MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Choke

What's everybody's opinion on using the choke when starting ? Yes, No, Temperature, ect.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
I park in a heated garage but sometimes in the dead of winter (I ride all year round), I use the lever instead of holding the throttle slightly open for the minute or two that is necessary. Meaning the garage is not always heated to the MV's expectations.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Although I think the average MV owner will know its not an acual Choke. I would say the word "choke" as a description is the easiest way to describe the little lever. I think most of us call it this.
Out of the choice of " a little cam that turns/opens you throttle a bit for you" or a 'choke" as the description, I chose "choke" :yo:
Brando

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
It is a "Fast Idle Lever".....a lot of EFI bikes used to have this in one form or another, but with the advent of ECU controlled "idle air circuits" or "throttle by wire" systems, they are kind of old tech.

I use mine when it is cold, just to give the ECU a moment to adjust the fuel map for the air temperature, otherwise the engine wants to stall. When really cold outside about 10 seconds is the max. Most times just a few seconds. That's all the ECU controlled fast idle settings do too.

Well, that was post # 10,001. I was saving it for something truly worthwhile. Another failure...:lightning

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Interestingly enough, Lee Halverson used a MV fast idle "choke lever" on the Green Monster, and it works exactly as it should. The man was a mechanical genius.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
wtf?

Isn't the ecm supposed to do that shit for you? They couldn't just increase the idle till temp is satisfied? I mean really? It's 2013 for God's sake.
hey Aric;
my 2003 built Aprilia RSVR has an IAC stepper motor to control idle speed
the TPS position is set at key on by the ECU

"It's 2013 for God's sake", yes, you're right :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've often wondered at the point of it. I've turned it on a few times but couldn't disern any notable change in the Brutes idle, so I gave up on it. Sitting in 4 degree temps it still starts just fine without it. Always figured with the little rev control between idle and 2500 that the little cam lever just wasn't cutting it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
hey Aric;
my 2003 built Aprilia RSVR has an IAC stepper motor to control idle speed
the TPS position is set at key on by the ECU

"It's 2013 for God's sake", yes, you're right :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
If I remember correctly my 2001 Honda 929rr didn't even have a "choke" I never used mine on my mvs. I would just blip the throttle a time or 2 till idle was stable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've often wondered at the point of it. I've turned it on a few times but couldn't disern any notable change in the Brutes idle, so I gave up on it. Sitting in 4 degree temps it still starts just fine without it. Always figured with the little rev control between idle and 2500 that the little cam lever just wasn't cutting it.
This is the same situation I have. That's way I asked for input. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Reckler, if the lever doesn't raise your rpms then your cables are too slack.

The ECU corrects for air temps and coolant temps almost immediately making the use of a fast idle system mostly unnecessary....If you really need it to keep the engine running when cold then the idle speed is probably too low and the bike needs some tuning.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Sorry I’m a little late to this thread. I learned the hard way about the “choke lever” on EFI bikes. On early fuel injected Ducatis it operated an enricher circuit. What people failed to tell me was unlike carburetor models you never move the lever until after turning the key to the on position and letting the ECU do it’s thing. On cold start I would just twist the choke to full on and then turn the key and thumb the starter like I do with my old 900 SS FE. Of course what happens is that when the key is first turned on the ECU goes through a series of tests. One of which is to look at the TPS and register it’s position as idle. What I was doing gave the ECU a false idle position. So after the bike warmed up and the choke was off the TPS would be in a negative position at idle. The bottom line was, when the RPMs dropped below that magic limit the the ECU would think, “oh, usea donz needza no more fuel” and the engine would die. DOH!:jsm:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Reckler, if the lever doesn't raise your rpms then your cables are too slack.

The ECU corrects for air temps and coolant temps almost immediately making the use of a fast idle system mostly unnecessary....If you really need it to keep the engine running when cold then the idle speed is probably too low and the bike needs some tuning.
I'll check the cables to make sure they're not too slack. Definitely no lack in response, but can't hurt to be sure. Thanks for the advice :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Isn't the idea to warm up the Cat quickly..?

and Brando..You need to be much more precise than calling it a choke lever. Everyone knows it's called the "Throttle thingy" haha

joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Well even in the maintenance schedule the little lever is referred to as a choke.

So it's a hot day and/or the bikes engine is hot. No need to use the choke is there ?

Or, is there ?

The lever doesn't operate a choke as such it opens the throttle butterflys a touch. I'm sure the ecu gurus can advise on the sequence at start up but as there is slow starter motor rotation of the crank the ecu knows it is in start up phase and fuel is sprayed in at the correct time and duration. If you don't operate the choke lever surely the mixture is incorrect at start up as the butterflys are all shut,,? and the TPS position is wrong for start up.

So wot I'm saying is that to get the correct fuel air mix at start up the choke should always be opened..Otherwise you are starting the engine over rich ?

Open and inviting criticism and other takes on this..

joe

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Well... I not would know, so I can only tell what my experience is.
The fact is that in 11 years of MV ownership I never used it... Till very recent.
What happened recently is that I installed an MV Corse ECU and since then the starting with cold engine is a bit more difficult. I noticed when I use the 'choke' that it goes easier. I don't notice any difference in throttle or whatsoever using it or not using it. So I would say that the ECU knows you used it as long you did it when your contact was on. I am just assuming that. :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts