MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible that my clutch is bad @ 12k miles? It started slipping this morning at half throttle accelerations....it felt like clutch. I've never messed around with a motorcycle clutch. Could it be I need tighter springs if there's enough pad material? I haven't opened it yet.

First of all would the recall have any effect on the clutch slipping? I know the recal was for the bushings in the clutch but....

Secondly if it's not a recall issue what clutch would you all recamend that would last the longest?

I ride a 2016 Turismo Veloce 800

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey,

I am no mechanic so just a dumb ass thought - have you done a service and replaced the oil with car oil? There friction modifiers that shouldn't be used in a bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

I am no mechanic so just a dumb ass thought - have you done a service and replaced the oil with car oil? There friction modifiers that shouldn't be used in a bike.
I want this to be true. My oil is at 2600 miles and I used vp racing motorcycle oil. It's about time to change it.

Please have this be the answer Lord!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same on my Stradale ,what i thought was clutch slip turned out to be 2 broken clutch plates

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same on my Stradale ,what i thought was clutch slip turned out to be 2 broken clutch plates
I think my wife will divorce me if this bike has one more problem with it....

Did you take it to a dealer and had them service it or did you buy the parts and do it yourself?

I don't want this to keep happening with any of the parts that constantly break on this motorcycle so I'm looking for a semi permanent solution ie more heavy duty

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had a similar issue and it was the clutch cable binding, disconnect the clutch cable at the engine and check to make sure the cable moves in and out freely

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar issue and it was the clutch cable binding, disconnect the clutch cable at the engine and check to make sure the cable moves in and out freely
Thank you for the thought but my bike has a hydraulically actuated clutch

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think my wife will divorce me if this bike has one more problem with it....

Did you take it to a dealer and had them service it or did you buy the parts and do it yourself?

I don't want this to keep happening with any of the parts that constantly break on this motorcycle so I'm looking for a semi permanent solution ie more heavy duty

I took mine to Moto Corsa here in the UK ,cost me £180 all in ,Think we are married to the same war department:surprise:

·
Registered
492 Posts
The clutch is a maintenance item. You can easily burn your clutch out with that many miles and much less. It all depends on how you ride.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just bought some motul and a new filter. Here's for hoping.

Going with the cheapest option first... I know it's a wear item but dang I'd like to think my constant use of the quick shifter and 90% Highway miles would make it last longer than 12,000.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took mine to Moto Corsa here in the UK ,cost me £180 all in ,Think we are married to the same war department:surprise:
That's not terrible ...if this oil change doesn't do the trick I will be looking that direction.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't work....I guess I'm going to be looking for a new clutch now.

Anyone know of another option other than oem where I have to wait a month? Will a F3 clutch work in my TV?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Alex from GP Racing is on this board and in Sacramento, CA area. I’ve ordered from him several times and he should be able to assist you.

Speaking to your clutch. Mine went out around 18k. I was heavy on it and a daily rider. Never worked on a clutch before but it was quite easy. The hardest part was remembering the sequence of plates when putting it back together.

I found a plate in there that had a thick groove. Hard to explain but you’ll know when you see it. That was caused by the slimmer ring that, for lack of better words, has a slanted angle to it which caused the groove. The slanting of the thin ring is normal.

After replacing that, the plates and spring everything was back to normal.

If the bike is under warranty and there is a recall on the clutch please take it in for service. At least the can open it up and look for free. You’ll know what your dealing with then.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I took your advise ATOM and I really don't see anything wrong with it. There looks to me to be a lot of life left in the friction disks. And the drive plates don't have heat marks or scorching on them they look clean.

I see what your talking about the two rings one is sort of tapered and the other is flat. What happened to yours? I'm not understanding what went wrong or if mine has this issue aswell.

I think I am going to try putting a 1mm copper washer inline with the springs to make them clamp harder. Unless someone has done this before and thinks it's a terrible idea.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh crap. I see what you mean. The plate that the tapered ring rides against is grooved. Is this what is causing my clutch to slip???

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what the two rings are even there for?? Seems to me like if that's a failure point I should just get rid of them and add another friction disk and drive plate, get a shim on all four springs and/or heavier clamping springs.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
Here I was, coffee in hand, ready to jump into the manual :f4: for your bike in order to look a few things up and see if I can help in this situation.....:mouthwate

Now, I guess I'll just have to finish my coffee and move on. :conveyer::conveyer::conveyer:

Oh how I wish folks would put their bike model and year in their signature line:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:.....or at least somewhere in the thread.....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here I was, coffee in hand, ready to jump into the manual :f4: for your bike in order to look a few things up and see if I can help in this situation.....:mouthwate

Now, I guess I'll just have to finish my coffee and move on. :conveyer::conveyer::conveyer:

Oh how I wish folks would put their bike model and year in their signature line:ahhh::ahhh::ahhh:.....or at least somewhere in the thread.....:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Sorry you couldn't find it but I mentioned it in post number 12 but I added it to my profile to make it easier. I guess I figured that people know me by now. I am willing to hear any and all opinions about the issues. I added it to #1 post aswell.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
Didn't work....I guess I'm going to be looking for a new clutch now.

Anyone know of another option other than oem where I have to wait a month? Will a F3 clutch work in my TV?

Apparently you don't understand the need for specificity here.

Is it an SCS TV?

Year and specific model are what helps when diagnosing issues. You have already fielde suggestions about cable clutches, so this should be apparent to you.

Having it "in your profile" means that those of us who would like to help have to go searching....make it readily apparent.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is not an SCS. I understand where it could be confusing. It is now listed in all the places you asked.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts