MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day on my way to work the bike just stopped when I came to an intersection. The battery was flat. I put in a new battery and 3 days later it was flat as well. My fault I should have paid more attention to the charging system after I put the new battery in. I just did a quick voltage check across the battery (had 13+ volts at idle) and thought all was ok. Obviously it wasn't because three days later the same thing happened with the new battery. Bike just stopped.

So a bit of investigating showed the start relay was not in good shape. See the pics below. Can anyone give me a valid explanation as to what could have caused this. I was wondering if this could have been caused by Australia lights on which means the headlight is burning all the while the bike is running. This would certainly increase the current draw which would produce heat. I would be interested to see is anyone else has seen this.

I have since replaced the connector and and cleaned up the relay. I didn't replace it as it metered out ok. With the new connector I have about 14.4v across the battery with high beam at 2000rpm.(as per the manual) All seems good now. I wont call success until I take it for a long ride and manage to not to flatten the battery in three days.

cheers
Rob

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
This is a well discussed and "common" problem on the 1090RR bikes...I'll assume that's what you have.

Those connections should be periodically cleaned, a good contact preservative or corrosion preventative applied and tightened to spec.

Current draw across a poor connection causes this.

Oh, and as a rule, a new 12V six cell battery will produce 13.2 VDC at rest. You bike's charging system will produce between 14.3VDC and 15(ish) VDC.

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
No worries Rob...we are here to help each other.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Cue the song: 'And another one bites the dust, and another one, and another one...'

Make sure you tighten up the spade connectors periodically, to reduce the chance of a loose connection making heat.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Crap contacts and or water are the usual causes. Solder the pins to the wires, don't just rely on a crimp joint or it WILL happen again. Sometimes the wires just up from the connector melt too, not always obvious unless you unwrap the covering far enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts