MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have debris inside my tank and need a good way to clean it out before reinstalling the fuel pump. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
I just wipe mine out with clean rags,then give it a blast with the air gun to get rid of any fine grit.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any solution I can put in there. It's the stupid F3 tank which has all these crevices that I can't reach with rags. Also it's dried on grit/dirt. I was reading the denatured alcohol label which says it's a good degreaser due to high evap point so no residual and won't harm the material. However there are the swollen tanks with ethanol fuel; perhaps its from prolonged dwell time?

·
Super Moderator
24,101 Posts
The ethanol swelling is a dwelling issue. Time spent in the tank to be absorbed by the plastic. If you do a "swish-and-drain" there should be no issue. Further, you could use a long handled soft brush to aid loosening the dirt. To finish, air dry on low with a standard hair dryer.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
The ethanol swelling is a dwelling issue. Time spent in the tank to be absorbed by the plastic. If you do a "swish-and-drain" there should be no issue. Further, you could use a long handled soft brush to aid loosening the dirt. To finish, air dry on low with a standard hair dryer.
Chuck;

the brushes in a hair dryer arc......you want that around gas fumes? :drummer:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yamaha make a 2 part chemical tank solvent. You pour it in your (empty)rusty tank then fill the tank up 2/3rds with water and shake like crazy. Drain the solution/water then add the second solvent which dries it up. It's brilliant. Works like magic. Get it from any Yamaha dealer....

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Plastic tank, I'd be careful, probably just a good detergent, some cloth on a piece of wire, obviously remove the fuel pump for better access. Then rinse with clean fuel. Anything else that stays behind is the filters problem I recon.

·
Super Moderator
24,101 Posts
Chuck;

the brushes in a hair dryer arc......you want that around gas fumes? :drummer:

Nope. I want them around denatured alcohol vapor.

·
Super Moderator
24,101 Posts
Well below the explosive or ignition limit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Plastic tank, I'd be careful, probably just a good detergent, some cloth on a piece of wire, obviously remove the fuel pump for better access. Then rinse with clean fuel. Anything else that stays behind is the filters problem I recon.
Not in the US (I'm not sure what area we're talking about here anyways) - In the US they have to be metal. That solvent is fine with plastic anyways. You leave the plastic fuel pump in when you do the treatment so it can't be harmful.

If the tank in question is plastic the yes, flush it as Donsy suggests. If it's metal and has rust in it then I recommend the Yamaha product.

I used it on my buddies GSX which has been left standing for 4 years. I tried cleaning the tank manually 3 times to no avail. In the end I used this solvent and it came up like new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts