MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking this opportunity to re-spray my bike. See attached pictures...

1. Candy apple red
2. Mazda Soul Red Crystal Metalic
3. OEM burgundy metalic

I'm open to ideas on paint manufacturers, types etc. I've heard gel coats are the way to go for plastic body work due to their ability to flex and not spider crack.

Also I'm going to PPF all the painted surfaces. I'm not going to let this happen again....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, what happened to your paint? Vandalism?
Yes, I'm beyond the point of being angry. I'm just going to take this opportunity to paint my bike a badass color and make it look flawless.

@nigelrb yes I agree so far I'm leaning that direction as well. I've seen that color on new Mazda vehicles and I just love it. It's got like a black depth to the red metallic that I think my painter will have a hard time re-creating during to its complexity. If he could pull it off I think it would look killer.

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
Couple of things: One, you will never achieve that sort of color depth with Powder Coat. Next, while Powder Coat can be flexible, it is thicker than paint. Third, you simply add a flex-additive to whatever paint you choose and the paint will flex like rubber....it is how they paint the flexible covers on bumpers and such.

It is a shame someone decided to deface your bike, but there is no coating or film that will prevent that sort of damage.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
. . . It's got like a black depth to the red metallic that I think my painter will have a hard time re-creating during to its complexity. If he could pull it off I think it would look killer.
If you have a big question mark over your painter, I'd be looking for another with an established reputation for show vehicles and high gloss work!! (y)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple of things: One, you will never achieve that sort of color depth with Powder Coat. Next, while Powder Coat can be flexible, it is thicker than paint. Third, you simply add a flex-additive to whatever paint you choose and the paint will flex like rubber....it is how they paint the flexible covers on bumpers and such.

It is a shame someone decided to deface your bike, but there is no coating or film that will prevent that sort of damage.
I was never thinking about powder coating it. Plastic is not able to be powder coated because it doesn't conduct electricity.

The gel coat that I was referring to is like that additive you're speaking of it allows the paint to flex.

Also paint protection film has come along way. I've never had it installed on a bike before but from what I see they make film that is self-healing if you heat it up with a heat gun it restores and erases the scratch.

You didn't vote!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I haven't done any painting for quite a few years but in the USA two companies come to mind PPG and House of Kolor.

I have a project bike that is the same Burgundy Metallic color scheme as the TV in your stock photo. I would suggest against the OEM. If you're going to be spending that much $$ might as well get something truly special. Do keep your photos to show the re-spray was not from a wreck.

It is worth the small premium to get a painter that treats their work as art and knows what they are doing with modern paints, catalyst, clear coats, elasticity and the lamps over the cost of someone who it's just a job they are good at that pays the bills.

On the color - you know what makes you smile - go with that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What Feckwit would do that?, commiserations FF, where that happen as ur avatar does not show country flag
Good luck anywho

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh man, the story of you and that bike is like a Homeric saga. But you are dauntless. I was admiring the colour of one of those red Mazdas just yesterday. Good luck.
Thanks buddy. Yes I agree it's going to have to be Mazda red. Or a version very similar.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't done any painting for quite a few years but in the USA two companies come to mind PPG and House of Kolor.

I have a project bike that is the same Burgundy Metallic color scheme as the TV in your stock photo. I would suggest against the OEM. If you're going to be spending that much $$ might as well get something truly special. Do keep your photos to show the re-spray was not from a wreck.

It is worth the small premium to get a painter that treats their work as art and knows what they are doing with modern paints, catalyst, clear coats, elasticity and the lamps over the cost of someone who it's just a job they are good at that pays the bills.

On the color - you know what makes you smile - go with that.
I appreciate your insight. I will look into those two companies.

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
I was never thinking about powder coating it. Plastic is not able to be powder coated because it doesn't conduct electricity.

The gel coat that I was referring to is like that additive you're speaking of it allows the paint to flex.

Also paint protection film has come along way. I've never had it installed on a bike before but from what I see they make film that is self-healing if you heat it up with a heat gun it restores and erases the scratch.

You didn't vote!
Yikes, I must have read that before coffee...Gel Coat is used on fiberglass.
As for paint protection film, I have Expel Film over the entire surface of my corvette. While it is "self-healing" for minor abrasions, the damage done by an instrument of destruction will cut through it into the paint. ONce that is done, no self-healing will help. It only works for the type of scuff you get if something inadvertently abrades teh surface.

As for voting, my opinion about what color you use is not important. That is a personal decision.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know this is a personal choice but as you asked for a vote .... I say throw another colour into the mix. Don't go with a Japanese car colour. Stay native to Italy and look at Alfa Romeo Tri-coat Competizione Red . Looks really nice and I=if I were to get an Alfa Giulia Quadrifolgio it would have to be in that colour. Very Italian:cool: Alfa Tri-Coat comp red

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know this is a personal choice but as you asked for a vote .... I say throw another colour into the mix...look at Alfa Romeo Tri-coat Competizione Red .
The plot thickens...thanks for your input!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do tell what your plans are for the silver side panels & panniers. They may look a little bland with a stunning re-spray. The RC and the Polizia Bikes incorporate the side panels into the total paint scheme. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts