MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure my right fork is lower on oil. there's been a small amount of oil on the right stanchion. I just didn't think much of it.

anyways I thought I use esq'z me's business card method to clean the seal and refill the oil before I send it to the shop.

What do you guys think? or should I just pay up.

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
Clean the seal and go for a ride. If it isn't leaking anymore then ride on....

A very small amount of oil makes a very big mess. Unless you want to change the oil in both legs then you probably shouldn't worry about the lost oil in the one.

Of course, changing the oil and getting the levels perfectly even is always good maintenance practice.
Have you ever done this type work before? And can you support the bike with the front end removed?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should clarify.

There's been a small amount of oil on the right fork for awhile. My friend noticed a flat spot on the front tire and suggest the suspension oil should be checked. I've also noticed the right side handle bar points at a lower angle while I ride and the front is not perfectly balanced the last ride or two.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The oil is for dampening not ride height. In theory the bike should sit at the same height in the front end with no oil in the forks it's the spring preload that determines your ride height.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
QldMV, what i'm thinking is the right side is sagging more than the left when I'm riding.

I will check the preload settings.
The forks are bolted together by the triple clamps, "one moves-then the other moves the same amount".

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
QldMV, what i'm thinking is the right side is sagging more than the left when I'm riding.

Physically impossible. The front suspension, as Donsy pointed out, is a rigidly bolted together affair.

All the current MX bikes sold by major manufacturers have forks that feature separate functions in each fork leg. The latest MX front forks have no spring, with one leg handling damping and the other handling spring function through multiple air chambers, some running 170 psi or more.

The wear on your tire is probably from road crowning (higher in the center to facilitate water drainage) which causes the tire to wear more on the high side. I have no answer for the handlebars, most likely they are bent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts