MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any posts about this problem so here goes. My 2016 TVL is very sensitive when I try and let out the clutch from a complete stop. If I don't very gently and slowly let it engage, the machine acts like a bucking bronco. Before I call my local dealer and engage the service department in another dead-end conversation, does anyone have any insight on what I should look for?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lever travel is very good and zero problems with fluid leaks. The entire action is quite smooth as long as I don't let it out too quick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible that the Cush drive rubbers are causing or contributing to this problem?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My Turismo had the same problem. During my almost 18,000 miles of ownership I changed the clutch switch once and cush drive rubbers a few times and also had the recall for the clutch update carried out by my dealer. None of these resolved the issue. The clutch was never particularly precise with a slight click felt at the lever on release. The kangaroo thing was a rare occurrence but it was pretty annoying, if not dangerous, when it happened. It is something that other TV owners have experienced and reported on this forum.

A suggested theory is that it's something to do with the slipper clutch, however, it's really the wrong direction of drive for this to be happening. Maybe the slipper clutch design is at fault?

·
Registered
769 Posts

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
Slipper clutch can cause erratic engagement depending on operation prior to disengaging and coming to a stop. High rpm deceleration with a last minute dis-engagement can leave the slipper partially loaded. Probably some other scenarios as well. The click felt is the slipper deactivating.

At least that's my theory..... :blah:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the Bulletin 168 clutch update performed at 6900 miles. I now have 16K miles. Nothing much has changed. When I engage the clutch, I don't hear a click. So I'm not sure about the slipper clutch phenomena.
Anybody have any advice on how maybe to get this bike off from a dead stop a little quicker? I've owned maybe 30 different motorcycles over a span of about 55 years and this one is the hardest ever to get smoothly going.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had the Bulletin 168 clutch update performed at 6900 miles. I now have 16K miles. Nothing much has changed. When I engage the clutch, I don't hear a click. So I'm not sure about the slipper clutch phenomena.
Anybody have any advice on how maybe to get this bike off from a dead stop a little quicker? I've owned maybe 30 different motorcycles over a span of about 55 years and this one is the hardest ever to get smoothly going.
Has this occurred from new?
What oil is used?

My Turismo, '16 does not act as you describe.
However, with similar owner experience as you, I can ride around a lot of machine problems.

Maybe technique?
Maybe the clutch disks are glazed and need resurfacing or replacement?
Have you tried different engine oil?

Rode a Buell for 12 years with constant concern that the drive belt would break, it never did. But, that concern modified my launch from a stop technique to be very progressive over time without too much sipping of the clutch.

(I don't like the hydro clutch or the slipper feature; and if it were cost effective I'd gladly do away with both.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil is proper. Riding technique is satisfactory, considering the years I've been doing it.
Just talked to a tech at my local dealer. Clueless. Why do I bother?
Guess it's time to get the service manual out and start taking things apart.

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
A thought:
Would too much oil in the clutch maybe cause this?
Too much oil in an engine can cause a lot of funny things....and sometimes not so funny.

If your oil level is high you need to drain some out !!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I found that just easing the clutch out without any throttle worked best, obviously as long as I was on level ground or a downslope. I reduced the traction control and that seemed to help for awhile, but finally my neuropathy kept me from being able to feel what was going on; probably the root cause of my difficulty all along. Try reducing traction control and see if that helps. I found that easing out the clutch with the throttle at idle, the engine seemed to increase the idle speed on it's own. It also seemed that long periods of slow speed in-town riding made the throttle more sensitive; (remember my nerve damage) alleviated by - ahem - vigorous acceleration.

For this reason alone, if I were to buy today, it'd be the SCS version. Keep after it, there must be some way to fix this issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had it happen twice on my bike, both times after long ride out of around 300-350 miles and both times when it had been raining. I suspect it is to do with the lack of feel of the bite point and probably the condition of the brake/clutch fluid which is due for a change soon anyway.

Is the SCS version available as a retrofit option for the older bikes?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that little problem got solved.
An un-named MV Agusta dealer in Escondido, CA managed to put a wee too much oil in the bike at the last service interval.
See picture.
Now considering that I bought the bike with 13551 miles, it now has 16100 miles on it, and the service was reputedly done at 9000 miles or so, it almost defies belief as to how much oil was originally stuffed into this thing.
The picture shows a 1.75 liter bottle with excess oil that was removed.
BTW: Clutch is soooooooo much better.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,422 Posts
Time will tell. Glad it is sorted.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great article.... funny.... well written... I really do want the Rekluse SCS.... next bike probably...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts