MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the black QD pipes on my F3. I recently cleaned them with some metal polish. They came out looking good but as soon as I ran the engine the areas I polished turned white and started to haze.

What do you guys suggest to clean up the matte black areas of the exhaust?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the black QD pipes on my F3. I recently cleaned them with some metal polish. They came out looking good but as soon as I ran the engine the areas I polished turned white and started to haze.

Oily rag while exhaust is cold, obviously not too oily:smoking:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a feeling the polish is now baked into the exhaust and there is nothing you can do. Oil will make them look good until you start it up again

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
WD 40 seems to be the fix-all for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I use stainless steel cleaner, in spray or wipes. The same stuff you would use to clean stainless steel appliances. WD-40 works good too, but I was always concerned that since its a solvent of sorts, it might eventually ruin the finish.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guys at QD said just soap and water. They also said not to use WD40 as it would ruin the finish. Hopefully I can get the old polish off. Seems crazy that polish that was specifically marketed as exhaust polish would bake like that. Should have got the silver pipes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Did it happen to say for use on Chrome or metallic surfaces? The only product I have seen specifically for polishing exhaust is made by Borla and it says "Quickly cuts through layers of dulling oxides to restore original finish
Adds tarnish protection
Can be used on cars, trucks, motorcycles and boats, or other household and shop cleaning projects
Cleans and polishes chrome, copper, brass, aluminum and other metallic surfaces"

I hope not but I kind of think your screwed, it`s been baked (burnt) on just like what happens to food in an overheated pan.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
Realizing that the rep said it would ruin the finish...your finish is already screwed.
That being said, use a product designed to de-grease/de-wax/and de-silicone paint prior to sanding.
It is usually called prep-wipe or pre-sanding prep or something of that nature.
These products are designed to remove surface contaminates without damaging the underlying surface.
Follow the instructions.

FWIW, water is also a solvent.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Realizing that the rep said it would ruin the finish...your finish is already screwed.
That being said, use a product designed to de-grease/de-wax/and de-silicone paint prior to sanding.
It is usually called prep-wipe or pre-sanding prep or something of that nature.
These products are designed to remove surface contaminates without damaging the underlying surface.
Follow the instructions.

FWIW, water is also a solvent.
But not something that`s been baked on at 500 degrees

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
^^^Yes, in both cases.^^^

·
Registered
418 Posts
Captain, I've held back because it's totally untried or tested other than that I've had positive result in other situation in the past. So employ at your own risk, perhaps test in an inconspicuous part of the exhaust first. It can also be damaging to the surface (even though it doesn't look it).

Melamine foam - also called Magic Eraser which you should be able to get from the cleaning department of supermarket might just do the job. I've used it to get stains out of burnt stainless and just about everything else that's really hard to clean. Just wet the foam with water and lightly buff, it works at microscopic level and the instant result might be too encouraging (whilst the delayed result might be deleterious), so test run with hot exhaust a few times before doing the whole pipe.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Thanks all. Luckily they are not too conspicuous but I will try my best. I also thought oven cleaner might work?
Your exhaust is matte because there is a finish on it. Any type of metal cleaner has abrasives in it which will turn your matte to shiny and/or remove it all together. And a metal polish will make matte shiny...eventually. Likely, since it is exhaust, it has an enamel baked on or something similar. Oven cleaner could work but testing it in a place that can't be seen would be prudent. The best cleaner is for anything that is not too greasy is soap, water, a soft-ish scrub brush and elbow grease. It is also possible that whatever the issue is, it won't come off no matter what you do. The heat of exhaust tends to bake on the dirt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Reviving this thread, as the used F3 I bought has this on the inside of the pipes and I'd love to clean it up.

Oily rag while exhaust is cold, obviously not too oily:smoking:
Can this be solved with your method? Oily using what oil??

I use stainless steel cleaner, in spray or wipes. The same stuff you would use to clean stainless steel appliances. WD-40 works good too, but I was always concerned that since its a solvent of sorts, it might eventually ruin the finish.
Can you please tell me which stainless steel cleaner has worked for you? I've never used the stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Your exhaust is matte because there is a finish on it. Any type of metal cleaner has abrasives in it which will turn your matte to shiny and/or remove it all together. And a metal polish will make matte shiny...eventually. Likely, since it is exhaust, it has an enamel baked on or something similar. Oven cleaner could work but testing it in a place that can't be seen would be prudent. The best cleaner is for anything that is not too greasy is soap, water, a soft-ish scrub brush and elbow grease. It is also possible that whatever the issue is, it won't come off no matter what you do. The heat of exhaust tends to bake on the dirt.
If those are uncoated stainless steel then I would use Bar Keepers Friend. Don't use anything abrasive with it like a scouring pad. Just a soft sponge and elbow grease will get them clean. And scrub with the grain of the steel. Try a spot on the tire side and see what happens. If it looks good, you're golden. If they have any type of protective coating then you are probably SOL short of having them stripped and re-coated.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
If you do use Bar Keepers Friend, make sure to rinse it all off thoroughly prior to running the bike...or it will haze again.

The Carbon Fiber has to be re-cleared.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The Carbon Fiber has to be re-cleared.
Is it worth a try with Farécla G3:
before committing to a recoat? I mean your not really loosing much except the cost of the product, which is rather handy to have around for scuffed/scratched/stone chipped paint work and scratched plastic. It doesn't need an electric polisher to apply, I have had good results with just elbow grease.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
There are deep scratches and chips in that clear coat....polish won;t bring it back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts