MV Agusta Forum banner

Cleaning your MV

7K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Troz 
#1 ·
Okay guys......Happy Easter to all of you. Quick question for all. How and what do you use to clean your precious MV?

#2 ·
S100 is great, spray, rub gently :naughty: and rinse, rinse rinse!
Or any good liquid car wash will work fine. No sponges,use soft mitts, cotton diapers or microfiber cloths for polishing. Any good car wax is fine also.

For drying I just picked up one of those mini electric dryers made for blowing off your bike. Much better than compressed air or leaf blower....warm filtered air dries everything fast. (hint, buy them online at a dog grooming supplier, same unit and half the cost of the "bike" units)

John T

#3 ·
honda pro spray
and this stuff:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=11145

the pro spray is a better product. it's "solvent" based and has better cleaning action. dirt and bits of debris come off easy with the pro spray. but it's more expensive.

the speed shine is water based, so it doesn't really clean all that well. just more of a polish/wax. i got it free with an order from griot's, so the cost was right.

btw, i have seen some people claim that honda pro spray is nothing more than this: http://www.pledge.com/
personally, i have not verified that. but they sure do look and feel the same!

alex

#4 ·
My bike has never seen water in its life and if I have my way, never will!! :)

So cleaning is quite a simple affair of removing dust after a ride and re polish everything...silicone spray is a good product to finish with and the best wax you can buy.

Also use those ultra soft anti dust microcloths....gets rid of dust without any scratches

#6 ·
I use this for everything on the bike except the exhaust:

If you use it regularly, it repels brake dust and everything else fairly well, bugs on the headlight included. But for stubborn dead bugs and chain lube overspray that's gotten on my rims:

On my car I was sponsored by Zaino Bros....but I doubt they'de hook me up anymore. I swear by thier stuff, but it's so pricey and ordering cleaning products seems to be a hassle....especially if I'm not using thier wax...which is what I mainly swore by...

#9 ·
^^ +1...dish soap is probably the harshest stuff you can use. Like you said, it's great for pre-waxing though. I remember Zaino Bros said use dish soap, then clay bar, then thier wax....holy hell does that order of event make a HUGE difference on you wax outcome. Main flaw to Zaino wax...it's probably the biggest PITA wax to apply and buff off. Two stages, and it takes some muscles to buff it. If you don't have a buffing machine...get one :laughing:

#11 ·
airfuel said:
Dish soap is harsh! Strips wax but is good if you are going to wax after. Car soaps do not strip the wax.
I agree, but I don't wax the Brutale, as the matte finish would just get hazy, no way to make it shine (it's not supposed to, obviously), but sometimes for a lighter wash I just use honda spray cleaner, or carwash soap, but the dishsoap is great for the extreme dirt buildup I get from the dusty Arizona roads I ride everyday, rain or shine.

#13 ·
agusta01 said:
My bike has never seen water in its life and if I have my way, never will!! :)
Wow...amazing.

We did a tour of Tassie last year and it pissed down for 2 days...
16 hours in hard driving rain...MV did really,really well.
At first we were all pissed with the weather, but by the end of the second day we were loving it...it taught me to ride in the rain properly..

Only negative...it took 2 days to strip and clean the MV thoroughly !!!

Pic from rain in Tarraleah Pass, Tasmania...

Attachments

#14 ·
Velocemoto said:
Wow...amazing.

We did a tour of Tassie last year and it pissed down for 2 days...
16 hours in hard driving rain...MV did really,really well.
At first we were all pissed with the weather, but by the end of the second day we were loving it...it taught me to ride in the rain properly..

Only negative...it took 2 days to strip and clean the MV thoroughly !!!

Pic from rain in Tarraleah Pass, Tasmania...

Veloce, its not that I don't like rain, just have another bike that Im not as fanatical about which dose the wet weather thing.
I remember my first (new) bike, (think I was 18) went to showroom to pick it up and it was sooo clean and shiney, half way home massive thunderstorm, I spent the next day with a toothbrush cleaning!!

And agree totally wet roads teach the finer point of road craft

#15 · (Edited)
agusta01 said:
Veloce, its not that I don't like rain, just have another bike that Im not as fanatical about which dose the wet weather thing.
I remember my first (new) bike, (think I was 18) went to showroom to pick it up and it was sooo clean and shiney, half way home massive thunderstorm, I spent the next day with a toothbrush cleaning!!

And agree totally wet roads teach the finer point of road craft
..I think I'm just jealous you live in sunny Queensland :conveyer:
Went to go for a ride today to my local twisties....amazing loony Easter traffic out in ubandance !!!! Turned around and came home, what a joke.
Safer in my lounge room today!

As for cleaning... Meguiar's products cost, but always seem to give the best results...

#17 ·
Velocemoto said:
..I think I'm just jealous you live in sunny Queensland :conveyer:
Went to go for a ride today to my local twisties....amazing loony Easter traffic out in ubandance !!!! Turned around and came home, what a joke.
Safer in my lounge room today!

As for cleaning... Meguiar's products cost, but always seem to give the best results...
safer and heaps warmer... melbourne weather this easter has been so cold and gloomy.

#20 ·
I use Turtle Speedwax for the fairing, WD 40 to clean the exhaust and siliconspray for the black plastic parts.

#21 ·
Steptoe said:
Apparently the Queen of England uses it on her Triumph Rocket III :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

#24 ·
Does she keep it at Balmoral then Ian? :eek:

I understand she has "Too old to die young" tattoed somewhere like Billy Connelly. :laughing: :laughing:

#26 ·
Ian, I'm going off piste on a MV forum again,but what are those big Triumphs like to ride?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.