MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your cams before the warranty is up..!

I heard MV triples were having an issue with the finish on the cams flaking off, a similar issue to the early F4's (ask me how I know), so I checked the cams on my Rivale a week before the warranty was up and sure enough the intake cam had the issue.

The exhaust cam had minor flaws, but I'm not going to worry about it.

The bike only has 3500 miles on it.

I've been using full synthetic Castrol RS 5W-40 motorcycle oil since new. First change was at 400 miles and it's been changed twice since, so a total of 3 oil/filter changes.

It's something else to check before your warranty is up. At $1000 per cam, it's not a cheap fix if you have to open your wallet..! And who knows if the next cam will be good! :wtf:

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
How are the followers? My 2013 F4RR had flaking on two of the inlet followers and the cam lobes were beginning to mark. Nothing to worry about they said, check it at the next scheduled valve clearance check.

The bike had already been in the shop for almost 3 months for a warranty job for engine noise which culminated in replacement of the cam chain, tensioner, chain guides, idler gear and shaft (which was badly worn at 8,000km).

Next morning I went back to the workshop and took photos of the cam and followers. I scarcely had time to get back to my office when I had a call to say that the had decided to order inlet cams and followers for replacement under warranty. Funny that! But only the inlet cam!

I'll take it back in a month or so to fit the inlet cam (they want me to pay for fitting!), it will have done another 6,000 km by then. And we will have a very hard look at the exhaust cam.

Tony

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
I seem to recall this subject some years ago, and MV saying not to worry? There must be prior posts to substantiate this........

·
Registered
568 Posts
How are the followers? My 2013 F4RR had flaking on two of the inlet followers and the cam lobes were beginning to mark. Nothing to worry about they said, check it at the next scheduled valve clearance check.

The bike had already been in the shop for almost 3 months for a warranty job for engine noise which culminated in replacement of the cam chain, tensioner, chain guides, idler gear and shaft (which was badly worn at 8,000km).

Next morning I went back to the workshop and took photos of the cam and followers. I scarcely had time to get back to my office when I had a call to say that the had decided to order inlet cams and followers for replacement under warranty. Funny that! But only the inlet cam!

I'll take it back in a month or so to fit the inlet cam (they want me to pay for fitting!), it will have done another 6,000 km by then. And we will have a very hard look at the exhaust cam.

Tony
Why do they want you to pay for fitting when it's a warranty job? Sounds a bit rich to me!

·
Registered
42 Posts
New here, but registered because I just ordered a 800RR dragster.

Whan kind of springs are in there ?

I've had cams go this on Subaru race engines. Upgraded springs would cause wear on the cams. ( But allow for higher revs. )

Can the valve covers be taken off in place ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apart from how they look are there any symptoms - noise, adjustment issues etc.
Nope. Bike still ran perfect.

The flaking lobes felt rough, I could easily catch my finger nail on the edge where they started flaking.

I'm sure I caught it early enough to where it wasn't affecting the running.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
That's strange. I wonder why MV is warrantying the cams then...?
Must be worse on the new bikes mate, or maybe they care more these days :)

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
New here, but registered because I just ordered a 800RR dragster.

Whan kind of springs are in there ?

I've had cams go this on Subaru race engines. Upgraded springs would cause wear on the cams. ( But allow for higher revs. )

Can the valve covers be taken off in place ?
First, Welcome to the family.!!

As to springs, it is a high performance engine.....

Yes, you can pull the valve cover and adjust the clearances with engine in place.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Check your cams before the warranty is up..!

I heard MV triples were having an issue with the finish on the cams flaking off, a similar issue to the early F4's (ask me how I know), so I checked the cams on my Rivale a week before the warranty was up and sure enough the intake cam had the issue.

The exhaust cam had minor flaws, but I'm not going to worry about it.

The bike only has 3500 miles on it.

I've been using full synthetic Castrol RS 5W-40 motorcycle oil since new. First change was at 400 miles and it's been changed twice since, so a total of 3 oil/filter changes.

It's something else to check before your warranty is up. At $1000 per cam, it's not a cheap fix if you have to open your wallet..! And who knows if the next cam will be good! :wtf:
anyone notice the cam stand bolts are Torx!!

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
anyone notice the cam stand bolts are Torx!!
Duh, why does it take you so long to catch up mate, we've been talking about them litteraly for years, it must be those glasses :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
First, Welcome to the family.!!

As to springs, it is a high performance engine.....

Yes, you can pull the valve cover and adjust the clearances with engine in place.
Thank you !

Can't wait to ride my dragster. I'm coming from a '15 ducati, so I'm hopefull to envoy the MV ! ( I haven't even tried it ! )

So yeah, a shim-over-bucket system can usually help alleviate the stress on the cams when running race-oriented valve springs. They put so much pressure on the valve ( making sure it comes back as fast as the piston comes up - aka, more rev's ). One solution is to run thicker oil, that will create a thicker film between the shim and cam lobe. Startups are critical to cams, as all the oil is down low. A thicker oil helps keep a film between the lobe and bucket.

( They look like buckets actually... am I wrong ? )

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
You are correct...but it is shim UNDER bucket (or tappet more appropriately).

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

You are correct...but it is shim UNDER bucket (or tappet more appropriately).
google valve tappet.......

word has been in use since 1715 in Thomas Newcomen's atmospheric beam engine

forerunner to the steam engine

DOHC motors have valve buckets......usally with the shim underneath

:drummer:

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

Rich;
in the 1st BlogSpot picture......

notice the flat spots on the cam? shitty cam grinder.....it has bad bearings

that they make excuses for substandard manfacturering defects that have been

around for 18 years and havent been fixed is PATHETIC

my friend Ed holds all the patents on cam grinders......Carl asked if I could get SPR

cams reground.......I took one to Ed ......he looked at it and smiled "no, its silly"

argue with Ed Iskenderian.......The Cam Father.....you'll lose

:naughty:

·
Administrator
19,841 Posts
google valve tappet.......

word has been in use since 1715 in Thomas Newcomen's atmospheric beam engine

forerunner to the steam engine

DOHC motors have valve buckets......usally with the shim underneath

:drummer:
Yes, but tappet is what they are called in parts and service manuals from many manufacturers.

Currently a recall to replace "tappets and cam shafts" on a few models from Suzuki.

So regardless of your definition and origins, that's what they are called. Although most of us 'Muricans' do refer to them as "buckets".

1 - 20 of 65 Posts