MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

Just a quick question. Im just about to get a 910R and started wondering about cleaning... I have a honda as a commuter bike and when cleaning that i just cover it in water, go hard with a soft brush, then cover with water again.

But in reading some of the threads regarding MV's it is becoming clear that might not be the best way to do things?

Cheers

Simon

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
No high pressure....I use garden hose with a low stream of water and a commonly available car wash soap, followed up with a careful towel dry and polishing.

The bike is not allergic to water, but you don't want to wash the lube out of seals or drive water into electrical connectors.....just like any bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
There really is no reason to use any water on your bike. There are many products out there that clean all of the surfaces without fear of infiltration into sensitive electronics. I use what used to be called Honda Polish and is now marketed as Next Dimesion Original Spray Cleaner and Polish. It works well with a micro fiber cloth and a simple polish up with a micro fiber towel.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My F3 is nearing 8 years old in June. I have never put a drop of water on it to clean it (maybe thats why I havent had any major electrical glitches -knock on wood).

I use:

WD-40 for wheels and engine

I use meguiars detailer for cleaning and touch ups after rides

If bad then I use wash and wax

Then wax with

Then black plastics with

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have never used water either, no chance of fastener corrosion or electrical issues. I just use Vulcanet wipes. 1 or 2 for the bodywork, 1 for the wheels, 1 for any other dirty/greasy parts like bottom of engine, rear sprocket etc.

15k miles later and she still looks new :)

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Other than on a dirt bike, have never cleaned bikes with water hose/sprayer

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
I use a garden hose to wash my bikes....never a pressure washer or high pressure nozzle, just open hose end.
I also always dry the bike and take a quick test ride after to help evaporate any residual water.
I have been doing this for 50 years on all my bikes. Never had a water related problem from washing....

Ever get caught in a rain storm? Did you immediately pull over and call for a covered trailer? Did the bike get wet in the rain waiting for said trailer?

Back when I raced off road I would use pressure washers on my bikes...but I also took them completely apart frequently and service everything.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I would guess that some may not be as lucky as us fair weather riders. If you ride in all weathers, you may need water to clean thoroughly?
Yep, fair call.

Even a damp sponge or chamois will do frig all behind rear shock mounts and linkages. If I were in a situation where I'd been riding through salt and crap, there'd probably be no better alternative.

Would give it a real hiding with a 1000W hair dryer afterwards though!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yep, fair call.

Even a damp sponge or chamois will do frig all behind rear shock mounts and linkages. If I were in a situation where I'd been riding through salt and crap, there'd probably be no better alternative.

Would give it a real hiding with a 1000W hair dryer afterwards though!!
You are better off with a leaf blow than a hair dryer. Also less likely to zap yourself dead too.

Bike on open trailer wont get dirty provided that the bike was clean to begin with. If you are still driving and the rain stops, the wind flow dries the bike. Then a quick touch up with a detailer and it looks like new again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts