MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

recently bought a F4 1078 on the web, picked it up and gave it a quick check up.

Changed all fluids ( coolant, oil, brake front rear)
but when cleaning up the front sprocket i noticed the slave cylinder was leaking.
swapped it out with a OBERON, fitted some HEL brake & clutch pump.

But testing it for a quick blast in the streets shifting gears are almost impossible.
pulling in the clutch result in cruising around at 10km/h, impossible to push the bike in reverse, so if you dont hold the brake you still creep forward

You know what, i'm not bleeding it properly ?!? no way, lets open the clutch cover
Inspected it and found the basket had some notches, lets not dick around and replace the whole lot.

everything was still into spec but replaced the clutch pack and opted for an STM slipperclutch.
even bought the STM tool as i want it to be done properly.

Even after all that the result is the same, jeah maybe i'm not bleeding it properly.
eventhough i have bled enough brakes it could happen.

Did the following.

Normal bleeding with clear hose.
Mitvac bleeding.
Reverse filling.
bled ALL connection points
Disconnected the whole setup, clamp on the slave, highest point bleeding,tapping, overnighting,
changed the clutch slave with a caliper and had brickhard brake lever feel
Roughly pumped 1L around and i'm 100% sure i dont have air in the system.
Measured the movement of the clutch pack ( 2,5mm )
measured the clutch stack height and its in STM requirements, instalation done as required, removed the spring spacers, bearing swapped on the pressure plate, left the clutch discs in oil before mounting etc..

the shifting gets better when the bike is hot but even then its very hard to shift in town and impossible to find neutral.

so actually i changed the while kit, from pump to clutch & pack.
What else am i missing ?

Clutch rod actuator wrong ?
anything else i'm missing before accepting defeat and bringing it to a dealer ?

show me the error in my ways!!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Gear

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Bicycle part Audio equipment

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

White Watch Yellow Automotive tire Gear

Wood Gas Bumper Metal Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive design Bicycle part

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
If the volume of your slave and master are not matched, or the slave is of higher volume, you will have drag.
What engine oil are you running?

Reactions: Manfred

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
pump is 16, when applied it is at the end of its stroke,not the bars had the adjuster knob dailed out so i get maximum travel.
I'll try a 19mm pump, but that should only result in a harder feel at the lever no ?

10W60 motul full synth

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
There should be no hard feel at the lever....the clutch pushrod will move farther. What is the slave volume? Is it higher than standard?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
solved !

So it was the pump that was not displacing enough fluid, swapped it with a 19 mm and all is working fine, the root cause for my mistake is that i have changed too much in one go, so if anyone is following this, if you changed it to an oberon slave upgrade the pump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts