MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I did a quick search for how to change the battery and I couldn't find anything so please forgive me if this is a repeat thread.

I have a dead battery and I need to change it.
I was looking at the bike and the manual I found at: http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/manuals/mv-agusta-f3-frame-manual.pdf
and it seems to me I have to disconnect the fuel tank and the tail unit in order to get to the battery, is this correct?
Is there any other/easier way to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Could be me, but is your F3 not fitted with a factory delivered charger??

·
Registered
583 Posts
Could be me, but is your F3 not fitted with a factory delivered charger??

Dealer - fitted charger.

I too needed a new battery very soon after delivery. The stocker wouldn't hold a charge, even for a fuel stop.

I feel your pain, it's a fair bit of work to get to. However, since I've swapped mine out, no more issues at all!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so it will be a painful process.

Any tips on this project before I start?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like it will be a pain in the neck to change the battery. I am almost tempted to take it to the leadership!
1. Time to actually do it
2. Know how.

Well CAG at this rate the next time I ride this bike it will be at the Bubba V, so I might just wait to take the 13hour drive to Cartersville.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Do it yourself!! It's fiddly and probably way more work than it would be on any other machine, but its not technically hard. Take your time, have a beverage or two of your choice along the way. Be sure to get the shop manual from Donsy's very generous web site.

To me, simple maintenance and understanding of how bits interconnect is part of the experience of bike ownership. Enjoy it! Curse a bit along the way (really, who thought this is the best place to locate the battery!!) but have some fun.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing,
does the F3 have the same battery was the F4?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nevermind, found the procedure for tail and tank removal on the workshop manual. thanks.
Are you doing a battery change out Supertarmac?
I'm thinking about putting a Yuasa in there. I am a little paranoid about my sprag clutch going, so if it might help I'll give it a try.

What would you say it's the failure rate on the 800 engine? Are all destined to fail?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I recently did mine replacing the original with a Shorai. I didn't remove the fuel tank but undid all the fuel tank fasteners as per manual and then propped the tank so as to have enough room to remove the original batterry and fit the new one. Tightening battery connections is easy but having room to get the battery in/out was tricky. If adopting this method then be aware that there are some electrical connections to the fuel pump which may become dislodged, as I found out, but they are easy to replace. Also be aware that the fairing/tail unit fasteners are mostly 5 mm threads but are of different lengths and with different length spacers. Obviously designed by an engineer or accountant as they never had to work on the bloody thing. For some reason there is no battery strap but provision for it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
theres no battery strap but when replacing the battery don't forget that the two self adhesive squares of rubber must be removed from the old battery and repositioned on the new, their function seems to be to stop the battery moving about in the vertical plane

·
Registered
895 Posts
theres no battery strap but when replacing the battery don't forget that the two self adhesive squares of rubber must be removed from the old battery and repositioned on the new, their function seems to be to stop the battery moving about in the vertical plane
Thanks a lot Chris, now I have to take the damn tank off again!:thewife:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts