MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is impossible to live with due to a few problems.
Firstly the bike stalls when put into 1st gear more often than not. If i do manage to get going the bike will still pull forward even with the clutch fully pulled in. I have had this twice over the years with cable clutches snagging, etc., but this is hydraulic of course. When doing say 60 mph and coming down for a stop sign, the bike is incredibly reluctantly to down shift and i am doing just 25 and still stuck in 5th or 6th gear. It's caused a lot of problems for other road users, sittng there trying to get down through the gearbox.
Could the issue simply be clutch drag and could the gearbox and clutch problems be linked?
I only just bought this bike and after 100 miles i hate it currently, although the looks, sound and handling i adore.
Any help very appreciated.
My limited mechanical knowledge would be a clutch fluid change and hope for the best!

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
You are on the right track....change the fluid and thoroughly bleed the clutch.

·
Registered
14,301 Posts
Grindle;
Fluid change and a correct bleed
Learn to shift without the clutch.......MVs have one of the best transmissions ever

·
Registered
14,301 Posts
Grindle;
Clutch bleeding/flushing procedure

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theknurl, i was clutchless shifting in the 70s whilst up against people like Barry Sheene and Steve Parrish and ever since mate. The bike won't change down with or without the clutch in any case. I will try a full bleed, new engine oil, new iridium spark plugs as i have a set handy and see if it's any better. I always use the clutch on the road for downshifts.

·
Registered
14,301 Posts
Grindle;
If it only shifts one direction......
Pull the cover of the shift mechanism off
Page G11 of the parts manual, one of item #25, the shift ratchet pawl spring has broken
Simple repair and nothing goes flying either

1 - 8 of 8 Posts