MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw in another thread the notches on the clutch plate tabs and was wondering what are they for?

Are they supposed to all be lined up or does it not matter? The manual makes no mention of lining up the gaps from the start to end of the clutch pack.

See picture below for what I'm talking about.

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
Some manufacturers will use that to indicate a slightly wider or more narrow tab. Used in assembly to minimize noises while enabling free movement....but I have no idea about MV.

Try measuring the different tabs and see what you get. + 0.25 mm or - 0.25????

If the manual says nothing special about them I wouldn't do anything special about them.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

Some manufacturers will use that to indicate a slightly wider or more narrow tab. Used in assembly to minimize noises while enabling free movement....but I have no idea about MV.

Try measuring the different tabs and see what you get. + 0.25 mm or - 0.25????

If the manual says nothing special about them I wouldn't do anything special about them.
Tab tolerance measured with a Tesamaster micrometer + - 0.005mm

Checked both a 1000S and a later MV slipper clutch

All of the slipper clutch plates had 3 notches, 120° apart

The ends of the tabs are thicker, machined thicker......not simple parts made by Fredo in the barn
:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So in layman terms, the notches indicate a class of clutch plate in terms of thickness?

So a plate with notches at 120 degrees will be different in thickness to a clutch plate with no notches or notches at 90 degrees for instance?

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
Tab thickness, not the plate material. Maybe a balancing thing ??

I notice Noel has all the notches aligned in his photo. If that is the way it came from the factory that could make sense.

But the manuals make no mention of it, so it must not be important.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
????

Come on folks, all of the plates and discs MUST be balanced by accurate manufacturing......not balancing
You have to be able to assemble the clutch in any radial orientation and have it balanced

THINK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts