MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine snapped his clutch cable while riding. Cant seem to figure out how this may have happened. Bike only has 3,000k on it.

Is there any way we to change the cable system to a hydraulic system?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Donsy, is it bad for the bike to be using quick shift on a daily basis? Just spoke to my friend, he mentioned he has been using quick shift every day. He tried to put a new cable in, however in between the clutch there was a spring type mechanism which seems as thought it was locked. Once the cable was installed, it wouldn't return after the clutch was pulled.

He feels as thought this could have caused the issue.

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
Cables are simply wrapped wire in a metal tube. If you do not exercise that wire-in-tube arrangement and keep it lubricated, it will seize and snap the cable just as you have experienced. There are many cable lubricating devices and sprays on the market. If you aren't going to use your clutch, then at least maintain it.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
A Rivale would be a virtually brand new bike, so I can't imagine the cable dried out. Who knows why it snapped?

I don't like the way the clutch cable is routed around the evap can on the US Rivale, as it seems as if it's a little stressed, so I'm dumping my evap can soon.

As far as using the quick shifter, I'm enamored with mine as it's my first, so I use it on virtually every upshift when on the gas. Obviously, every downshift requires use of the clutch, so it should get plenty of use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree about the US EVAP can. I removed mine and just sealed up the tubes real nice so you don't even know it was there. It is NOT needed. Very bizarre about that clutch cable. I would not convert it to hydrolic. Unless you know of a fabrication engineer and they don't have the response of the cable ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cable snapped just a couple centimeter away the clutch lever.

We opened up the clutch housing to replace the cable, saw that the clutch rod had jammed. Am assuming when it jamed and the clutch was pulled thats when the cable must have snapped.

But very surprised to why the rod may have jammed.

Took apart the clutch and reinstalled it again. And everything was working fine again.

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
Very interesting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts