MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

My 2004 F4 has a clutch that drags when I have the clutch lever pulled all the way in and in first gear. If I let the brake lever go, the bike will lurch and keep going if I let it. Here's what I have checked so far:

1. New clutch fluid and bled properly, no air bubbles.
2. Clutch lever adjustment is set to furthest point out.

The bike had been tipped over at a standstill and that did bend the clutch lever slightly. I have been able to bend the clutch lever back by applying heat and pressure to it so its back to normal now.

I am wondering what else I should check? Thanks in advance, I have tried the search function but did not come up with much help there.

-John

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
creeping?

John;
either it isn't bled or the M/C piston isn't returning all the way because of the damage

it's just not pushing the slave far enough

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John;
either it isn't bled or the M/C piston isn't returning all the way because of the damage

it's just not pushing the slave far enough
Noel,

Thanks for the help.

I am pretty certain that I bled it correctly.

Is there any physical way to check to M/C piston? or do I just have to replace it to see if it corrects the issue?

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
Noel,

Thanks for the help.

I am pretty certain that I bled it correctly.

Is there any physical way to check to M/C piston? or do I just have to replace it to see if it corrects the issue?
no, you need to remove the M/C and clamp it to a 7/8" bar
then remove the reservoir cover and point the M/C downhill.....you want the return port at the high point....
then if you slowly squeeze the lever 5-10mm the M/C piston will bleed itself through the return port

NB;
you may have bent the lever on the other side of the fulcrum.....i haven't looked at the possibilities

i think i still have a short clutch lever i'll look tomorrow, you're welcome to try it......but i'd bleed it my way 1st

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, you need to remove the M/C and clamp it to a 7/8" bar
then remove the reservoir cover and point the M/C downhill.....you want the return port at the high point....
then if you slowly squeeze the lever 5-10mm the M/C piston will bleed itself through the return port

NB;
you may have bent the lever on the other side of the fulcrum.....i haven't looked at the possibilities

i think i still have a short clutch lever i'll look tomorrow, you're welcome to try it......but i'd bleed it my way 1st
Noel,

Ok I'll try bleeding it that way first. I looked at the workshop manual and I think your method is similar?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Stock lever? (my CRG at full click, 6, and pulled all the way in doesn't totally engage the clutch). My factory lever does just fine.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I opened my oil filler cap today and squeezed the clutch lever while looking inside, I can see the clutch pressure plate moving in and out as I squeeze and release. So maybe the clutch slave is engaging and disengaging and my problem lies somewhere in the clutch plates?

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
?

outside chance;
too much play in clutch hub, hub nut loose....its happened

you can see the pressure plate move, but the clutch pack moves with it

not allowing a full release

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
outside chance;
too much play in clutch hub, hub nut loose....its happened

you can see the pressure plate move, but the clutch pack moves with it

not allowing a full release
I'm going to take a look at the hub this weekend, gotta drain the $70 worth of Amsoil I just put in :bash:

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
I'm going to take a look at the hub this weekend, gotta drain the $70 worth of Amsoil I just put in :bash:
John;
make sure the clutch and slave are bled....
i start at the slave....by removing it

gently pump the piston out aways, then with the return port at the high spot, now with your fingers push the piston all the way back in

any air is now in the M/C, now bleed it

still have a dragging clutch?

then check the clutch

drain your oil into a clean pan and just reuse it :drummer:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John;
make sure the clutch and slave are bled....
i start at the slave....by removing it

gently pump the piston out aways, then with the return port at the high spot, now with your fingers push the piston all the way back in

any air is now in the M/C, now bleed it

still have a dragging clutch?

then check the clutch

drain your oil into a clean pan and just reuse it :drummer:

Will do...thanks Noel

·
Registered
19 Posts
sounds like the same problem I had with failing slave cylinder seals, once changed the clutch gave me full travel and the gear change was far better with no drag, hope this is of use regards banjo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts