes as well.

·
Administrator
19,139 Posts
What year bike?? I have the paint codes for the Brutale 2007/8 black and grey model if it's the same color scheme.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I am looking for color codes for MY2010 (grey/titanium) and based on the information provided here, looked up the owners manual:

Color code C: Titanium Grey (Code Palinal L821)

is this a generic code that I can take to a paint shop?

·
Administrator
19,139 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What year bike?? I have the paint codes for the Brutale 2007/8 black and grey model if it's the same color scheme.

Its the 2007 paint scheme in black/gray, but i believe the RR for 08 used the same colors with a slightly different scheme. Not certain about this because there always seems to be an acception to the rule. So for the sake of keeping this thread on track i'm looking for the 2007 paint codes for the 312 as pictured in the link below.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/290290/mv-312.jpg

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm told the oem part number for the side panel is 8000A8305. However, i have no idea how to make use of that if it can be used at all.....due to the fact that there are 3 different paints on the side panel.

·
Super Moderator
21,780 Posts
Thanks for that. What document did that come from? I have looked in my manuals, both user and shop, and that does not exist there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for that. What document did that come from? I have looked in my manuals, both user and shop, and that does not exist there.
Came from MV directly, so I suspect it's one of their in house workshop/body manuals, it's certainly a 312R specific document, but I don't know exactly what it is from unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
21,780 Posts
Here is the information that lives under the tail:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The paint codes don't really mean anything, unless you work at the factory. Your best bet is to take a part to a paint supplier of the paint you're going to use and have it scanned. That will only get you a blendable match and it might not be a decent one at that. The spectrometer scans the colour and then checks it's database for the closest match.

I recently had to repaint the upper fairing of my yellow 2001 Ducati 748. I had the colour scanned and the closest colour was a 66% match. I ended up picking a different colour chip and adjusting that formula myself. On the other side of that, I had to fix some chips in the tank of a 998 Ben Bostrom replica and the owner wanted to keep the Ben's signature intact (crazy, I know). I had the pearl blue scanned and it turned out to be an old Ford colour that matched about 95%. Go figure.

Also, the paint codes given in the manuals aren't usually found in the formulas of the paint companies, only the factories. And they're almost useless outside of Europe for MV and Ducati due to factories using very different paint than what's available to the local body shops. I'm just going by what I've experienced in years of painting bikes and cars. My raw solo seat cover arrived today so I'm going to have to get a white panel off of my F4 scanned. I'm hoping it's close.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts