MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, a few weeks ago i posted a thread about my chain snapping and the damage it caused to the gearbox castings. Well, just returned from a couple of weeks holiday and thought i would update, i have attached pictures showing the gearbox out, the new plate etc, hoping to fit it back in tonight.
will update as i go. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
What was the cause of the chain to snap? What were the conditions at the time of the malfunction and what do you attribute the break to?

Lorenzo

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, cheers for the kind words,
if you check out the above thread thats been posted you can get an idea what happened, not 100% sure though.

Update: Put the gearbox in last night, what a job, the old plate had the original bearings pressed in and most where blind holes, spent hours carefully cutting the old plate to release them. :ahhh: :bash: All went well and it works, well....by hand, yet to put the clutch in. The neutral light is AOK, which can be broken if not enough attention is taken. I was well pleased to get it in, so i cracked open a bottle of Jamesons :yo: and spent the rest of the eve in the garden chatting to the missus....super.......But my head hurts today. :bash:
I took some pics but left the camera behind so will post tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
While you got the clutch basket out, you might as well go for a slipper clutch setup.

A slipper clutch is on my wish list, as I hate engine braking and having the rear wheels lock up when dropping a couple of gears quickly.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice idea, I dont ride it enough or even hard enough to justify, cant wait to ride it again.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, all back together now, for the 3rd time :cry: , I put it together on saturday, started and then promptly watched all the oil spit out over the floor!!! :barfalot: there was a cross drilling that was not plugged on the side of the new casting, so out it came agian, i have now got a complete geabox and clutch strip and rebuild down to 1 hour! :bash:
Anyway, she's back together and my first long ride was this morning.........she is so sweet! :love: :D
I have posted a few pics, the exhaust tips re-anodised in a shinny silver too so showing them off as well. :)
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Nice one Chris, who did your anodising as I was thinking of having mine done, and did they have large range of colours?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi Mike, i have a friend who has a machine shop, he uses an anodiser in brighton, not sure of their name i will find out. He has all the colours and charged just £8 for the lot including stripping off the old colour!!! I think that was at cost so it will be more expensive to approach normally, i would look through your yellow pages for a local anodiser they are around.good luck
Chris

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes they spoil the a*se on many a bike over here, you can get small version but the police :2up: are clamping down lately, I do have a 'show' plate but not legal. They also hate loud pipes and dark visors and will fine you accordingly!
hohum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts