MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all the experts my bike sounds like a diesel motor I presume it is the clutch sounds like a dry clutch what are your thoughts do I have to replace parts ? And what part do you think is causing this. Cheers eddy

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
noise?

Eddy;
noise in neutral?
in gear?
with the lever pulled?
any vibration? when?

give us some clues

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My clutch is noisy when in neutral and you let go of the lever.
Not quite Ducati bag of nails noise but definately noisy.
Pull lever and goes quiet.

This appears to be normal as my 750 did this and 910 does it.
I assume it's the friction and metal plates rattling around as whilst they are wet they aren't completely submersed.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Bugger, this is always a tricky one to judge Eddy, either way, I would pick which is the easier to check, clutch or timing chain tensioner.
Those clutches are real easy to open and measure up, and the timing chain tensioner, you have Jon there which should be an expert at them by now.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timing chain tensioner is first I think but do I have to pull the bloody head cover off to do it or take the risk and just change it big risk your thoughts

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Eddy;
do you have a mechanic's stethoscope?

getting quieter when you pull the clutch lever is usually play in the hub, quieter when you let go of it the pressure plate bearing

a stethoscope will tell you if its the clutch or cam chain tensioner so check it out

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Hey eddy, we should catch up and compare. Mine has always had a clutch knock which I attributed to gear slack. Not a tap tap tap, but a knock. Goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in to the bar. Hasn't got much worse with time and 37000kms.
Different sound to the tensioner and a different place.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John will have to catch up with you ,you experience on what you feel it could be ,maybe i am just being picky.cheers eddy

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Noel,play in the hub ,would this make a kind of tapping sound,hang on i will take a video of it,back shortly

·
Registered
975 Posts
sounds like my 1078 and 750, got a tyre done in wodonga recently and the mechanics first words were " does that always rattle like that ?"

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Cus maybe this sound is normal and I am just looking to pull another part of my bike to pieces . Lol

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ha, yeah maybe but it is probably worth checking out just for your own piece of mind .Once in a while I find myself wondering if that rattle is louder than before. Usually a couple of beers seems to make it sound better. Intersted to hear what you find if you pull it apart.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sounds about normal to me too.

One thing I can say is when the cam chain tensioner does let go there is LOTS more noise, you will be in no doubt that noise was not there before....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts