MV Agusta Forum banner

Clutch Release

25K views 95 replies 26 participants last post by  J.C. 
#1 ·
I can't seem to find any posts about this problem so here goes. My 2016 TVL is very sensitive when I try and let out the clutch from a complete stop. If I don't very gently and slowly let it engage, the machine acts like a bucking bronco. Before I call my local dealer and engage the service department in another dead-end conversation, does anyone have any insight on what I should look for?

#5 ·
My Turismo had the same problem. During my almost 18,000 miles of ownership I changed the clutch switch once and cush drive rubbers a few times and also had the recall for the clutch update carried out by my dealer. None of these resolved the issue. The clutch was never particularly precise with a slight click felt at the lever on release. The kangaroo thing was a rare occurrence but it was pretty annoying, if not dangerous, when it happened. It is something that other TV owners have experienced and reported on this forum.

A suggested theory is that it's something to do with the slipper clutch, however, it's really the wrong direction of drive for this to be happening. Maybe the slipper clutch design is at fault?

• Helpful
Reactions: J.C.
#6 ·
#7 ·
Slipper clutch can cause erratic engagement depending on operation prior to disengaging and coming to a stop. High rpm deceleration with a last minute dis-engagement can leave the slipper partially loaded. Probably some other scenarios as well. The click felt is the slipper deactivating.

At least that's my theory..... :blah:

Reactions: Brutale800RR
#8 ·
I had the Bulletin 168 clutch update performed at 6900 miles. I now have 16K miles. Nothing much has changed. When I engage the clutch, I don't hear a click. So I'm not sure about the slipper clutch phenomena.
Anybody have any advice on how maybe to get this bike off from a dead stop a little quicker? I've owned maybe 30 different motorcycles over a span of about 55 years and this one is the hardest ever to get smoothly going.

#9 ·
Has this occurred from new?
What oil is used?

My Turismo, '16 does not act as you describe.
However, with similar owner experience as you, I can ride around a lot of machine problems.

Maybe technique?
Maybe the clutch disks are glazed and need resurfacing or replacement?
Have you tried different engine oil?

Rode a Buell for 12 years with constant concern that the drive belt would break, it never did. But, that concern modified my launch from a stop technique to be very progressive over time without too much sipping of the clutch.

(I don't like the hydro clutch or the slipper feature; and if it were cost effective I'd gladly do away with both.)

#12 ·
Too much oil in an engine can cause a lot of funny things....and sometimes not so funny.

If your oil level is high you need to drain some out !!!

#13 ·
I found that just easing the clutch out without any throttle worked best, obviously as long as I was on level ground or a downslope. I reduced the traction control and that seemed to help for awhile, but finally my neuropathy kept me from being able to feel what was going on; probably the root cause of my difficulty all along. Try reducing traction control and see if that helps. I found that easing out the clutch with the throttle at idle, the engine seemed to increase the idle speed on it's own. It also seemed that long periods of slow speed in-town riding made the throttle more sensitive; (remember my nerve damage) alleviated by - ahem - vigorous acceleration.

For this reason alone, if I were to buy today, it'd be the SCS version. Keep after it, there must be some way to fix this issue.

#14 ·
I have had it happen twice on my bike, both times after long ride out of around 300-350 miles and both times when it had been raining. I suspect it is to do with the lack of feel of the bite point and probably the condition of the brake/clutch fluid which is due for a change soon anyway.

Is the SCS version available as a retrofit option for the older bikes?

#15 ·
Well that little problem got solved.
An un-named MV Agusta dealer in Escondido, CA managed to put a wee too much oil in the bike at the last service interval.
See picture.
Now considering that I bought the bike with 13551 miles, it now has 16100 miles on it, and the service was reputedly done at 9000 miles or so, it almost defies belief as to how much oil was originally stuffed into this thing.
The picture shows a 1.75 liter bottle with excess oil that was removed.
BTW: Clutch is soooooooo much better.

Attachments

#17 ·
Time will tell. Glad it is sorted.

#22 ·
I sent a text message to Rekluse inquiring about an aftermarket kit. Their reply was that they had nothing anytime soon in the planning stages for a kit for the TVL. Also, they indictated that the SCS TVL was a highly specialized collaboration between MV and Agusta that involved a lot of work to the MV ECU.
I would say to not look for that ever.

Took the TVL for a 100 mile ride today. Didn't blow a single start-from-stop. Tried pretty hard to abuse it as well. Very, very happy with things now. Amazing what a little too much oil an do.

#23 ·
I sent a text message to Rekluse inquiring about an aftermarket kit. Their reply was that they had nothing anytime soon in the planning stages for a kit for the TVL.

Also, they indictated that the SCS TVL was a highly specialized collaboration between MV and Agusta that involved a lot of work to the MV ECU.

I would say to not look for that ever.

Took the TVL for a 100 mile ride today. Didn't blow a single start-from-stop. Tried pretty hard to abuse it as well. Very, very happy with things now. Amazing what a little too much oil an do.
There (as much as I understand how recluse works) is no electronic control of their clutch.
So I wonder what mysterious "work" was done within the ECU?

I haven't seen a TV w/Rekluse up close, but I would not be surprised if the clutch assembly is longer to accommodate the extra hardware.

#26 ·
The ECU prevents stupidity in operation.

For instance, if you neglect to downshift to first gear (since you can come to a stop without using the clutch at all with the Rekluse) the ECU will modulate throttle as you try to pull away preventing burning up the clutch. You will accelerate exceedingly slowly until the clutch can safely engage.

Likewise, when you back off the gas going into a corner and then wack the throttle on without considering if you are in the correct gear the ECU will take care of your ineptness to prevent any abrupt engagement.

Lots of ways the EC watches what you are doing and makes adjustments to accommodate the Rekluss clutch. There really was a great deal of cooperative development in bringing this to market.

And Rekluss clutches take up the same space as a normal clutch.....it's a bolt on for off road products (they don't have the same potential liabilities as on road products).

#28 ·
Hello Gentlemen,

I believe esq'z me wrapped it up quite nicely
As I am awaiting the delivery of a SCS, I already spend some time trying to understand the machine and especially
the SCS addition
This forum provides answers to almost any problem, but I might be at the front when it comes to the SCS
And yes, in trying to understand the Rekluse clutch, the integrated MV concept, and the required functionalities, there is more to it then a Rekluse clutch
The point is that one might consider an upgrade of a TVL (or any other bike) with a (mechanical) Rekluse clutch
Assuming Rekluse has the "fitting" unit
BUT what you will get is NOT a TVL SCS

Regards,

Evert

#29 ·
I'm not sure Rekluse will sell the clutch alone as they claim common work with MV Agusta. That being said, it should be quite easy to buy the parts from MV Agusta and fitting by ourselves (as long as they are referenced and available, which is another story)...

#31 ·
I definitely have this same intermittent problem on my 16 TV. Kangarooing at launch whenever I least expect it. The clutch service bulletin linked earlier in this thread has been ordered. My bike went into shop for a complete shut down issue(!) and some non-starting issues which they couldn't replicate--but they did notice this TSB.

So Sebraub, the tsb didn't solve your issue but an oil change did?? DId you happen to have the clutch basket looked at per the issues in the linked check your clutch basket thread?

#32 ·
I just want to add, that my bike (Dragster Euro4) had the same clutch issue. It wasn't legible for the clutch replacement.....

but...my clutch was absolutely fine after it's 3500m service. Mechanic also reckons it was to do with the oil, either amount or the state.

Needless to say, the clutch is now 99% fine with regards to biting point. The 1% is the very first time I go to pull off from stand still while engine is cold after bike has rested overnight.

Mechanic told me to keep an eye on it and if I still have probs to bring it in so he can take pics and submit to MV to challenge the warranty rejection

#33 ·
MY TV is nearly 3 years old with about 10,000 miles on the clock. I've had the same issue but, until this year it was very occasional. Unfortunately, it is now very regular meaning any attempt at a quick pull-away results in the clutch banging and kangarooing making it very dangerous. I'm booking the bike in with and independent top-class bike engineer who going to take a look at it. One (utterly useless) MV dealer suggested it was me and my riding! Maybe nearly 50 years in the saddle means I'm still a novice. Phtt!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.