MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flew out to pick up my 2000 F4 and ride up to Moto Gp... but was having SO much fun riding in the canyons in Malibu, that I sold my tickets to the race to race the twisties myself.

After a week of getting to know this bike, I rode the 3,100 miles home.
(I have a 748 Duc that I did a CT to CA and back... 7,200 miles, last July)
The bike had 16,000 miles on her when I started and ran flawlessly all the way home.

Going through the Rockies was a blast! I only had the nerve to get up to 130 mph, but NO drama! this bike wanted to go faster. I was pulled over shortly there after, which was a little concerning as I had the license plate from my 748 on the bike (I couldn't regester the F4 until I got it home to CT) Fortunetly the trooper was a nice guy who just didn't want me to fly off into the desert never to found by anyone other than the buzzards and gave me a warning.

It's good to be home and out of my leathers!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take 5 - 6 days on average, you should stop a see the country... Vegas, Grand Canyon, etc. I think that after 3 trips across, next time I'll ship a bike out to the west and spend more riding time in the canyons. From the East Coast to the Rockies the roads are just TOO straight, but the roads out west are great to carve.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Did you check out the Rock Store when you were in Malibu? Next time your coming out to the West coast give us a heads up and will meet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rock store is a great place to hang... but the canyons were calling. It seemed as is the roads were empty as everyone went north for the GP.

I may have my 748 shipped out to LA so as to have a bike out there when I visit, and i don't want to cross the mid-west again to get there.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Rock Store is just one of the local early morning destination places. Typically on any weekend (other than Moto GP) there are 75-100+ riders there. Glad you had a chance to hit the canyons.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had a MV breakdown. I was ridind up to get my MV regestererd (it's been 4,000+ miles) and the bike came to a stop. As I have a 748 (same designer) I checked the gas tank only to find a fountain running inside (A fuel hose came off the pump) and took off the tank, opened the fuel plate, reatttached the line... but the gasket was old and needed replacing. $30 taxi, $10 gasket, 4 hours of being McGiver on the side off the road to fix, and i'm happy... it could have happpened in the Mohave Desert 4 days ago.
I had the same problem with my 748 last year.
I am lucky to break down 20 mile from home instead of 3,000 miles from home...it's good to be me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
same thing happened with my 748

my fuel hose disconnected as well and i had to get AAA to tow me out of the canyons here in colorado... twice. i replaced the whole assembly and let the mechanics do it the second time but still had problems. so i had to sell the my 748 ... a truly sad day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My first trip across the country on the 748,all I had was a fanny pack w/ a wallet, camera, cell phone, one t-shirt, boxers, socks and a couple of condoms. I mailed some clothes to my friend in LA and got tooth brushes etc, from each hotel at check in.

This time on the MV, I had a hard-shell back pack by AXIO, so I could bring a nicer polo shirt and extra jeans. It's much more fun to have NO baggage, so that when you find a great road you can tear it up.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I rode 1500 km on my MV SR with a back pack and it was painful. Made the same mistake on a recent group weekend ride. So I decided to get a Ducati ST3 for touring and commuting. Now I keep the MV mostly for riding the local mountain twisties - 10 mins from home! A great combination. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All that I bring w/ me are a:
wallet,
Digital camera,
cellphone,
1 shirt,
! underwear,
! pr socks
toothbush,
and ship all other clothes ahead, and then home.

The GPS tells me where to go
The hotel makes the bed
the restaurant cooks
the bartender makes the martinis

I just have fun!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts