MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my F4 back from the shop yesterday after 1st service, and I was taking it for a ride this morning to see if the occasional low-speed stalling issue was fixed. I'd ridden the bike home in rush hour traffic yesterday, a distance of about 18 miles, so it wasn't a long enough ride for a thorough shakedown. I left this morning just after 7:00, and about 8 miles from home the engine lost power while I was on the highway cruising about 70. When I looked down I felt something wet on my right knee and notice something spraying out of the right side of the bike. My first thought was a radiator leak, but quickly realized this stiff was cool, not hot. Long story short, by the time I got to the shoulder and shut the bike off, I fully realized this was fuel. I was really fortunate there was no spark to ignite it, and I duly thanked God for this. Somebody was looking out for me this morning. :angel:

I called a friend who has a trailer, and we hauled the bike back to the shop. The tech spotted the problem almost immediately. The right-hand quick-disconnect had worked loose from the injector feed tube. It did not come completely off, just loosened. The connector is one that you'd ordinarily never have to remove for normal servicing, so it's quite possibly it was never fully engaged when the engine was assembled. I don't know if others have run into this problem or not, but I would like to know if this has occurred on anyone else's bike.

This is not the plastic fuel-tank connector, and it looks quite different in the pictures. I would probably be inclined to replace these with automotive-style compression fittings - the kind that need a wrench to loosen - if any are available. If anyone has info about such replacements, please post the links.

Ciao,
John

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had the fuel lines pop off and split inside the tank on my F4 and Ducati 748. It's worth it to replace the INSIDE w/ S/S hose. Having your bike quit on the side of the road isn't as bad as bursting into flames... but it still sucks.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Way back in 2003, I wanted to take the tank off my 750. Long story short, it cost me a 90 trailer ride down to Tuscon (Renaissance). When I found out about my crushed coupling, it was because fuel was dripping down from a hot engine to the cement.

Steve told me it's best to have two people present when installing the tank so one can act as a spotter.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
there are two quick connects on the F4 1000 fuel lines - one at the tank end and the other at the fuel injector rail. both the feed and return lines have 2 connectors.

the connector at the tank end is the colder products item - it's the same as the 750.

the connector at the fuel injector rail is from john guest.

i've been having some difficulty sourcing the john guest connetors, but i'm still working on it. may have to contact the company in england, as the US side has left me with a dead end.

btw, the fuel line for the 1000 is also unique. it's a two-part construction. the outter tube is a flexible soft rubbery material (trade name sunprene), while the inner core is a very stiff teflon-based tube.

alex

·
Registered
803 Posts
Altoon, any update on sourcing the John Guest quick-connects?

Has anyone though about using the barbed ends on the older bikes frame rails?

altoon said:
there are two quick connects on the F4 1000 fuel lines - one at the tank end and the other at the fuel injector rail. both the feed and return lines have 2 connectors.

the connector at the tank end is the colder products item - it's the same as the 750.

the connector at the fuel injector rail is from john guest.

i've been having some difficulty sourcing the john guest connetors, but i'm still working on it. may have to contact the company in england, as the US side has left me with a dead end.

btw, the fuel line for the 1000 is also unique. it's a two-part construction. the outter tube is a flexible soft rubbery material (trade name sunprene), while the inner core is a very stiff teflon-based tube.

alex

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have been completely stuck on getting anything from John Guest. I've tried twice, and both times I got routed to a US rep who has told me that the connector is an OEM-only item.

Not sure what else I can do at this point.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Alex

·
Registered
803 Posts
Does MV OEM just the connector without the entire fuel line?

altoon said:
I have been completely stuck on getting anything from John Guest. I've tried twice, and both times I got routed to a US rep who has told me that the connector is an OEM-only item.

Not sure what else I can do at this point.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Alex

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The quick connector at the fuel rail end is quite hard to get off, you need to push in two clips tp remove it, It is also stiff to get back on, a couple of times with mine I have pushed it on then pushed it harder and felt the "click" as it has located

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dad and I did this recently when we were fitting the Power Comander, the clips need to be pushed in as Mike said but also we fond if you push forward as well they relese easier :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts