MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a 2005 Brutale and i just wanted to know whats a good chain lube to use on it. Also, i am thinking of buying Honda spray cleaner and polish to use on the bike after i wash it. If anyone knows of a better one to use on an MV please let me know. thanks!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Maxima Chain Wax

That stuff is the only stuff I use. Apply it after you're done riding for the day, and let it dry overnight. Stuff doesn't fling off, and extends the life insanely. I did 16K miles on my R6 in 5 months...the chain was still in great condition.....

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Hmm...I found Chain Wax to be quite messy, and prefer to use Motorex Chain lube; much less fling-off in my experience.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
spalding12 said:
maybe in arizona that wax flings off.....
but i've never seen that happen anywhere else..... including florida

it's important to put it on at the END of your riding day
then leave it at least overnight
you can WIPE off the excess before riding again
it shouldn't fling unless you used a whole can in the first place :eek:
Maybe...My worst bout was in Utah, got all over my tail bag.
I always fully clean, dry, lube, wipe, than allow to sit overnight, all my chains, motorcycle and bicycle. In fact, I use wax products on all my bicycle chains, but I think Motorex makes some of the best products in the world.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
oicdn said:
Motorex is good shit. Bicycle chains...hmm...I just buy new ones, lol. But yeah, Motorex is good shit.
:laughing: Yeah, I still replace mine at 30% wear (extends the life of my chainrings and cassesttes substaintially), but I still need a high quality lube. I have used Finish Line's Krytech for over 10 years now, but before that I actually used to dismantle the chain, soak it in kerosene and then parafin wax every 100 miles -- anal, I know, but I also used to weigh all my components to shave grams.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My two cents:

If I take perfect care of an O, X, or XW chain with proper tension, cleaning and lube of any kind I get about 20,000 miles (though I often wind up swapping at about 15 b/c it makes me feel better). If I take imperfect care of the same type of chain, doing nothing but keeping the proper tension and applying WD40 after it gets wet, I get about 20,000 miles.

AFAICT, regular lubing does little for a sealed chain aside from keeping it looking pretty.

Of course, if you're only riding 5000 miles a year all bets are off, as the rubber rings in the chain are probably deteriorating four times faster than if you rode more often.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
giomanach said:
My two cents:

If I take perfect care of an O, X, or XW chain with proper tension, cleaning and lube of any kind I get about 20,000 miles (though I often wind up swapping at about 15 b/c it makes me feel better). If I take imperfect care of the same type of chain, doing nothing but keeping the proper tension and applying WD40 after it gets wet, I get about 20,000 miles.

AFAICT, regular lubing does little for a sealed chain aside from keeping it looking pretty.

Of course, if you're only riding 5000 miles a year all bets are off, as the rubber rings in the chain are probably deteriorating four times faster than if you rode more often.
I only lube mine after it gets wet, or every 600 miles, whichever comes first, per the manual. Certainly, o-ring chains have made maintenance a lot easier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
as far as the honda spraw cleaner goes it's the same stuff your grandmother used LEMON PLEDGE honda has it packaged for them without the nice lemon scent

vaughn fischer
new to this board but & MVs but not new to bikes

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
fazer6 said:
Maybe...My worst bout was in Utah, got all over my tail bag.
I always fully clean, dry, lube, wipe, than allow to sit overnight, all my chains, motorcycle and bicycle. In fact, I use wax products on all my bicycle chains, but I think Motorex makes some of the best products in the world.
i appreciate THAT advice
i'm going to look into their products
thanks

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Chain lube is one of those topics where people often differ in opinion. I'm about to give the Honda spray cleaner a go as I've heard good hings about it but as far as chain lube goes it's a personal preference.

I've been using the Bel Ray Clear chain (can't remember the proper name at the moment) which is a wax but I'm always on the look out for the next generation chain lube and I'm always interested to hear what others here are using.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Rockethouse said:
Chain lube is one of those topics where people often differ in opinion. I'm about to give the Honda spray cleaner a go as I've heard good hings about it but as far as chain lube goes it's a personal preference.

I've been using the Bel Ray Clear chain (can't remember the proper name at the moment) which is a wax but I'm always on the look out for the next generation chain lube and I'm always interested to hear what others here are using.
there will always be opinions about these issues
as for honda spray cleaner... i think that the products from PLEXUS are far superior

again... IMHO

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hi Guys,

There is a new product on the upswing regarding chain care.

http://www.dupont.com.au/aucorp/platforms/Safety/downloads/Dry Multi-use Lube MSDS.pdf

Not sure if there are any chemE's on here but I'd be interested in your opinion. My wife and I do a lot of miles, her double mine really, and we've always used WD40 exclusively to good effect. I've heard some really great things about the Dupont spray but also that it never degrades in the environment and a number of things about teflon fever. I have a can but it sits awaiting further info.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Rockethouse said:

I believe the Honda spray cleaner is one of the best products out there. The Harley people also have a clear spay on polish that is also very good. Take your MV over to the local Harley shop and have some fun. I emptied the place out the other morning of all the salesmen gee gawking at the Brutale, high entertainment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts