MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been doing little things here and there on my Senna getting her the way I like it... and it seems like this number plate should be all sorts of shine and nice. So my question is, can I break out the polishing compound and treat like a soft metal and polish it, or is there more to it? Thanks guys.

v

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
You should be able to use any product you liek, but I'd first try Never Dull. It is a wadding type polishing sytem in a can. Rip off a piece, rub, wipe with a clean dry rag.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should be able to use any product you liek, but I'd first try Never Dull. It is a wadding type polishing sytem in a can. Rip off a piece, rub, wipe with a clean dry rag.
I think we used that in basic training for brass... I'll have to see if I still have some or where to get it. Worked great though. I know they have a "gold" color when new, but figured it was probably just a plating or anodized finish.

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
It may be. Never Dull won't go through an anodized surface or hurt a coated surface. It is non-abrasive. If you go lightly, it will only clean. I used it throughout my Naval time and still use it in my garage today.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've also used neverdull..Didn't work!! I suggest just leaving it alone. However if you want to get down and dirty then use a Dremel with polishing compound..I'm just leaving mine alone, It looks vintage and shows age and I like that over something thats old but the badge looks polished....a matter of taste.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like wally world has it... may make a run over to get some to try and have around... plus the night time shoppers are pretty interesting, ha ha

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've also used neverdull..Didn't work!! I suggest just leaving it alone. However if you want to get down and dirty then use a Dremel with polishing compound..I'm just leaving mine alone, It looks vintage and shows age and I like that over something thats old but the badge looks polished....a matter of taste.
hmmm... well bugger. Well to me it's way more vintage then the Senna it is on, lol. Just want it all to look the same age and the bike looks almost new.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's what I was looking for but I didn't get it. This is after I used it...and yes I also used it in USMC so I love it but didn't work this time.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
That meas the plate is probably annodized.

748"L"?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Ammo's plate looks like it's separate from the triple tree, where as mine looks like it's engraved into it... not sure how you would anodize one spot without getting the rest?

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
Curtis, the plate on your Senna is, or should be attached to a depression in the triple. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
I believe they machine an oval area in the triple and then install a plate that has adhesive on the back. There have been pictures of other Limited Editions with the Plaque uninstalled.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the more I looked at it I think your right Chuck. I didn't try to take it out, but there is a tiny space all the way around it. I took a little polishing compound on a cloth wheel on the dremel going slow, and some mother's metal polish to it and it cleaned up quite a bit. I didn't want to hit it too hard because if it is just a plate stuck in there, who know's what it's made of. I wanted to get the little dimples out, but again didn't want to take too much material off either... here is how it looks now:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its possible that the surface coating is thin on the plate and so even a light abrasive cleaner could do more harm than good, go careful.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is it worth thinking about spraying a clear coat or clear lacquer over the badge to keep it from oxidizing again?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts