MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

On my F4 750 2000 model I have a Varta Battery that is identical to this:-

https://www.battery2u.co.uk/varta-sealed-motorbike-batteries-508901015-jis-code-ytz10s--ytz10s-bs.aspx

The bike has a Datatool Evo Veto alarm which was fitted back in 2000. The bike is very rarely used indeed and sits in the garage with an Optimate that is very similar to this:-

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/7754

I don't have the original instructions but I would appreciate thoughts on whether it is best to leave the charger on permanently on trickle or alternatively using a timer plug to switch the charge on once a day for an hour or so.

Cheers

Sub

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have exactly the same model of Optimate as well as one of their models for LiPo too. That charger will be fine with your Varta battery which is a std lead acid one as the web page states that it comes with an acid pack.

Optimates are designed to be left permanently connected, I've never had an issue with doing this. Battery on my last bike lasted 9 years and was only replaced due to concerns over its age rather than actual performance issues.

The LiPo battery on my Turismo is permanently hooked up to the Optimate when its not in use.

·
Administrator
19,829 Posts
What Chas said !!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice guys.

What I suppose I should have said is the question relates to a drive to reduce my energy bill. I am sure the charger uses only a small amount of power in maintenance mode however I suppose I should have asked if a short burst of charge per day would hurt the battery

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't think it's worth loosing sleep over TBH

According to the Optimate website said:
Typical annual energy cost: Less than £1.00 per year (continuous maintenance)
I've just brought my Turismo out of storage in my sisters barn (left marital home in September). It was in there for just under 5 months with no power. I have alarm and tracker fitted. As I had the OEM BS battery as well as the LiPo I swapped them over every two to three weeks bringing the one not in use home to charge. No problems with this arrangement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts