MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my dealer today getting a new front tire (funny - worn out at 4500 miles but the rear is fine) and there is a technical service bulletin for the clutch. Looks like some internal parts need to be replaced. Evidently isn't dangerous, and my dealer started the paperwork to get the parts for it. To quote my service manager "looks like MV wants to start being a real company" as they are requiring the dealer to first send paperwork to the US office, then have the US office send to Italy (as opposed to just letting the US office initiate). Ahh, bureaucracy...

On a positive note, the bike continues to make me giggle. Weekend after next I go in for tweaks with a local suspension guru.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Two observations on this; tech at Ed Cosker's mentioned that there was a clutch modification available and would hopefully fit this to my TV the next time I'm in. Said it was to reduce noise.

Front tyre, pretty shocked but mine was down to wear markers by lunchtime today on the right shoulder, now as good as bald in the same place a few hours later. Total mileage: 2,385! Still about 500 miles until home so will have to be very careful if it rains. Good news is weather looks fine for tomorrow, our last full day in Spain. Will reduce/eliminate trail braking into right-handers for the rest of the trip...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Jen has taken her TV back to the dealer complaining of excessive clutch noise and a judder when pulling away, we were aware of the TSB so in it went.

Bike on the ramp clutch out and inspected, no apparent sign of damage/wear, parts on order but we all know its going to be a good wait before those turn up, bike on a bit over 5k miles. Not a happy wife at the moment :thewife:

·
Registered
80 Posts
My bike has been stuck at the dealer for nearly two months . It has the usual 10 niggly things , but it is the TSB on the clutch and the dealer saying the bike can't be ridden because of this, that is the real problem.
Have any other TV owners been told not to ride the bike until the clutch is fixed /and or have the parts been available to do the repairs.
Summer is slipping away here.
thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
it is the TSB on the clutch and the dealer saying the bike can't be ridden because of this, that is the real problem.
Have any other TV owners been told not to ride the bike until the clutch is fixed /and or have the parts been available to do the repairs.
Sympathies on being bike-less at this time of year. No warning from dealer regarding not riding the bike, would be quite miffed if he did... If it were dangerous this would surely be a recall rather than a service bulletin.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
My bike has been stuck at the dealer for nearly two months . It has the usual 10 niggly things , but it is the TSB on the clutch and the dealer saying the bike can't be ridden because of this, that is the real problem.
thanks
Where are you located ?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Sympathies on being bike-less at this time of year. No warning from dealer regarding not riding the bike, would be quite miffed if he did... If it were dangerous this would surely be a recall rather than a service bulletin.
This one ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
This one ?
Interesting - they allow 48 mins to perform the procedure from start to finish. Sounds about right? I have been told some crazy (low) times for some things by dealers.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Interesting - they allow 48 mins to perform the procedure from start to finish. Sounds about right? I have been told some crazy (low) times for some things by dealers.
Hahaha, I always laugh at those times Simon. :ahhh:
This is how it's done in 48 mins - don't drain the oil, just throw the bike on it's side on a mattress, rip the clutch cover off, do the job, don't worry about cleaning off the old broken gasket parts, just RTV the cover back on ASAP.
Job preferably done by lowest paid employee, the bike washer guy would do. :)

PS. Just kidding, but I think the factory times the job on the production line......soo glad I'm not a dealer some days, I know it can be done in this time, but you need your sharp mechanic on it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
This one ?
Thanks Dons, I've seen the service bulletin, that's what is is though, not a recall.

As I understand it:
The former is an instruction to dealers to implement a non critical update, likely when the vehicle is next in for other work.
The latter is more serious and requires that the owners of affected vehicles are contacted for immediate remedial action by the dealer.

The UK DVSA lists only recalls on the F4

I was surprised when TVLKAWASUKI said his dealer was stopping him riding the bike due to the clutch. This is suggesting that there is a safety concern and if that's the case this should be a recall, not a service bulletin.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This one ?
Thanks for posting this Dons- sure helps to understand what the actual problem is. In my case , the clutch is working fine. I just happened to mention to the service rep when the bike was in for some other stuff that there was mechanical noise - no big deal. I can only assume they were being over cautious as the repair is only the rubbers in the cush drive allowing more rattle in the clutch until the tolerances are taken up tighter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Dons, I've seen the service bulletin, that's what is is though, not a recall.

As I understand it:
The former is an instruction to dealers to implement a non critical update, likely when the vehicle is next in for other work.
The latter is more serious and requires that the owners of affected vehicles are contacted for immediate remedial action by the dealer.

The UK DVSA lists only recalls on the F4

I was surprised when TVLKAWASUKI said his dealer was stopping him riding the bike due to the clutch. This is suggesting that there is a safety concern and if that's the case this should be a recall, not a service bulletin.
Thanks Chas for clearing up the difference between the TSB and a recall. These statements are rather specific.Once I questioned the service guy about the difference between the two and that there didn't appear to be any good reason why the bike couldn't be ridden , he had to agree. And once seeing the description of the problem on the TSB post -basically replacing the rubbers in the cush drive to take up the slack , taking the bike for the interim didn't seem to be a problem . So back to riding this week end- great !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Chas for clearing up the difference between the TSB and a recall. These statements are rather specific.Once I questioned the service guy about the difference between the two and that there didn't appear to be any good reason why the bike couldn't be ridden , he had to agree. And once seeing the description of the problem on the TSB post -basically replacing the rubbers in the cush drive to take up the slack , taking the bike for the interim didn't seem to be a problem . So back to riding this week end- great !
Did you feel or hear any difference with the clutch repair?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to say I think there is either a safety issue with the TSB, or something else is wrong with the clutch on my bike.

I had requested my dealership take a look at my clutch about a month ago. One day while riding in stop and go traffic, suddenly the engagement point of my clutch changed and was all the way against the handle bar. This made it very difficult to ride as there was no friction zone. As soon as you eased the handle off the bar even a hair, the clutch was fully engaged, and the bike would either roll or stall.

Then my clutch switch went out. I finally get an appointment with the dealership. They keep the bike 10 days, when I pick it up they tell me the clutch switch parts are on order, but the TSB on the clutch had been performed. This was Saturday. I had the bike just 3 days before it all went wrong again.

Last night on my way home from work, in stop and go traffic again. The bike had been difficult to shift, but I attributed it to me being on a loaner bike (triumph) and it being rider error, not a bike problem. When at the back of a line at a signal changed to green, suddenly the bike stalled with the clutch lever all the way in when I shifted to first gear. Since the clutch switch is bad, I had to find neutral, while the traffic behind me starts to get impatient and begins to honk. I get the bike in neutral, started and manage to get it moving in first gear in time to miss the light. Next cycle round I'm first in line, go to put the bike in gear, this time giving it a little throttle with the clutch pulled in, my hand off the brakes. This time the bikes starts moving like I have released the clutch. I try to find neutral once I get through the light, but now it won't shift easily. I overshoot and go into second, all with my clutch lever fully squeezed in.

Thankfully there is a driveway just through the intersection which I pull in. I stop the bike with the engine cut off switch as the bike wants to keep going with the clutch in. Once stopped, I get off the bike to call the dealership. While on the phone with the dealership, a small pool of fluid starts forming under the bike. A mostly clear fluid, which looks very much like either clean oil or possibly the hydraulic fluid for the clutch.

Essentially what ever went wrong with my bike feels like there is no clutch at all. There is no way to disengage the engine from the transmission or rear wheel. While up shifts can be accomplished easily by rolling off the throttle, downshifts are a different matter, and with no clutch switch the quickshifter does not work.

I get the bike to the dealership and the service writer tells me the mechanic never touched my bike, he just ordered the parts for the clutch switch and sent it home thinking it was safe to ride.

I am NOT happy with my dealership since they led me to believe that the TSB for the clutch had been performed. NOT HAPPY AT ALL!. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
22,615 Posts
Reading what you are experiencing, I was going to suggest checking the clutch fluid level as it sounded like you had low fluid, or the system needed a good bleed, or there is a leak.

Apparently there is a leak.

Perhaps the service technician introduced a leak by not tightening up the clutch fluid fittings....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well until yesterday there was no leak. 5500 miles on the bike and the leak started on my way home. It is definitely related, but I don't know if it is a cause of the issues, or a symptom of them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts