MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pirellis are bald and I got some new tires and a special tool for the nut on the hub. I'm thinking of taking the bike to the local Aprilia dealer to get the tires put on. My problem is that I don't yet have the factory rear stand. So I'm wondering if the shop is likely to have a stand that will work - or is the MV stand the only one that will fit? Anybody else ever encounter this problem?

And no, taking the bike to the 'local' MV dealer isn't practical because it's a 4 hour drive each way.

·
Vendor
5,372 Posts
Dont worry,I am sure the bike shop will be able to lift the bike,either a rear stand or a swingarm pivot stand,most bike shops have to cater for different brands of bikes,Mitch.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you have a step later and straps you can get it done.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, they won't have it. Buy the pitbul, it's much better.
I'm trying to avoid spending more money. Already spent quite a bit over the past month or two.

Dont worry,I am sure the bike shop will be able to lift the bike,either a rear stand or a swingarm pivot stand,most bike shops have to cater for different brands of bikes,Mitch.
Ok, I was thinking maybe they could figure something out but I didn't know how difficult it is to support a bike with this kind of swingarm.

If you have a step later and straps you can get it done.
I'm not really wanting to do it myself. I'm living in a rented house so it's not like I can make holes for anchor points in the ceiling. And hanging the bike from step ladders doesn't sound very fun.

I guess I'll ride it to the shop this weekend and talk to them about it. I need to point out that the chain should be more loose than usual. And that they should use the special tool for the hub. And they should be careful about following the torque specs for the rear hub. Anything else I should mention to make sure I don't get a nasty surprise?

·
Vendor
5,372 Posts
You dont touch the chain adjustment when taking the wheel off mate,just undo the lefthand threaded wheel nut and the wheel just falls off,everything else is untouched,thats the benefit of a singlesided swingarm,Mitch.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You dont touch the chain adjustment when taking the wheel off mate,just undo the lefthand threaded wheel nut and the wheel just falls off,everything else is untouched,thats the benefit of a singlesided swingarm,Mitch.
On the brute you have to remove the silencers, or swing them out of the way

·
Vendor
5,372 Posts
Sorry,forgot I was in the Brutale section,I have F4 on the brain,but my point is the shop does not have to touch the chain adjustment,Mitch.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the bike to the Aprilia place today. I felt much better once the mechanic told me that he knew a little about MV's and had replaced a hub on a 910R before. He did a great job and didn't scratch anything. He was a little aghast that I was putting Shinko Verge tires on it. I know it's sacrilege but I drive too much to buy expensive soft tires (and there aren't any curves in Savannah). He test drove it after installing the tires and must've liked it cause he said he had found his next bike.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Pilot Roads would have been a better choice

·
Registered
73 Posts
John that bike was treated to Supercorsa Pros sc1 front and sc2 back for it's first life! I bet she's in the garage crying right now begging to come back to Cali and get the right shoes on! Sorry I had to say it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John that bike was treated to Supercorsa Pros sc1 front and sc2 back for it's first life! I bet she's in the garage crying right now begging to come back to Cali and get the right shoes on! Sorry I had to say it.
Dang! So those weren't the original tires? You had already changed the tires before 1500 miles? Well, it's now a 2-up sport touring bike so I got rubber appropriate for its new purpose. I can't be changing tires every month or so. And I have always bought Shinko tires and have been really happy with them. The new Verge tires even look pretty good:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Haven't you seen my post? You can change your tire no problem, no stand required! All you need is a 55mm socket, a car you don't use anymore, and three other guys:f4:....

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haven't you seen my post? You can change your tire no problem, no stand required! All you need is a 55mm socket, a car you don't use anymore, and three other guys:f4:....
When I came back in the Army I had to ditch all the 'cars I don't use anymore' and such. Too much trouble to move stuff like that everywhere you go. And I don't think the wife would have been very understanding about parking the bike on the couch for a few days - she's just unreasonable like that sometimes.:D

The guy at the shop did a good job with the tires. I'm even thinking of getting improved rear bearings and having him install them. I just have to figure out which ones I should buy.

The bike is still a joy to ride. We did a little 200 mile excursion today. I still like to look at photos of other bikes but I can honestly say I never, ever see a bike that I would rather have than my Brutale.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts