MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I checked to see if my hub had any play and to my surprise when I shook the rear wheel violently side to side there was the slightest bit of play, at first I thought the worst, then I checked the 55mm nut on the sprocket side and even more shocking it was finger tight, even with the locking spring, so I tightened it to the 200nm of torque as per manual from donsy sight, hope 2012 and 2013 specs are the same, anyway point is, has anyone experienced this and or check if yours is loose am keen to know, all the play is gone now but maybe the damage is already done

·
Vendor
5,641 Posts
You have to ask yourself,who was the last person to torque that nut,and how long has it been loose? When the sprocket side nut is loose,the needle bearings inner ring can spin/tilt which causes premature wear. I would certainly pull the hub out,check for any wear and service it.Then when you re-install the hub you can torque all bolts/nuts to correct tension.Who knows what else is not the correct torque?

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Yeah good point mitchy, thanks
Don't forget, to check the torque you need to first slacken the nut and then start from that point. Otherwise you will be measuring static torque and the nut will likely be looser than you think.

The slackness you observed will be evident if the sprocket nut isn't tight. The nut tightens down a stack of inner sleeves ( tubes) that run right through the axle assembly. That looseness wouldn't mean you have definitely damaged your bearings but, as Mitchy said check them as it might have.

For myself this would be a good moment to order some CBR bearings off Noel the Knurl and zero time your hub or get a Mitchy hub and be done with it.

joe

·
Registered
252 Posts
That happened to me. I had just fitted a new tyre and had the wheel off. I spoke with a Ducati Dealer and mentioned it some time later. He said that every time the wheel is off you should re-tighten the sprocket side.
Loosening the wheel side should have no effect on the sprocket side but he said that he had seen this happen several times on Ducatis and MV's and the only common factor was removal of the wheels

·
Vendor
5,641 Posts
That happened to me. I had just fitted a new tyre and had the wheel off. I spoke with a Ducati Dealer and mentioned it some time later. He said that every time the wheel is off you should re-tighten the sprocket side.
Loosening the wheel side should have no effect on the sprocket side but he said that he had seen this happen several times on Ducatis and MV's and the only common factor was removal of the wheels
First I have heard of this.Removing the wheel side nut and wheel should not effect the sprocket side nut tension at all because the wheel sits on the axle flange.But of course I could be wrong.:)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Was hand loose, wheel side on a brand new 1090rr straight from the factory.And my mate had done 9000 km on it ,discovered when he changed the back Tyre saved by a 2 cent locking wire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very interesting, it's got me thinking now, how many premature hub failures if any have been caused by something as simple as checking tightness of a couple nuts?

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
shit

or over tightened pinch bolts?

found 1 torqued to 150lbft/200Nm

who do you think changes your tires at the dealership??????

the lowest paid person there.... the pimple faced idiot that smokes dope

out behind the trash bin...... and you wonder why stuff is wrong?????

when I worked for FW Egli in Switzerland who changed the tires?

the workshop boss Seppi Arnold....the 2nd highest paid guy in the place,

he did the entire job, then test rode your bike after cleaning the tires

with lacquer thinner

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Have found the sprocket side nut hand tight after a major service at the dealer, I`m the only one who touches my bike now. As for the act of removing the rear wheel being the culprit ,that sounds like rubbish given that the sprocket side nut has a safety clip fitted(or should have), another dealer to be avoided perhaps. P.S. This is not an anti dealer rant.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well, I guess I should tell you my little tale of the sprocket side nut.... This one time (not at band camp) I discovered the sprocket side nut was loose, like half a turn loose when I re-torqued it up. This was about 100km after I'd have the axle out for some reason. I know for sure I torqued it all up properly when I put it all back together, the misses remembers helping me do it. So every time I touch that side now I check it again 10 and 100km later, but it's never happened again.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Anyway , I was like on my way to band camp today and it was amazing cuz I like had this thought that maybe the nut slackens off due to expansion and contraction of the sprocket carrier plate. The plate is quite a thickness of aluminium and as I was told at band camp one year it has a high Co - efficient of expansion. Soooo it could cause the nut to let go its grip.

Its amazing what happens at band camp.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
I hate loose nuts at band camp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts