MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not really paid it much attention since I haven't sold anything but having posted a classified for a friend it occurs to me that it is a regular practice on this forum to comment on people's prices. Other forums I'm on prohibit this sort of bad behaviour. I think those sorts of words lack the class I'd hope the group would uphold.

It seems to me if a potential buyer is curious about pricing he can post in an appropriate place asking other owners about their opinion?

It also seems to me that if the seller is way out of line a PM may be more appropriate so they can place their sale in the best light. Of course if a seller directly solicits pricing comments then it should be done.

Also if something seems out of place, fraudulent or misrepresentative then perhaps a PM to admin and/or the owner is in order before commenting on the open forum.

·
Registered
398 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
censorship? wtf are you talking about?!

it's about etiqutte. if someone decides to put up an item for sale, and it's 10X what you just paid for it, it's not your place to say "that's way too much! i just paid ......!!"

i'm with james.

Caveat emptor!

alex

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I couldn't disagree more. One of the nice things about this forum is that is a free and open exchange of ideas. Price your sale item where you will. If it is too high you will hear about it. If it is cheap you will know that too.
I find it very helpful when shopping for a bike to hear from people all over the country. If you were buying a bike wouldn't you want to know if there is a similar one priced thousands less elsewhere? Conversely, as a seller if my bike is cheap it is nice to read the comments such as "beautiful bike, you won't have trouble selling it at that price" Very rarely is any one here rude. Even if you are smoking crack, most posts politely state the price is a little high.

CAG

·
Registered
720 Posts
JamesC said:
I've not really paid it much attention since I haven't sold anything but having posted a classified for a friend it occurs to me that it is a regular practice on this forum to comment on people's prices. Other forums I'm on prohibit this sort of bad behaviour. I think those sorts of words lack the class I'd hope the group would uphold.

It seems to me if a potential buyer is curious about pricing he can post in an appropriate place asking other owners about their opinion?

It also seems to me that if the seller is way out of line a PM may be more appropriate so they can place their sale in the best light. Of course if a seller directly solicits pricing comments then it should be done.

Also if something seems out of place, fraudulent or misrepresentative then perhaps a PM to admin and/or the owner is in order before commenting on the open forum.
I COULDN´T AGREE MORE!!! :smoking: :yo: ++1

·
Registered
822 Posts
While I see your point, I disagree.

If the seller is ignorant enought to post an overly inflated price, directly to his target audience, he's asking to be called out. Welcome to capitalism! If anyone is going to know the current pricing, its the people on the board in question. Inflated prices at such a niche audience is insulting, and I am not advocating belittling the seller, but why should we as a buyer be silenced?

If the seller wants to get the most out of their sale, they need to be smart about it. Dont even post a price, just the availabilty of your item, and wait for the offers. Get a feel for the current market value of the item, along with what a new one costs. If you post a price, I would almost expect to be ridiculed, thats the wonderful world of sales, especially with such an educated group of consumers.

·
Registered
822 Posts
JamesC said:
This isn't a sales group or ebay it's an enthusiast group of 'friends'.
Again, I understand your point to the fullest, but you know just as well as I do that in matters of money, friendships, especially pseudo internet ones, evaporate almost instantly.

If one of my real friends offered me the first crack at a motorcycle he was selling, and then dropped a rediculous price tag on me you can bet your ass that I would tell him to shove it. If he was a good friend, he would know what he did wrong, and not get bent out of shape about it. And if not, well, it goes right back to the dollar bill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
JamesC said:
This isn't a sales group or ebay it's an enthusiast group of 'friends'.
But for some of us morans who does not know the value of an item it's nice to have someone commenting the value so we dont get cheated by our "friends". :baddeal:

Of course theres no reason to be rude when commenting high pricing.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
If you are buying anything from a washing machine to a bike to a house, it is foolhardy not to do some research into what kind of money you might expect to have to pay. :blah: As for the seller, they can ask what the hell they want IMO. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, whether it's a Tamburini F4 or the Mona Lisa. If a seller wants to post an inflated price for their goods thats entirely their choice, just don't expect a quick sale. :jsm: We all wish for top dollar when selling stuff it's just a case of being realistic if you want to exchange your item for the folding stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts