MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I dont like any of the tail tidy's on the market for our bike. They all make you drill multiple holes for cable management or somehow try and hide them further down the tail and I didnt want to do that. This was my solution using my old pinch bolt and the appropriately sized sleeve. I'm ecstatic and I thought I would share! Besides who wouldn't want to get rid of that massively heavy rear plate holder?

1st step was to drill a pilot hole with about as small a drill bit that you can find. Drill it in the center of the square. Also very important to drill the hole so that it follows the shape of the tail section. When your looking down the top of the drill (like through the site of a gun) it should be in line with the edge rear tire. Shoot for that and it will be perfectly in line and will allow the head of the pinch bolt and the sleeve to sit flush.

2nd grind down the square to be flush with the metal around it. This insures the whole assembly sits flush and allows for more clearence for the tail light.

3rd drill out your hole completely to be the exact same size as the outer diameter of the pinch bolt.

4th grind down the head of the pinch bolt completely or at an angle. If you grind it down completely it's hard to grab it or put an allen in the hole to tighten it. Also you want some meat on the head of the bolt so it doesn't break.

5th push a wire sleeve through the pinch bolt then run your wires (22-24 guage only!)

6th figure out your cable management options. You can put a Deutsch plug on and pin every wire like I did or find a different solution that works for you. You could solder or use butt connectors. It's up to you. I chose a plug because its cleaner and water tight.

• Red with black stripe is right signal
  • Sky blue is left signal
  • Brown with black stripe is for the licence plate light

All dark Blue wires are ground. It does not matter what ground you choose to attach to its corresponding positive signal wire.

7th pick your favorite plate holder and figure out where your going to put the turn signals. I had a R&G tail tidy bracket that I just turned upside down. Then I drilled 3/4in holes in my plate for the signals. Maybe this is illegal in your area of the world I dont know but for me it's fine. I wanted the least amount of things sticking out to help with removal and installing the panniers.

8th Find two nuts and the right length sleeve to hold it all together. I didnt go out and buy anything and you could make it allot lighter and cleaner if you went with TI or Alluminum everything.

9th paint black! And hide the wires on the back side of your plate as best you can using zip ties or wherever you think looks best.

10th get some shorter titanium pinch bolts, they look better and make it so you dont have to run spacers.

I tell you what, there is so much room! I dont even come close to hitting the plate. I'm very happy. Maybe someone else would like to do the same so that's why I went more in depth. It took about 2 weeks to get it to the place where it is with just things I had lying around my garage. You can pick and choose how you accomplish the same result if you like how clean it looks.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
21,088 Posts
Nicely done !!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
do you cover your license plate up when you ride?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you cover your license plate up when you ride?
No I cover it up just because someone can look up your address by knowing your license plate number and I don't like everyone on the internet knowing where I live.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
I don’t believe anyone had access to address info from a plate number...unless you are law enforcement.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Good job.
—just hope your frame/mount location doesn’t bend if the post is hit or pulled upon.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could remove the top nut and just have one nut from underneath to make it cleaner. I just like how solid it is.

@Edward anything could happen to any style tail tidy. My solution is actually really solid. Those pinch bolts are strong then you have a sleeve pressing from the other direction. You could literally stand on it.

@silentservice703 it's a wife thing. I dont mind as much as she does. But I think it's a good idea and it doesn't take any time to do it. Win win in marriage lol

Reactions: Edward

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I could make you one. :)

I have a spare pitch bolt left over. I could also have my neighbor cut out some Stainless Steel licence plate brackets on his CNC plasma cutter. That way you wouldn't have to order a separate plate holder. Then you would just have to tell me what turn signals you would like to use and I could make the room in the plate holder and either powder coat it or paint it.

Would you want me to make you a new harness aswell?

If your really wanted to go fancy we could use a titanium pinch bolt. Just message me what your thinking and I'll try to make it happen.

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anybody else want me to make a kit?

I'm going to need more pinch bolts if anyone has their old ones lying around and doesn't want them anymore message me.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I could make you one. :)

I have a spare pitch bolt left over. I could also have my neighbor cut out some Stainless Steel licence plate brackets on his CNC plasma cutter. That way you wouldn't have to order a separate plate holder. Then you would just have to tell me what turn signals you would like to use and I could make the room in the plate holder and either powder coat it or paint it.

Would you want me to make you a new harness aswell?

If your really wanted to go fancy we could use a titanium pinch bolt. Just message me what your thinking and I'll try to make it happen.

I have the RC Model so Black would be the color. Titanium is always good. Can the plate holder be done so the turn signals come off the side?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the RC Model so Black would be the color. Titanium is always good. Can the plate holder be done so the turn signals come off the side?
Yeah i can make them however you or anyone else wants them. I'll sketch up some ideas and see what you like. The only problem with coming off the side of the plate is your getting closer to the Panniers. I like the idea of underneath or on top the licence plate. That way you can slide them on and off without having to worry about hitting the blinker.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sorry about this but: before you make kits for others to install.
I think it would be wise to test the design for a few thousand miles.
To make sure that vibration does not break the "central flange" (as MV calls it) that the tidy stalk is attached to.
It would really suck if the flange broke and the dangling pieces caused a crash...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate your concern! Yes that is the last thing any of us would want and is the worst case scenario.

What part in particular and at what point are you concerned with? Just curious because there are quite a few people on here that have drilled 2-4 holes in that same area with no reports of problems...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I appreciate your concern! Yes that is the last thing any of us would want and is the worst case scenario.

What part in particular and at what point are you concerned with? Just curious because there are quite a few people on here that have drilled 2-4 holes in that same area with no reports of problems...

The large size of the drilled hole, the length of the bolt with the number plate & signals on the end.
I envision a sympathetic vibration trying to wag the stuff on the end of the bolt and it going back up the bolt and fracturing the central flange.
The install is probably fine. Just my corporate auto paranoia kicking in.
Next time you have the bike running. Observe the number plate while reving the engine, if the numbers blur, it could be a problem.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probolt sells titanium engine mount bolts that are drilled. Not sure if they are long enough
The OEM 80mm pinch bolts are a very good length. It puts the plate down enough to be out of the way. With the stock bolt there is around an inch and a half from the corner of the plate to the side of the bag. If you wanted to use an aftermarket TI bolt they are generally all shorter. It's totally up to you.

I have some of these that are really bright. They could be mounted under or on top. Rizoma makes some but they are $70 per light!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For the ones who are concerned about vibration I will look into how I could implement some sort of bushing while still clearing the tail light. It's very tight and I don't necessarily think that it needs it but I'll look into it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts