MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My path to almost-ownership of a bouncing baby immaculate 2007 F4 1000R is a bit curious. And, at this writing, I have yet to pull the trigger, though it's in my garage for safekeeping. Read on, I think you'll like the tale.

THE PAST: Sportbikes since 1987, mopeds and scooters prior. Somehow, I survived sportbikes as a late-teen. Back then, we thought 60hp was a lot for a middleweight! I wouldn't hazard a guess if middleweights and literbikes kill off the unwary with even-scarier precision these days vs. then...they killed off plenty back then.

In the 1990s, I raced with AFM in California (1995-1997 seasons). Track schools before, from 1993 (first on a 1990 Ducati 851!). Bay Area resident, at the time, and those from other parts of the U.S. (or anywhere else) with great roads know how tempting street riding "with gusto" can be. I'd spent a few too many years scraping hard parts on the street, prior to racing several ancient Ninja 600s and a then-contemporary Gixxer 750. All to good effect.

THE PRESENT: I've lived in Seattle WA (USA) many years. In 2010, I consolidated bikes to a then new-model Ducati Multistrada (MTS 1200): a bike that really does handle "most" situations "well," which means it handles none excellently. A fine bike in most respects and will continue to grace my stable until further notice.

Since racing, I'm back on the street and occasional track days, though last of the latter would have been 2007 or so. Last dedicated track bike was the then all-new 2003 Kawasaki ZX636B, middleweight trying to be a 750 and not...quite...making it. Sold that c. 2007, after a lot of track days at both Seattle and Portland (and one at Thunder Hill in CA).

THE FUTURE: a close pal I've known since 2002 moved his near-pristine '07 MV into my garage only several months ago. For reasons a bit obtuse, it's seldom if-ever been ridden since 2011. Even to that point, from new, it seldom saw daylight. He's a guy with deep pockets, a few quirks, and great heart.

I replaced the battery and ran it out a bit today for the first time in my custody, after marking sure the tires were properly inflated: mileage is 1,540 (!). Needed the cobwebs blown out, and I freshened the gas. It's fine.

Circumstances compel the owner to sell soon. His price is more-than-fair (the "friend price") so I see few reasons not to buy it and am leaning that way, bad pun intended. I have room in the stable.

And, what will this bring me: couple possibilities, most likely a combination:

1) Show bike! Self explanatory. Strutting around for special events and little else.

2) Mount up some slicks, turn some (moderately) fast laps at the local track schools. Probably demoting myself to the slow-bie group. While fun, I'd be *very* tempted to smoke it to the filter and beat my own lap time from c. 2004. I know how I am!

3) Just stare at it, in my living room (eventually, sans fuel and oil). See item 1).

We shall see, indeed. Thanks for reading. More to come, perhaps...

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The bike can fulfill 1, 2 and 3 and this superbly.
I ride an F4 since 2000 and I love the bike more than ever.
Just since last December she has to share her place with a Brutale.
So go with it the Multitool will get the spiderwebs soon.

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
Great first post and welcome to the forum.Buy it,ride it and enjoy.:)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Superb first post!
Welcome.
Enjoy the madness that this forum can inspire, and....

BUY THE BIKE!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I live north of Seattle, just south of the Canadian border and bought my '07 F4 several years ago from Las Vegas. Flew down, handed over the check and rode home: 1500 miles over 4 days. First time ever on an MV, or any other ultra-high performance bike! I have vintage Sportsters, Honda CBX, GB500, etc. that I enjoy but nothing like an MV. So, to my point....

There are magnificent mountain roads here in the PNW that are begging you to take the F4 out for the day. Don't buy the bike from your friend just so it can sit in the garage until a track day or show comes up. Plenty of time during the long winter to sit back and admire the Italian artwork. But, when the sun shines on those long summer days, hit the road and enjoy the scenery. There's nothing like a run over the North Cascades Hwy on a warm, sunny day.

Eric

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Welcome and YES buy it!!

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Very interesting read - thanks for taking the time to write that up.

My only observation of the bike is that this is a dual seat version (biposto). The rear pegs appear to have been removed from the subframe. You may have them or the current owner may have them. In any case, if you choose to buy the bike them I'd suggest confirming that they come with the bike.

·
Administrator
19,521 Posts
Love the White and Black F4s....welcome to the family !!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This bike was a boondoggle for my buddy. He and I do things like that, sort of one-upmanship over the years, definitely a First World Problem. We're both riders, don't get me wrong: he and I were track buddies for years, he tracked an RC51 and then a 600RR. Both cutting edge when he got them. He's run some of the tracks Down Under, too, like Philip Island. I've been up and down U.S. West Coast tracks, last twenty years.

The MV F4 1000R is (was) a lark, to everyone involved including me. To another fellow's point, yes the rear pegs are off. I'm sure I'll get all that if I buy it. I trust this guy and would hand him a stack of hundred dollar bills tomorrow if he needed the money that badly.

Regardless, I still haven't bought it, I may or may not take a loan to myself and do so. Paying me back with interest :idea: . There isn't a hurry, until and if there is (i.e., if he needs the money due to ...well, if he needs the money quickly!)

Replaced the battery, it's been on a tender since. Fired it up: started on basically the first 2 seconds of crank, not surprisingly I suppose but I was definitely impressed. Warmed up, cleared cobwebs, rode it a bit, wondered what was wonky, pulled back in the driveway and filled tires to proper inflation :flash: . Put a gallon of super unleaded in a near-dry tank after driving through back streets a mile or two. Nothing wonky in the FI or how it runs; owner may have added Sta-Bil to the gas when I suggested he do-so a few years ago.

In the end, however, I'm not sure I have the superbike bug anymore. This is as I said: a lark, an immaculate, slighly quirky, obviously well-built MV Augusta that was twenty two thousand bucks new in 2007. Hell, my Multi was "only" twenty K (in 2010). That's got 15.5K miles on it, ridden from British Columbia to SoCal and everywhere in between. Really, I'm pondering: with a whoppin' 1,545 miles on the ODO, what...on...Earth would I actually do with this MV?

I have a car these days that is motorcycle-fast when on-boost and above a buck-twenty or so mph, though I haven't tracked it (cough cough). A supercar, guess you could say. I may have to kick my own (rear), but some of the fun of bikes has dissipated since I bought said-car end of 2011: it does much of the fun motorcycle stuff, with AWD and heated seats! Hellaciously more expensive to run, of course. First World Problem number three or four of this thread :king:.

Hmm.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I came about mine in a similar circumstance. DO IT!

It can do all of those things. Just showing up dirty makes it a show bike. People marvel at its style and rarity even if its covered in bugs. Take it out and rode it like you stole it. Then wipe it down and pull it into the living room as a decoration.

You have a daily beater so it would work for all 3. If you get it for a song why not. Even without the superbike bug its still plenty enjoyable as a powerful piece of art.

The funny thing is I went the opposite. I had a track-car until I bought the bike, then I found the car boring and sold it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
doooooooo it! These bikes are getting more and more rare, with low miles. I would jump on it. I just did the same. white/black combo with low miles. NO regrets!

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
This bike was a boondoggle for my buddy. He and I do things like that, sort of one-upmanship over the years, definitely a First World Problem. We're both riders, don't get me wrong: he and I were track buddies for years, he tracked an RC51 and then a 600RR. Both cutting edge when he got them. He's run some of the tracks Down Under, too, like Philip Island. I've been up and down U.S. West Coast tracks, last twenty years.

The MV F4 1000R is (was) a lark, to everyone involved including me. To another fellow's point, yes the rear pegs are off. I'm sure I'll get all that if I buy it. I trust this guy and would hand him a stack of hundred dollar bills tomorrow if he needed the money that badly.

Regardless, I still haven't bought it, I may or may not take a loan to myself and do so. Paying me back with interest :idea: . There isn't a hurry, until and if there is (i.e., if he needs the money due to ...well, if he needs the money quickly!)

Replaced the battery, it's been on a tender since. Fired it up: started on basically the first 2 seconds of crank, not surprisingly I suppose but I was definitely impressed. Warmed up, cleared cobwebs, rode it a bit, wondered what was wonky, pulled back in the driveway and filled tires to proper inflation :flash: . Put a gallon of super unleaded in a near-dry tank after driving through back streets a mile or two. Nothing wonky in the FI or how it runs; owner may have added Sta-Bil to the gas when I suggested he do-so a few years ago.

In the end, however, I'm not sure I have the superbike bug anymore. This is as I said: a lark, an immaculate, slighly quirky, obviously well-built MV Augusta that was twenty two thousand bucks new in 2007. Hell, my Multi was "only" twenty K (in 2010). That's got 15.5K miles on it, ridden from British Columbia to SoCal and everywhere in between. Really, I'm pondering: with a whoppin' 1,545 miles on the ODO, what...on...Earth would I actually do with this MV?

I have a car these days that is motorcycle-fast when on-boost and above a buck-twenty or so mph, though I haven't tracked it (cough cough). A supercar, guess you could say. I may have to kick my own (rear), but some of the fun of bikes has dissipated since I bought said-car end of 2011: it does much of the fun motorcycle stuff, with AWD and heated seats! Hellaciously more expensive to run, of course. First World Problem number three or four of this thread :king:.

Hmm.
If yu decide not to buy it let me know and I might

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ryan & others. I am coming to terms with the self-indulgence of all this. Might call it White Man's Guilt, which I'll try to get over :violin: My point being that toys tend to breed in this single guy's garage, in a cycle (bad pun), whereby every 5-10 years I scream "enough!" and sell 3/4 of it at-discount just to clean up the place.

Yeah, my stable includes the aforementioned bikes and car, plus workhorse Tacoma XRunner truck with supercharger (TRD) nearing 100K miles on the odo as my DD. I really shouldn't spend the money on a GT3 RS or similar track car...getting into all that takes "expensive" to a whole new level.

Russian woman I dated awhile had expensive tastes, too. Her comment, when I complained some years ago, was: "Blondie (me), no such thing as 'too expensive.' Only, 'insufficient income!'"

We'll see, this MV saga may drag on through the winter. I'll do very little riding between c. Nov 1 and May 1. Some die-hards here do anyway; mostly BMW guys who make my rare distance and Iron Butt rides look tame in terms of endurance. So there may be time to reflect, unless my buddy needs the cash. This is sort of 'bank' for him, a warm-dry-secure place for his ride during turbulent times.

And yes, if I do decide to sell it for my buddy in some sort of in-person transaction, that will be another discussion and this forum will be stop No. 1. At some point, this bike is going to become one of those rather-weird near museum pieces: I'll run it often to keep the fluids flowing.

For the car guys out there, starting to remind me of a pristine, crazy low-miles Porsche 911 GT3 997.1 (2007) that came up for sale locally in Seattle a few months ago: flawless condition, but more of a collector car than runner in my opinion. Very rare in that condition, that one (and this bike).

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts