MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Chain you gentleman and lady's using on your bikes with good success , DID GB 525VX-122 Pro Street X-Ring will this be good for my brutale 1078 rr as i already have worn out my 520 chain ,but i must say my bike shop had nothing else in stock.

Now i do ride fairly hard and do a lot of wheelies ,so your recommendations please .

plus i am getting old and my fingers are starting to hurt when typing trying to look up info.So help me out.

Port please Darling.:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
The chain is worn and the sprockets not ?
Please explain how this is going to be happen.
Further if You change from a 520 to a 525 chain You have to change the sprockets to 525.
We talk here about the width of the chain Eddy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
General rule of thumb is to change the sprockets when changing the chain. As for going from a 520 to a 525 chain, that's a good idea in my opinion. A little stronger chain, less likely to stretch as much under abuse and should give you a decent service life so long as you take care of it. Some may say the heavier chain creates more drag but in our situation, a street ridden bike and it being a little heavier duty is like cheap insurance.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not sure where all that change as a set babble came from. May be more a marketing scheme than anything else. Although, most folks don't know, or don't care to find out how to check sprockets for wear and when to toss em. If one doesn't know this stuff then just change em all at once.

However, if ones sprockets are perfectly fine and within their factory specs then there is nothing wrong with keeping until a replacement is needed.

And while a 525 chain will fit over a 520 sprocket is is HIGHLY inadvisable to do this. The whys and why nots of this are to time consuming to type out but if you google chain pitch and pitch of a sprocket. That should get one started on the basics.

·
Registered
819 Posts
We talk here about the width of the chain Eddy.

While widths of chains change with the pitch it is not a function of the pitch itself. Pitch refers to the measurement from one roller-pin center to the next roller-pin center. If one tries to use a 525 chain on 520 sprockets the rollers will not seat properly in the sprocket.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
While widths of chains change with the pitch it is not a function of the pitch itself. Pitch refers to the measurement from one roller-pin center to the next roller-pin center. If one tries to use a 525 chain on 520 sprockets the rollers will not seat properly in the sprocket.
Varium I tend to disagree to Your post.
The 5 is telling the pitch, center from one roller to the center of the next roller, and this is 5/8".
The 20, 25, 30 are describing the roller width.
Which is a 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8".

·
Registered
819 Posts
Varium I tend to disagree to Your post.
The 5 is telling the pitch, center from one roller to the center of the next roller, and this is 5/8".
The 20, 25, 30 are describing the roller width.
Which is a 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8".

Oh boy, this could get real confusing real fast. I knew i shouldn't have rushed through posting like that. For the sake of simplicity and not confusing something that doesn't need to be, i'll simply say this.....disregard the previous comment about seating rollers in the sprocket(however, still extremely inadvisable to run a 525 chain on the 520 sprocket) and following Haupti's logic is perfectly fine for sportbike chains.......which we are after all on a bike forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts