MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just posting this by way of a 'heads up'...

Today I got the chance to have a little time to work on the Brutale regarding a couple of issues I'd mentioned here
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41723
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113913

So I decided to take out and clean the air filter....and while I was at it also take out and inspect/replace the spark plugs.

Due to the limited access to removal you need a couple of 'knuckle' joints...a couple of extension bars..,a plug socket and a ratchet handle..., all in 3/8" drive.

All was going well as usual until while I had undone the last spark plug and was in the process of extracting it that.....one of my 'Knuckle' joints came apart and I heard a little 'Tinkle' of the bolt and tiny spring holding it together as they disappeared!!!!!!!:jsm::jsm:

You know when you get that sick and panicky feeling hoping that 'something' METAL hasn't gone down the plug hole into the engine??.

Well franticly I searched every crevice and gave thanks to the Lord when I finally found them on the carpet below the bike.........but what IF???:bawling:

It just shows that you can never be too careful (the threads in the bolt of the Knuckle had stripped)

It was a Draper Expert one.

Compared it to my other Stanley one which is riveted..this is I believe a real flaw in design and could have resulted in a disaster for me during routine maintenance.
Thankfully it was just a real scare with a good outcome........I'll never purchase one of these again!
Brian:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Yikes! Talk about seconds from disaster mate! Glad you found the stray pieces on the floor and not in your engine!!

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
ooooh ..Good save there Brian.

I have a thin wall plug wrench ( box spanner ) in my tool kit...I've seen those knuckle fasteners give up the ghost on a number of occasions..

joe

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys..., yes there was an Angel on my shoulder there.

Very fortunate that it was the 'knuckle' on the extension bar 'above' the rocker cover and not the one directly fitted into the plug socket that was deep into the cylinder head!!!:jsm:

Still when something like this happens your blood runs cold until it's found OUTSIDE of the engine!

Of course I'm gonna buy a new one..... but NOT one made like this ever again.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Thanks guys..., yes there was an Angel on my shoulder there.

Very fortunate that it was the 'knuckle' on the extension bar 'above' the rocker cover and not the one directly fitted into the plug socket that was deep into the cylinder head!!!:jsm:

Still when something like this happens your blood runs cold until it's found OUTSIDE of the engine!

Of course I'm gonna buy a new one..... but NOT one made like this ever again.

Just use a box spanner Brian..:)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Shit, it doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if you hadn't found the wee buggers, a top end strip down at least?:cussing:

Dave.
I would have tried a telescopic magnet thing through the spark plug hole, because I would bet on that all the little parts are magnetic.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have tried a telescopic magnet thing through the spark plug hole, because I would bet on that all the little parts are magnetic.
Yes Ralph..., that is what Was going through my mind...., and I was going to use one of those.

When I saw the knuckle had came apart I initially thought it's 'makeup' included a ball bearing!
And was wondering where had THAT gone???.

I dismantled the remainder of the knuckel and was relieved to see that it was only a 'bolt and spring' and I'd found those.

But if I had'nt found them I could have only convinced myself they were down the spark plug hole and it would have been very difficult to know for sure as it is impossible to see down there.

Imagine stripping the engine and THEN finding them resting somewhere else!!!.:jsm:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A probe camera may be worth the money. Lets you look in the cylinders prior to tearing the engine apart.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
A probe camera may be worth the money. Lets you look in the cylinders prior to tearing the engine apart.
That is also a cool idea.
I never thought of it since I'm old school and never had such thing in my tool box.
Well technology is marching on.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
my spark plug wrenches are SnapOns......

I don't have to deal with that crap

:drummer:
Absolutely......I've a few cheap tools (Craftsman, etc.) and a few top flight tools (SnapOn, Mac). It took me a while to realize it, but high quality tools are worth the cost (at least double).

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Lucky break right there Brian.
FWIW, I bought a camera with a 8mm and 12mm interchangeable lens head for under $100, and it works great, you'll be surprised how often you use it, just because you can.

Stahwille, Warren and Brown, Kraftwerke, Nipex and Gedore has always been my first choice with some Wera bits here and there.
In South Africa the European manufactured tools where a big thing if you wanted quality, over here in West Aus, SnapOn and Sidchrome seem to be pushed very hard.
Milwaukee for Cordless Electrical and most corded gear too, used to be DeWald but their product's gone cheap and nasty over the last couple of years, that's what the apprentice get's to use.

I see SnapOn is sourcing out a lot of their manufacturing to China which is not a good thing for metal tool manufacturing in my opinion.

We used to get some really good screwdrivers and pliers etc from Stanley in the 80's but they turned to shit somewhere along the way, and I must admit, I was quite impressed with some of the motorcycle related tools I got for myself and a mate from Motion Pro, some great pullers and Allen Key tools.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
When I was in the construction industry (38 years) as a professional Joiner and Carpenter...I bought the BEST tools for my 'profession'.
I was using them EVERY day...constantly.
Although expensive...,it went without saying that those were what 'Professional tradesmen' used.

Nothing is foolproof though ..and even the very best when being used on a constant and continuous basis have had their limitations.

I've seen £200 titanium claw hammer shafts and claws snap in my time.

I'm not a professional motorcycle mechanic though............but I 'like' good tools.
I buy what I can afford...and justify.

Like everyone else we'd all like the 'best'.....but as I'm just a 'tinkerer' I'll settle for 2n'd best.

A professional on the other hand.............would not.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Hhhmmm, tools are a bit like MAN jewellery to me Brian, one can never have too much, much to Liesl's dismay.
What an awesome idea Donsy. You could make a nice little neck chain of ring spanners, Earings outof sockets and maybe a tattoo of F4 torque values to finish off that certain " man abput the garage" look !

1 - 20 of 47 Posts