MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey went to see an mv f41000r the other day the guy said it had 2000 miles on it but it looked more like 10000 can you clock bikes?:jsm: i know they do cars by laptop are they the same?? and how could you tell if its been done apart from the same as a car mots ect

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
yes, they can switch dashes
on some bikes the ECU keeps a runtime log.....don't know about MVs whether its stored in the ECU or the dash i suspect the dash

:f4::brutale:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Just unclip the speed sensor, fit a bicycle speedo :naughty:

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Speedo mileage readings can be altered on most digital dashes.

Graham.

Go with your intuition and gut feeling. 9 times out of 10 it's normally spot on.. If it looks wrong, it probably is wrong.

Ask to see the servive history and related invoices, and if applicable any MOT certificates..

John

·
Registered
371 Posts
the guy said it had 2000 miles on it but it looked more like 10000 <<<< Means you smells something fishy? Why would you buy 2000 miles bike looks like 10000 miles bike?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i'd rather buy a bike with 10k miles that looked like it had 2k miles

·
Vendor
5,373 Posts
Can you get the service history of the bike from where it was serviced by the dealer because it is logged,but that will only work if the bike is serviced by a dealer and not by the owner,just a thought,Mitch.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
You can get a rough idea of milage by checking the wear on things that move. Like the clutch and brake levers, shifter and brake pedal etc. Are the nice and snug or do they have slop? Have a look at the brake rotors for wear. Can you feel a little ridge between the wear area and the non wear area? Check the chain for binding links and stretch. Switch housings tight on the bars or do they rotate a bit? Wear on the paint where legs grab the tank. tec. etc.

I bought a bike which had 7000 claimed miles on it with a broken speedo. He claimed it was actual. Total lie as the above mentioned stuff indicated alot more milage.

It's quite easy to turn back a clock. All one has to do is reach in there with a little sharp scribe or such and rotate the individual wheels. If you can get to the wheels.

And if you suspect all isn't right then walk away. Your gut will be telling you. There will be others and you'll avoid a mess with internal components that may be worn.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
It's quite easy to turn back a clock. All one has to do is reach in there with a little sharp scribe or such and rotate the individual wheels. If you can get to the wheels.
What wheels are those these days Lee?

Electronic clocks are even easier, look for 'mileage correction' in the local auto trader and a bloke will come and plug a lap top into your car and set the mileometer to whatever you want.

Manufacturers are getting cleverer though, VW/BMW etc also store the mileage deep in one of the ecu's, only accessible via the diagnostics, if the clock says 20,000 and the ecu says 40,000 someone has been playing

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Christ. I was thinking old (like me) with the individual drums for mileage. Can't seem to catch up with the times and stuck in the past. Where it was better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts