MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ! This is a heck of a way to start on a new forum, but this is quickly becoming "the place" to be so here's a "heads up" for u all.
I was doing a 12k look over & check ;) etc. on a Brutale today & spotted a known problem on other brands rearing it's ugly head on the direct coils of this bike. I spend a lot of time on the Apriliaforum.com & many of our Futura & Capo owners/members have had this drama too, but in the extreem of total failure. The trick is to get it early before they get to that "if" possible & slow it down.
The pics will self explain a fair bit but the quick run down is, if people are cutting corners in services & not checking plugs in between the time they are to be changed out, this is what can happen & worse from not spotting it.
The two that are most likely to be bad are #1 & #4 cylinder plugs & coils (the two outside ones), they get the most water. They're easier to check & will give u an indication of the problem & therefore then u may need to look at the harder two. Once this rust gets away on u the coils will brake down completely eventually. Big $$$$$$, unless u can find some car ones that suit. ;)
What I've done here to slow this down is clean off as good as I could the rust that had started on 1 & 4s, & wiped it down with metho to avapourate any moisture, then masking taped the ends & spray on a self priming engine heat resistant paint, not to look pretty but to flow into all the nooks & crannies & hopefully seal it up from the moisture & air etc. Then just to make sure I forced/pushed 3 bond into it as well to fill any gaps. I don't recommend using normal silicone sealer on this because the vapours given off can & do damage electronics & circuit boards etc. Use anything/something that is designed to be used with electrical items & can handle heat.
These are those outta site outta mind type things that are easily ignored/missed, so I just wanted to get it out there for u all to pass on. Most bikes are running Direct coils now.
Other members have more than likely come across this too & may have better/different ways of preventing this getting worse, please to those people, feel free to add any input that will be of use to others on this thread.
Now for the pics............ :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
thanks for the heads up on this!

this is also a problem on the yamaha 03-05 R6 as well. the insulation around the coil/plug breaks down and shorts to the engine block. the symptom is hesitation in the motor operation.

yamaha replaced the coils on units that were defective.

a couple of questions..

one - did you ever replace the plugs?
two - do you ride in the rain?

alex

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yes, those plugs certainly are rusty suckers. It look's like the bike has been Scuba diving not just out in the rain.. and don't forget Guys. As unofficial Mvagusta.net weather correspondent, I know about these things!! :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
john said:
Yes, those plugs certainly are rusty suckers. It look's like the bike has been Scuba diving not just out in the rain.. and don't forget Guys. As unofficial Mvagusta.net weather correspondent, I know about these things!! :laughing: :laughing:
:laughing: Seems that we all know a little something about rain these days

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
altoon...the bike has had 2 owners, so I can't tell u what went on in the first 3000 kms but the Lady that owns it now very rarely has been caught out in the rain, it could be an issue that washing makes worse if not carefull. Both owners garaged the bike & it's not living in an overly wet or cold area either.
The bike has had three dealers(I think) work on it in it's 12000kms, so as to keep the warranty up. These plugs look to me to have been like this for quite some time, but the schedule is to change them out for new ones at the 12000km/7500mile service. So most people won't even know or see this going on, because they are taking them to dealers for the work.
It would seem a good idea in my opinion for the dealers to look at this early themselves to prevent future warranty claims. ;) the preventitive stuff could be done at the first service or if they were real smart, pre-delivery ;) it could save a lot of $$$$ in the long term like other brands are having to pay out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts